PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue / Crew food & Water

Chief Whip
12th Apr 2009, 20:17
My employer (uk) is attempting to remove crew food, tea, coffee and limit our water to 1 litre or 1.5 litre on a 10 hour day.

I have great concerns over this move from a health & safety point of view not only because we are the only uk airline to allow 5 earlies in a row and the associated fatigue issues with this type of roster pattern.

I am looking for any relevant papers on fatgiue and food / hydration issues. If any one has a useful link I would be grateful.

Chief Whip
12th Apr 2009, 20:38
Thank you cosmos2 just the sort of answer I am looking for

cortilla
12th Apr 2009, 21:26
Somewhere in our manuals (i can't remember exactly where, and i'm nowhere near them to look it up) it says that we should drink 1 litre every 4 hours whilst flying. (UK operator shorthaul)

AppleMacster
13th Apr 2009, 19:13
Chief Whip,

The basic survival needs of an individual are generally accepted as 3 litres per day by most aid agenices and related organisations. This is a minimum for survival, not for people working in a safety-critical, time-pressured job at up to 8000' cabin altitude.

Page 17 of this World Health Organisation document "The Right To Water" (http://www2.ohchr.org/english/issues/water/docs/Right_to_Water.pdf) says between 2 litres and 4 litres, again not for those of us engaged in flying.

Applemacster

boredcounter
17th Apr 2009, 00:22
I presume you get allowances paid by the hour or sector?

You could use these to buy what is available to the passengers?

Please do copy in the Inland Revenue to your letter to the HSE, they will love it.

Elf and safety, no not at all, you have ways and means to sustain life, unlike the replies. Why do you include tea, coffee and food in your argument?

Bored

nickyjsmith
17th Apr 2009, 16:52
Sack the bean counters that came up with the idea and i bet you will more than cover the cost of drinks and food for crew.

Best way to ruin a good business is let the bean counters loose on it, they will set cost centres up and have all the departments fighting each other in no time.

For advice to people who know and run the business they are great at helping to make decisions, let them loose on something they don't really understand and well.... you see the result, a completely demoralised and undervalued commodity, the work force.

Agaricus bisporus
17th Apr 2009, 19:17
You'll notice that there is no mention of the subsidised canteen that the beancounters provide for themselves use being axed - and they can access a thousand places to trough their snouts in their lunch hour. The poor aircrew, locked up in their aircraft have no such options, nor any lunch hour, yet are targeted for starvation by some of the caustic gnomes in the office. With arseholes like this running our airlines, the future is black, not the bilious colour they rant on about.

That company's management, hand your heads in shame, shame, shame.

beachbumflyer
17th Apr 2009, 22:09
One solution: all you guys request one hour lunch or dinner break on
the ground.

Daysleeper
25th Apr 2009, 14:42
You could use these to buy what is available to the passengers?

boredcounter

Depending on the operator..... some ban staff from eating from the food loaded for the pax, even if they pay for it, weird or what but there it is.