PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of applying to Cathay Pacific?

steveb_hkg
12th Nov 2001, 09:39
If you are thinking of applying to Cathay, but are worried about the ALPA blacklist, here are my thoughts:

CX is still a great airline to work for, so go ahead and apply. Only a true prick would expect someone not to take a job if offered.

The ALPA ban is especially stupid as it will not stop people from joining CX and by doing so the union support will be diluted.

By joining you will not be taking anyone's job. Amongst the 49ers, there are few who did not deserve to be sacked. Unless many of them have a change of attitude, then they would not be welcomed back by many other aircrew. The most offensive part of their dismissal was the way in which it was done (without going through an open and fair procedure), but in many cases there are bloody good reasons for their firings (the company isn't dumb).

So, don't be scared to apply. No one resonable will hold it against you.

SteveB

DownIn3Green
13th Nov 2001, 09:02
Steve,

So is there a ban or not?

Despite what you say, I have some friends (i.e.-know some pilots) who are on "the list" from EAL '89.

Would Cathy be different?

Are you management?

Just a few innocent questions... :cool:

dv8
17th Nov 2001, 19:56
To the top

ronnie123
18th Nov 2001, 13:58
OK NOW THAT EVERY ONE IS DEFYING THE BAN.. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME IF FAA, ATPL WRITTEN IS VALID FOR THE SO POSITION, PLEASE HELP ME DEFY THE BAN TOO... THKS

LambJalfraezi
18th Nov 2001, 15:36
This is not really anything to do with this thread, but didn't know where else to post. I had a great friend at Uni. (12 years ago), called steven haddad. He is, I believe, now a cathay pilot. If anyone knows him, please ask him to e-mail me at the address listed in my profile. Cheers.

BusyB
19th Nov 2001, 15:48
I wouldn't take anything said by Steveb_hkg as gospel. His comments about the 49'ers are certainly defamatory and are very similar to the one by CX management that have initiated a $180 million lawsuit in USA. Try http//bbs.hkalpa.org/public for more accurate info.

Roadtrip
20th Nov 2001, 04:31
I wouldn't touch any job that would put you on a scab list. If you do, plan on working at Cathay for the rest of your career flying with some guys that despise you, or third rate non-union American carriers. Like it or not, it's almost certain that everyone interviewed by major airline is checked against a scab list.

jtr
20th Nov 2001, 09:14
Steve, congratulations on your first post.
For those of you considering going against the ban, think long and hard. There are some folk over here that aim to make your life hell. Just a heads up, not a threat.

steveb_hkg
23rd Nov 2001, 11:06
Just to clarify and answer a few questions. I am NOT management. There IS still a ban. There will be those who will be rather anti those who join...but I do NOT feel a ban is morally or professionaly the right way to go. The 'decent' 49ers will get their jobs back via re-interviews. The true anti-company guys are history (but are on the AoA committee).

Long Haul
26th Nov 2001, 19:05
In my shorter-haul days we had a co-pilot who had been previously employed by Eastern Airlines. He had been an instructor on light aircraft at the time, when Eastern called him out of the blue and asked him if he wanted a job. He took it, worked there for a year before they went bust and ended up with our commuter airline. It was generally accepted that he would never pass a captain's checkride, and every time he walked through the crew lounge he was greeted with hoots of derision. Be verycareful before you go up against ALPA. We don't take kindly to scabs.