PDA

View Full Version : 07849031830

Keef
10th Apr 2009, 15:55
Does anyone know what this is?

I was in the middle of a service this afternoon when my phone vibrated (silently, I'm glad to say). When I checked the message, it said this:

"From +447849031830
Our records indicate u maybe entitled to 5000 pounds in compensation for your recent Accident, To claim just reply with CLAIM to this msg, 2 stop txt STOP"

(Grammatical errors etc above are as per the original.)

I'd be the last person to turn down a gift of 5,000 - there are lots of good causes I could pass it to - but I've not had an accident for as long as I can remember. So what's this all about? Anyone know who 'tis?

I'm not inclined to "txt STOP" since I didn't ask them to start.

Wedge
10th Apr 2009, 16:00
Does anyone know what this is?

Yes, it's a scam.

DON'T text back because that will confirm your mobile number as valid.

Storminnorm
10th Apr 2009, 16:02
Leave well alone Keef!!!! SCAM!!!

Krystal n chips
10th Apr 2009, 16:24
I'd be the last person to turn down a gift of 5,000 - there are lots of good causes I could pass it to -

Ahem, how can I put this......my gratitude in advance to you Keef....trust me, I am a very good cause and the money will not be squandered....well some of it won't.

This is just for future reference of course as this time it's a scam...however ;):E

ThreadBaron
10th Apr 2009, 16:33
I would not be surprised if it was not also a premium rate text response number as well. i.e. normal text rate amount goes to your provider, the premium goes to the scammer.

brockenspectre
10th Apr 2009, 16:35
Keef - a useful website for checking out numbers that call you and don't leave messages is WhoCallsMe (http://www.whocallsme.com) :ok:

Edited to correct the URL and the sites name - thanks lomapaseo :ok: NOW it should make sense!!! I couldn't have got much more wrong could I!!! :rolleyes:

Schumi - Red Baron
10th Apr 2009, 16:38
It seems similar to this thread... It's scam...:hmm:

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/369332-fbno.html

lomapaseo
10th Apr 2009, 17:53
a useful website for checking out numbers that call you and don't leave messages is Phone Call Comments (http://www.whocallsme.com)

How in heck does that web site relate to the thread subject?

OFSO
10th Apr 2009, 18:30
Alas, poor Keef - "but I've not had an accident for as long as I can remember" - it was that bad was it ? The fall on your head at Charing Cross station last month ? When you tripped me and upon rising, admitted liability and offered to pay me five thousand pounds if I didn't sue you for negligence ? When your memory returns, please indicate this by a post on PPRuNe and I'll tell you where to send the cash.

Yours - with many upwards rolling eyeball movements - OFSO

Whirlygig
10th Apr 2009, 18:48
How in heck does that web site relate to the thread subject?
Eh? Because you can look up phone numbers that have called or left strange messages. Then if anything is known about that number, people can leave comments.

It completely relates to the thread subject. The number that called Keef does indeed appear on there but it appears to be very new so there are not many comments.

Cheers

Whirls

NRU74
10th Apr 2009, 19:05
Keef
Afraid it'll be some ambulance chasing lawyer who's learnt that Jesus fell at the 3rd, 7th and 9th Stations of the Cross and may be entitled to some compo.He'll have contacted you as a possible go-between.

Keef
10th Apr 2009, 19:25
Keef
Afraid it'll be some ambulance chasing lawyer who's learnt that Jesus fell at the 3rd, 7th and 9th Stations of the Cross and may be entitled to some compo.He'll have contacted you as a possible go-between.

Now THAT makes perfect sense! Thank you!

Thanks to the other folks. I think I'll use a PAYG mobile and send an offer to do the funeral at a special rate.

Metro man
11th Apr 2009, 00:53
Sounds a bit like one of the offers I've recieved. I just have to send US$180 and in return I get an ATM card with US$11 000 000 credit in the account.

Nigerian Federal Ministry of Finance and the FBI are backing it so it should be rock solid. Only catch is a daily withdrawl limit of US $5000.;)

Lon More
11th Apr 2009, 01:00
That website might not be a great deal of help. It seems very U.S.A. related

Keef
11th Apr 2009, 01:09
'Tis a bit!
Anyway, my old phone texted back "WL DO UR FUNERAL 4 HALF NORMAL FEE."