PDA

View Full Version : No to Smart !

OFSO
12th Apr 2009, 09:24
Advertising in general - I refuse to buy certain products because their adverts irritate me so much, or used to interrupt F-1 when it was on ITV.

Advertising in particular - a Smart car advert is currently popping up on my yahoo mail page - all the blockers I have tried will not remove it - but one thing is now sure - As a consequence, I would NEVER buy a Smart car.

Anyone else annoyed so much by ads. ?

Sprogget
12th Apr 2009, 09:33
New Bowlyhang! Your life will be changed for the better by new bowlyhang, a fantastic bowler hat & coat hanger in one. Buy your bowlyhang today at all good retail outlets. Now back to the thread.

Man-on-the-fence
12th Apr 2009, 11:17
I will not buy any product that uses an advert that is obviously filmed in a foreign language then dubbed into English.

Storminnorm
12th Apr 2009, 11:23
Does that include American "English"?

Because you deserve it, etc?

boris
12th Apr 2009, 11:49
I will never buy car insurance from Footman James until or unless they shoot that irritating little prat dressed up as a footman in their ads.

frostbite
12th Apr 2009, 11:57
I would never buy a Smart anyway - ridiculous looking things.

Once asked an owner if you could buy the back end upgrade at a later date.

Storminnorm
12th Apr 2009, 12:00
Do they provide the batteries? Or are they "Extras"???

Rainboe
12th Apr 2009, 12:00
Funny, I thought nobody else apart from me actually boycotted products because of their wildly irritating adverts. For me, these include:
*Everything that uses Scottish accents because some prat produced a 'study' that allegedly said Scottish accents were regarded as 'trustworthy'! When I see Scots football supporters chanting 'Anyone But England!', I think 'that works two ways!'.
*We have a Solicitor's practice round here that uses a radio ad with an absurd Geordie accent from a middle aged man. Do they think that appeals to Hampshire people? I will never pass your door!
*One of the 118 247 adverts has a stupid song with the 118 247 sung in absurd voices over and over. The radio goes straight off for the day. I would NEVER use that service.
*Churchill car insurance with that daft dog annoys me, but I will still go with whoever is cheapest!

The dubbed voices one irritates me too. The adverts for babies bottoms stuff irritate me- why do they have to show women patting babies bottoms? If there was any danger of me having such a little monster, I would boycott that product! I was aghast in the States to see an advert for feminine hygiene products with diagrams of how to use them, on TV! I boycott those too!

Storminnorm
12th Apr 2009, 12:06
Feminine Hygeine? Stand 'em in the back yard and hose 'em down.
At least once a month.

bnt
12th Apr 2009, 13:30
When they say "Scottish accents", I think they mean a nice Aberdeen burr, or a plummy Midlothian, but not a Glaswegian. Would you want Billy Connolly reading the BBC News? (Caution: many Fs and Bs.)

mdNqUW5wwTE

mr fish
12th Apr 2009, 14:02
i for one will never call a MARATHON a SNICKERS,
mind you, having not eaten one of the FILLING PULLING BAS:mad:DS in
over fifteen years it really dos'nt matter!!!!

remember kids, "may contain nuts":ok:

Boltt
13th Apr 2009, 10:38
Advertisements are of various types depending on the product and the media where it is being placed. Advertisements can be in the print media, or audio-visual media or the electronic media including the internet. Advertising Solution (http://www.ultimateadvertisingsolution.com/index.php) on the internet is the latest concept catching up with most businesses.

passy777
13th Apr 2009, 15:31
We have a Solicitor's practice round here that uses a radio ad with an absurd Geordie accent from a middle aged man. Do they think that appeals to Hampshire people? I will never pass your door!

I also have an 'absurd' Geordie accent, but how does one determine someone is 'middle aged' from a radio ad? :hmm: - although they do say some people have the perfect face for radio!

Whatever advertising methods are used (people, meercats or animated dogs), or how that person or 'thing' speaks, seems irrelevant to me. I do not assume the quality of a product relates to the accent spoken or methods used during a broadcasted advertisement. Indeed, using seemingly 'absurd' or annoying accents or stupid puppets ensures that that product/advert is remembered. Obviously, the nodding dog and the absurd Geordie accent seems to be embedded in Rainboe's mind - Successful campaign by the advertising agency I would say.

By suggesting that an 'absurd' accent would prevent a person from Hampshire using a solicitor contradicts the statement that a suitably priced insurance product advertised by an animated nodding dog with a limited vocabulary would be purchased provided that the price was right.:ugh:

Ah well, must take the whippet for a walk now, feed me pigeons and go to the offy to get me Newcastle Broon in to watch the footie. Now where's me flat cap?

Lon More
13th Apr 2009, 19:29
I've gone off spag bog

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYcQ-iU5GbE&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYcQ-iU5GbE&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and stuff the Smart, i want a Piaggio Ape Ducati
http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/ape_desmosedici_1.jpg

C130 Techie
13th Apr 2009, 19:44
There's a Co-op ad which really grates due to the scots accent. Apparently they are 'guud with fuud'.

superspotter
13th Apr 2009, 20:16
That guy "guud with fuud", he's now got a job on Etihad as a stewardess:)
He was on the EY015 AUH-MAN yesterday!

Richard Taylor
13th Apr 2009, 20:18
Rainboe ranting against the Scots again...well I never! :rolleyes:

There's a nice newsgirl on Channel 5 these days that has a nice, Aberdonian burr...
(aaaaahhhhh....Isla.....;))

Sprogget
13th Apr 2009, 20:21
Isla trakaaa,,traque...tragaair, Isla nice rack.:E

goatface
13th Apr 2009, 20:24
The one with a lttle boy who insists to his "mother" that he wants to do a poo in the bathroom with a certain brand of air freshener in it.

It's so irritating that I don't even know what the product is, but I sincerely hope that said little boy grows up to be someone really really famous.

Um... lifting...
13th Apr 2009, 20:53
i for one will never call a MARATHON a SNICKERS,

If you ever crave one in the colonies, you'll have to... elsewise nobody will know what you're on about. They've always been called Snickers over here. A Marathon was something else entirely...

The Marathon Candy Bar - www.VictorySweets.com (http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/confectioners/news/news_marathon_bar.htm)