PDA

View Full Version : Darwin contenders ( sub-section B ) Motorists

Krystal n chips
10th Apr 2009, 11:39
Well it's not often I agree with the council jobsworth fraternity, but in this case I have to say they are 100% correct in their statement.

As for the contenders, well frankly ( even allowing for the location ) they have to be prime candidates for the "special award" category.............:ugh:

BBC NEWS | England | Staffordshire | Appeal to remove rising bollards (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7993102.stm)

The same "mental reasoning process" was displayed in Manchester a couple or so years ago BTW after the same results to various, presumably, cough, visually impaired, drivers so the condition must be contagious :E

The really frightening bit however, is that if they are this :mad: stupid when trying to park, what are they like when driving on the road.

A A Gruntpuddock
10th Apr 2009, 12:42
We don't want to ban them - I get a lot of laughs watching similar incidents on YouTube!

Just search for 'bollards'.

Wod
10th Apr 2009, 12:49
I just hope no Australian Ppruner brings this to the attention of an incompetent authority down our way.

Rising Bollards? The mind boggles!!

OFSO
10th Apr 2009, 15:14
A certain USAF base at G------ Germany with which I was familiar had rising bollards at the entranceway which came up with considerable force. One day there was a massive mains power failure and the bollards came up thru the floor of a senior officer's Mercedes Benz which was entering the base and broke his leg, right near his bollards.

Not nice at all.

C130 Techie
10th Apr 2009, 20:01
The video clips whilst amusing just demonstrate how mind numbingly stupid some people are when they get behind the wheel of a car. Saw many other examples on the M4 today where the morons were out in force.

I just hope they were made to pay for any repairs to the bollard systems.

KRviator
15th Apr 2009, 04:56
I just hope no Australian Ppruner brings this to the attention of an incompetent authority down our way.

Rising Bollards? The mind boggles!!Tell ya what, Wod, I'd give my left nut to have a set of these at every level crossing we go over.

These things, properly built, are capable of stopping a B-Double, and would have saved 11 lives at Kerang, 3 at Benalla, 2 at Trawalla and 2 more on the Cairns Tilt Train, and probably a lot more that I've forgotten.

Am I biased? Bloody oath. I haven't killed anyone yet. But I will. Only a matter of time until we wear a car as a hood ornament on one of our locomotives. At least these things might save people from themselves.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
15th Apr 2009, 09:30
but it's not until the car front bonnet is past the bollard that you can actually see the bollard coming up

Surely it would be better if there was a delay circuit to ensure the bollard only rose when the rear bonnet passed it? Get the timing really right and the fireball could be spectacular!

I know there are a few people in Burton who chase cars but I wasn't aware that so many cars chase busses.

PS

How many bonnets do cars in Burton have?