PDA

View Full Version : USN colour schemes in Vietnam

evilroy
12th Apr 2009, 09:04
I'm just watching some Vietnam-era docos put out by the US (The American Navy in Vietnam), and they showed some footage that I think is from the USS KITTY HAWK.

I was interested to see at least 1 x F-4 and 1 x A-6 painted in what appeared to be dark gray or possibly blue. There was also footage of a RA-5 in the tan / green jungle camouflage pattern.

Anyone know if there is a website where I can see full examples, and when they were used? I've seen the USAF F-4s in the jungle cam but never an RA-5 from a carrier. Likewise, I don't remember this dark gray colour on the F-4 / A-6, only on helos like the SH-2F Sea Sprite.

Brewster Buffalo
12th Apr 2009, 13:57
With regard to the A-6 I understand that VA-65 trailed a camouflage colour scheme for a short time in 1966 whilst aboard the USS Constellation. Described the upper surfaces as a dark almost black green and deep blue with under surfaces remaining a flat white.

As for the Vigilante this also tested camouflage in 1966 but aboard USS Kitty Hawk. Unit was RVAH-13 but I can't tell you the colours.

A search on VA-65 and RVAH-13 might produce something.

Good Vibs
13th Apr 2009, 08:17
The USN wanted a better camouflage for combat over Vietnam as the standard Gray & White did not hide the a/c at all.
They tried various darker colors which were better over the jungle...BUT...
hard to see on the carriers at night or in bad weather. Therefore they decided it
was too dangerous for the deck crews, etc.:ooh:

evilroy
13th Apr 2009, 10:36
Thanks for the replies. I found out that in 1965 the USS KITTY HAWK had half it's air wing panted in camo colours (mostly the standard USAF jungle cam, but some experimental versions as well).

I still haven't found if there was a dark blue or dark grey scheme.

Brewster Buffalo
13th Apr 2009, 19:57
They tried various darker colors which were better over the jungle...BUT... hard to see on the carriers at night or in bad weather

Well I can see that as a reason but why then were the Royal Navy F-4s painted dark blue??

sycamore
13th Apr 2009, 21:04
The RN eat a lot more carrots !!!

Good Vibs
14th Apr 2009, 13:39
I would think that almost all of the Navy's mission's in Vietnam were over land, ie jungle. Because of the threat of Mig attack they wanted a camoflage to help protect the a/c from being seen from above by the naked eye. Therefore the colors they tried were better than the standard Gray & White.
Of course during WW2 and Korea they had a dark blue scheme.
During WW2 in the Pacific & Atlantic, etc the Navy's mission was almost always over the ocean or islands, therefore Dark Blue, etc was the best.
During Korea...Good Question?

Brewster Buffalo
14th Apr 2009, 20:08
The RN eat a lot more carrots !!!

and the French Navy their carottes..

37 - France - Navy Dassault Super Etendard Aircraft Photos - Greenham Common @ Airplane-Pictures.net (http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image10349.html)

Good Vibs
15th Apr 2009, 08:42
A wonderful photo of a beautiful a/c. Regarding the camouflage, maybe the French have had it right all along!:ok:

sooms
15th Apr 2009, 09:45
Got an Osprey picture book somewhere- 'Phantoms Forever' by Bob Dorr with pictures of an F4J/S? on USS Forrestal in the 70's in 'Ferris Camouflage' which might be it- give google a try..rgds sooms