PDA

View Full Version : BASAIR..The Good and Bad, Opinions and experiences

abovetheclouds89
13th Apr 2009, 05:40
Hi All

Id like to introduce myself I am new to the PPRUNE family, long time reader first time writer :O

Just after any recomendations, opinions, experiences and advice on BASAIR aviation college out at BK..I have heard a lot of bad wrap, but find it hard to pass up a MECIR CPL and a G3 IR for 60 grand.

So yeh look forward to reading your posts thanks :)

Gayviators
13th Apr 2009, 06:37
If you had asked 10 years ago when it was a pretty chilled out school of only two small buildings and a fraction of the students they have now, I'd have said yeah.

But if doing it a little cheaper means having to put up with s**t broken Tecnams, a money hungry piece of dirt up the top (DW) who doesnt give a rats about you as long as you fill up his back pocket with cash, and a virtually completely Indian clientelle... then I would rather pay a bit more and go elsewhere. I have never worked for the guy, but did my training there and pretty well regret it.

Go somewhere where you are being taught by people who actually know how to fly themselves, like Bill Whitworth or Ray Clamback. Basair is nothing but a greedy sausage factory which now has a nasty reputation amongst past students and employees, where you will only be taught the rubbish that their own rubbish instructors have passed down.

All that said, there are still a handful of good instructors there who could probably look after you well.

coke drinker
13th Apr 2009, 07:20
Positives...staff are very good.
Negatives...planes are not in a good way, have to be vocal to ensure you get your flight

oh, and just remember that 60k is based on a minimum number of hours. You're going to pay more.

palindrome
13th Apr 2009, 10:12
Why are you even considering it when you know that there are much better schools around ?

cimore000
13th Apr 2009, 13:17
Basair is really expensive and it looks like there are many better and cheaper schools.
I hear from a lot of people that you should steer away from the big schools.

Richard Kranium
13th Apr 2009, 14:34
Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot barge pole, a friend had an aircraft on line with them, got ripped of and treated like s**t, there is no need to deal with people like this, to many slimes in business these days, you need to be careful.:hmm:

bentleg
13th Apr 2009, 21:09
Go to Curtis at Camden (http://www.curtisaviation.com.au/). Better school. Better airfield for training.

tail wheel
13th Apr 2009, 22:15
abovetheclouds89.

This thread repeats every few weeks - I suggest you use our Search function.