PDA

View Full Version : Do you work on Good Friday?

Binoculars
10th Apr 2009, 16:00
This probably won't last long, but I was amazed to hear from one of my US correspondents that supermarkets, pubs, clubs etc are all open on Good Friday, surely the heart of Christianity.

In what I have always perceived to be a nominally Christian but effectively secular society (Australia) just about everything shuts on GF. It's true that 30 years ago NOTHING was open, now people open their doors if they feel like it, it still doesn't apply to pubs and clubs; they can't open till 11pm. No racing anywhere in Australia, but two games of League available back to back on Friday night.

Personally, I think it's just another day, and I don't understand why the believers are able to force their opinions on the populace, but because I grew up with that it became the norm.

I'd like to hear comments from the Americans about this. I have been informed by my correspondent that there are no penalty rates attached to working on GF, where in Oz it attracts rates of anything up to triple time.

Surely it could not be Mammon that dominates the end result of our beliefs?

tony draper
10th Apr 2009, 16:05
If I remember correctly the Pubs used to be open Sunday Hours on a Good Friday as well ,ie 12 - 2pm, 7pm to 10.30pm.
More civilized times Mr B.
:)

Binoculars
10th Apr 2009, 16:09
Mr Draper, I think you would find that Christmas Day and Good Friday are the only days licensed establishments do not open here.

My memories of England in 1992 involve a compulsory siesta of several hours on a Sunday, which did me as a traveller seeking jetlag relief no good whatsoever even though I was living in said establishment.

Perhaps things have become more civilised?

tony draper
10th Apr 2009, 16:14
Twere a ritual on Sundays Mr B,12 oclock in the Pub few swift ones home for ,roast beef and yorkies just after 2, nice afternoon snooze after yer dins and all ready for the evening debauchery to commence in the Pub at seven.
This newfangled 24 hour drinking is doing nobody any good.
:rolleyes:

Moira
10th Apr 2009, 16:55
Here in Belgium a normal working day as well: shops open, offices open, pubs open, ... Most places (except pubs, restaurants, ...) will be closed on Easter Monday though. Been like that for as long as I remember.

Storminnorm
10th Apr 2009, 17:00
Banks closing on Monday. That's about it.

hellsbrink
10th Apr 2009, 17:55
Here in Belgium a normal working day as well: shops open, offices open, pubs open, ... Most places (except pubs, restaurants, ...) will be closed on E
Easter Monday though. Been like that for as long as I remember.

To an extent. Been trying to get a hold of a certain Notaris and a certain Lawyer over something extremely urgent and they have decided to take today off too.

And some banks are closed too.

Scott Diamond
10th Apr 2009, 18:05
Well I was on a superb flight out of Cumbernauld today in an R-22 and it was all systems go for the staff there... a bit busier than I expected actually

hellsbrink
10th Apr 2009, 18:08
I thought any means used to get out of Cumbernauld would be "superb".......

Beatriz Fontana
10th Apr 2009, 18:12
Banks were all shut, shops were about 50/50.

Weather was crap all day so it had to be a bank holiday....

Whirlygig
10th Apr 2009, 18:59
Weather crap? In Norfolk, it was bright and HOT sunshine all day. Most shops here shut on Good Friday and open on Easter Monday instead.

Cheers

Whirls

corsair
10th Apr 2009, 19:05
Oddly enough here in the good Catholic (past tense) Ireland. Good Friday is not a public holiday unlike 'Godless England' where it is. It's an ordinary working day for many people. It is however a bank holiday, a government holiday and more importantly a public house holiday. I've always worked Good Friday as do most people in private sector jobs. No extra money but at least the traffic is lighter as all the people whose wages are paid by my taxes have a nice day off at my expense.

No pubs open, no drink sold in shops by law. A distinction only shared with Christmas Day. So naturally everyone went mad yesterday and stocked up as if alcohol was banned forever. Except me (ahem):ugh:. But there are loopholes, trains, planes, ships and canal barges can serve alcohol as long as they're moving. Hotels can serve alcohol to guests so hotel bars seem extraordinarily busy today.

radeng
10th Apr 2009, 19:21
I believe that in the Birmingham area, GF is not a holiday, but Easter Tuesday is.

Did you know that Oz and Brit have the fewest public holidays? Even the US have more - and they are notoriously mean on vacation time.

And before our ex-colonial friends leap up in defence. they also tend to pay less for executives than in the UK. A real 'screw the workers' approach. And when an FO could get more working in Macdonalds than flying................I'm convinced somethings wrong!

con-pilot
10th Apr 2009, 19:48
Easter is not an officially recognized holiday in the United States. Some municipalities' and counties' offices do close on Good Friday, this varies form state to state, other than that it is business as usual. Now some businesses do close for Good Friday, that is up to the business.

Shoot, the way things are going, we're lucky to still have Christmas as an official holiday.

However, Martin Luther King Day is an official holiday. Go figure.

Soon I think Cinco de Mayo will be an offical holiday here. :p

Cheerio
10th Apr 2009, 19:51
Not a holiday here in heathen Aberdeen..... :ok:

AcroChik
10th Apr 2009, 19:59
US financial markets are closed on Good Friday.

I'm not at the office today, but the majority of my colleagues ~ who may be less observant ~ are filling their chairs.

It is also the Passover holiday; none of my Jewish colleagues are in the office.

I have in-laws visiting from Europe for the holidays. In order to be a good daughter-in-law, as opposed to my true identity as a crass, cynical New Yorker, I'm not returning to the office until Tuesday (actually, I really like these people).

My other job is in academe, which ~ theory has it ~ is purely qualitative, not quantitative. One's never done digging that trench.

Keef
10th Apr 2009, 21:04
I work on Good Friday. Have done for many years.

So did my boss.

Sprogget
10th Apr 2009, 21:09
One played squash with a Vicar for some years. he always pitched up in a t-shirt with the legend: See my boss for details of our peerless pension scheme.

Always tickled one did that.

As for me, a lazy start, tooled around the house a bit, then took the two year old swimming with all the other mums & dads. Great fun. sample quote: 'MORE slide daddy' Can't beat it.

NRU74
10th Apr 2009, 21:12
Keef
I don't think we'd actually call your boss's Good Friday 'work' !

Keef
10th Apr 2009, 21:13
Hmmm. There is a school of thought that sees it as very hard work.

22 Degree Halo
10th Apr 2009, 21:16
In my line of work, we swapped Good Friday for an extra day off on January 2nd. :ok: The Scots sure know how to prolong Hogmanay:E

Flap 5
11th Apr 2009, 07:14
As this is a pilot's forum: the only day I had off in Britain was Christmas day when the airport is closed. In Hong Kong the job was 365.25 days a year.

HAWK21M
12th Apr 2009, 04:49
No Holiday on Good Friday....Extra work instead :)
regds
MEL

Lance Murdoch
12th Apr 2009, 11:31
In my last place of employment we worked Good Friday and had an extra day added to the Christmas holiday instead. You could have the day off from your optional holiday entitlement but I rarely ever did because I would rather have the time off when things are quieter.