PDA

View Full Version : too many interviews, too many X-rays

flexi_time
12th Apr 2009, 08:33
I just got back fro China for a Job interview.
Before even attempting a CAAC mediacl check we had to undergo an Immigration medical which included a lung X-ray(with testi shield)
The next day we had a CAAC medical which also included a lungs X-ray.
Altough not happy about having two X-rays in two days I went along figuring it is better then being unemployed.
After endless examinations I got to see the doctor whom was smoking in the examination room. he wanted to know if I had any surguries.
When I told him about my microdesectemy 8 years ago due to a herniated disc he immideatley sent me back to the X-ray room for three more shots at my lower back (with no testi shield this time).
I thought that I was finaly done with my radiation treatment when I got back to the hotel room.
To my surprise I received a phone call from one of the Airline HR people telling me that I will be picked up the next morning to go and have a CT on my lower back. I understand that a CT is comprised from multiple X-ray images in order to build a 3D picture.
I am a little conserned about getting so much radiation in such a short period of time. also getting zapped right at the family jewels doesn't make me too happy either.
I am looking at another two possible interviews in Asia all requiring pre- hire medical screening which include lung X-rays.
How many X-rays is it safe to get in what period of time. Am I being too paranoid?

Martin1234
12th Apr 2009, 08:37
It is not possible to get the originals or if possible copies of all the x-rays taken, as described by yourself, along with a certification by the doctor that it's yours, and show them to any other potential authority/prospective employer?

flexi_time
12th Apr 2009, 09:08
I couldn't even get them from the immigration clinc to the CAAC clinc whitin the same city.

Loose rivets
12th Apr 2009, 16:38
How many X-rays is it safe to get in what period of time.

None, in any period of time.

The amount of X-rays you were subject to is just plain madness. But it tallies with the 'doctor' smoking in the surgery.

Having said this, I wouldn't worry about what's happened so far, statistically you're ahead of the game, but there is mounting evidence that doctors should make minimal use of X-rays. Where it's the lesser of two evils, there's a case for using them, but for routine examinations, the use as you describe shows a clear lack of awareness of the latest findings.

gingernut
19th Apr 2009, 18:29
To get things in perspective, not having an x-ray equates to you being exposed to 1 days background radiation.

1 chest x-ray equates to 3 days backround radiation.

Lumbar spine aprox 5 months backround radiation.

CT (Abdomen) aprox 4.5 years.

Which is why we are unkeen to send patients for x-ray unless the benfits outweigh the risks.

Bottom line, if your back aches, and your quack rules out "red flags," take up swimming and avoid hospitals.

Depending on who you belive, CT scans spark off about 1 cancer in every 2000 performed, and medical x-rays cause about 200 cancer deaths per year (UK). Making the Best Use of a Department of Clinical Radiology (http://qmc.nhs.uk/radguide/index.html) , bit dated, but usfull.

nannodnai
19th Apr 2009, 21:29
Totally agree that this amount of x-ray exposure without any genuine clinical justification is quite outrageous, and could eventually be dangerous to an individual's well-being.

Interesting to see the comparisons quoted by gingernut , I've never seen it put quite that way, quite so starkly, before !

Every now and again as an AME I get requests from companies or employers (usually the personnel departments) to arrange x-rays on their employees who are attending for medicals. I then usually ask the company to provide a written reason for why they are asking for the test.
Most times they decide thay won't bother !