View Full Version : Sick pay scheme's

Mr.Brown
12th Apr 2009, 11:04
The airline I work for is currently trying to implement a new sick leave policy for all staff which is trying to change certain elements that it feels are nessecary.

The main sticking point for me is the fact that they now want all shift workers (ie Engineers, flight/cabin crew etc) to obtain a doctors certificate for any day absent during the easter bank holiday weekend and also during a 10 day period at Christmas. As most GP surgeries are closed during those periods or part of, the chances of actually getting a certificate are slim.

Does anyone else have such a system in place and does anyone else think it might actually encourage staff, that are critical to aircraft safety, to come into work when sick for fear of losing payment?

Your thoughts please.

Re-Heat
14th Apr 2009, 11:37
Your answer is here:

DWP - Services and benefits - Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) (http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/statutory_sick_pay.asp)

But your employer cannot ask you to provide a sick note, for the first 7 days that you are sick. They may ask you to fill in a self-certificate of their own or form SC2 which you can get from your GP's surgery, or HM Revenue & Customs website.

BALLSOUT
14th Apr 2009, 13:48
Re-Heat,
The scheme you mention is only for the statutory sick pay system. If your company have a scheme in place where they make up your pay they can ask for more evidence. The company I work for need a doctors note after two days sick, but they then make up your salary.

Mr.Brown
15th Apr 2009, 07:40
The Problem is the company sick pay scheme is in our contracts and clearly states you can self cert for the 7 days. However it has a clause that states that company can without hold sick pay in "circumstances it deem's appropiate"
The main problem being that if you were sick on Easter Saturday and you only get paid if you get a doctors cert, how do you get a cert?? My doctor has said I can't get one as how will they know I was sick?:ugh: