View Full Version : Noise regulations in Belgium

cargo-dus
11th Apr 2009, 07:41
Hello.
Any truth in rumours about new regulations in Belgium, coming to effect in June banning ops of older Stage 3-compliant aircraft like 747 Classic ?
Would affect quite a lot of operators,especially at LGG/OST

johnnyDB
11th Apr 2009, 10:57
I wouldn't be surprised, non-aviation friendly country!

mutt
11th Apr 2009, 17:02
Where did you get this information from? We operate Classics through BRU/OST.

Mutt

MALLY
11th Apr 2009, 18:45
And what about Diesel 8 's??b

cargo-dus
13th Apr 2009, 07:41
Colleague of mine out of BRU told me he heard it on the news.
Would of course affect DC8-60s as well (and probably DC10, though not many of these around in Belgium these days)
Not sure though if news referred to all of Belgium or just BRU.

gtf
13th Apr 2009, 08:03
Regional MPs are standing in for elections in June. Airport noise is their favorite red-herring issue. Brings them lots of attention, plenty of people in favor of eliminating as much of it as possible, and yet it's a federal mandate, so their pre-election promises to do something about it is like a 747-200 taking off over Zaventem. Very noisy, but it goes away.

The only sure things are a night-time ops ban is being phased in progressively for three nights a week, and whatever new regulation they may actually come up with will mean absolutely nothing and be enforced at will by whatever idiot is in charge, the current one applying existing regulations based on where his friends live (seriously).

747guru
8th May 2009, 14:45
I am sure the residents of Diegem (a town situated at the end of BRU RWY25R will be happy to see the back of 747 classics in BRU after the cargo b tailstrike incident last year, and ultra low level climb out resulted in missing roof tiles:\

RampTramp
8th May 2009, 19:03
As gtf says, it's all political maneuvering. The elections are coming up & all the politicians will bleat on about stopping the noise until they're elected & then, once they realise how much money the landing fees, parking fees & airport taxes bring to the economy it will all go quiet again. Happens every time.

Cynical RT