PDA

View Full Version : Why Have You Taken the Numbers Off?

twistedenginestarter
14th Nov 2001, 12:29
Danny I know you are want, and entitled, to mess about with this site but I really think removing the postings count is a bad move.

What are your bona fides on an information medium where everyone is anonymous? Who can you trust? What's the point in participating in a conversation where there is no incentive for the participants not to lie if they are idiots? The answer is next-to-nothing.

Well now it is precisely nothing because a person can frivolously create a fresh identity any time he wants to say something. Before you could judge how much people were putting at stake by their postings count. Now you can't.

I think it's a bad move and I can't see why you've done it.

spekesoftly
14th Nov 2001, 13:23
Has it been done to relieve server load? Membership now rapidly approaching 40,000!

You can still check the number of posts in 'profile' - e.g.- twisted....... 364 :)

expedite_climb
14th Nov 2001, 13:24
Here here !

spekesoftly
14th Nov 2001, 13:35
Or Hear! Hear! :D

Knold
14th Nov 2001, 14:15
Well, I think at least one member is grieving right now...The Govnor perhaps

Whirlybird
14th Nov 2001, 15:03
Maybe people were getting a little obsessed with numbers of posts, and practically refusing to trust anyone unless they had hundreds of 'em. But on the other hand, it was nice to have them, it did no real harm, and it's a nuisance having to check profiles. And I was going to celebrate reaching 900 very soon! So please Danny, bring back our posts!

Knold
14th Nov 2001, 15:26
Maybe this is an attempt to get more folks to advance from "Just another number"...

sky9
14th Nov 2001, 18:04
Knold

Why not; go on make a start.

Knold
14th Nov 2001, 19:04
Just don't know what to write ;)

Suppose I could get around to it one day...

PAXboy
14th Nov 2001, 19:27
Saving of server load is the most likely reason.

As to 'grading' folks by the number of posts, I think their Member number is probably of more interest. After all, some folks with high post volumes are not respected ...

It is, after all, what you say and how you say. And if that doesn't get me flamed, nothing will :)

Blacksheep
15th Nov 2001, 06:46
Anyway, doesn't the registration date carry more credibility than the number of posts?

Through difficulties to the cinema

sky9
15th Nov 2001, 13:13
Baa :D

foxmoth
15th Nov 2001, 13:35
How DO you advance from 'just another number' to having something with a little more cred?

Knold
15th Nov 2001, 14:21
Look at the top left corner for a while.

Cheers

sky9
16th Nov 2001, 16:56
Foxmouth
You pay for it. ;) ;)

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: sky9 ]

le loup garou
16th Nov 2001, 17:57
I don't understand how the number of posts or even your registration date gives you any greater credibility. Someone who is new at posting to this forum may have been browsing for years, or may even have just bought their computer.

As has been said before it is the quality not the quantity of the posts that count.

Regards le loup garou