PDA

View Full Version : Student Arrested After Writing Essay at School

Roger Sofarover
10th Apr 2009, 05:16
Well this takes the biscuit! A straight A's student encouraged by his teacher. Check out the brief for the student at the bottom.:ugh:This was a while back just published by AOL.

the full link
THREAT LEVEL Prediction Comes True: Student Arrested for Creative Writing Essay -- Updated | Threat Level from Wired.com (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/threat_level_pr.html)

I love the google add that comes up with the article 'Write copy that sells'!

THREAT LEVEL Prediction Comes True: Student Arrested for Creative Writing Essay -- Updated

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/27/teacher_of_the_year.jpg Chicago high school student Allen Lee, 18, was arrested and charged with "disorderly conduct" for writing an essay in creative writing class that his teacher found disturbing. He's also been barred from classes at Cary-Grove High School, where he's reportedly been a straight-A student. The Chicago Tribune reports (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070425essay,1,696682.story) that the teacher had "encouraged students to express their emotions through writing."Cary Police Chief Ron Delelio said the charge was appropriate even though the essay was not published or posted for public viewing.

Disorderly conduct, which carries a penalty of 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine, is filed for pranks such as pulling a fire alarm or dialing 911. But it can also apply when someone's writings can disturb an individual, Delelio said.

"The teacher was alarmed and disturbed by the content," he said.
Let's hope the unnamed English teacher doesn't discover the public library, or the Chicago cops will be looking to arrest nearly every important author in the last century for disturbing the peace.
It's noteworthy that this action wasn't a knee-jerk response. It followed a round-table discussion by school district officials, who not only concluded that Lee's essay was so disturbing as to demand action, but evidently eschewed moderate responses like contacting his parents or referring him to the school counselor in favor of having him arrested and charged with a crime for his words.
THREAT LEVEL predicted (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/writing_instruc.html) this inane response to Virginia Tech early on. I fear this is only the beginning.
---
Update: The Tribune has published Lee's paper (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070426student-essay,1,6366371.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=2&cset=true), (registration-free copy here (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/allen_lees_essa.html)) as reconstructed from memory. (Spoiler: School makes him stabby). The Northwest Herald reports that the assignment (http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2007/04/27/news/local/doc463181a21dafb700493061.txt) was a "free writing" exercise with the following guidelines.
Write nonstop for a set period of time.
Do not make corrections as you write.
Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
Write whatever comes into your mind.
Do not judge or censor what you are writing.
If your free writing is neat and coherent, you probably haven't loosened up enough.Here is the students essay

The Creative Writing Essay That Got Allen Lee Arrested | Threat Level from Wired.com (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/04/allen_lees_essa.html)

I wasn't sure whether to cut and paste the short essay here.

Be sure to read his explanation underneath.

At first glance it makes a bit of disturbed reading, but nothing more than a Stephen King novel. Debrief, discuss, council yes, but calling the police to arrest:hmm::hmm: I am not sure this teacher will get any other students to write an essay in her class;) I wonder if she called the police because of the students ramblings on death and destruction or because he thinks her brownies are cr*p.

He does seem perfectly suited to his chosen profession.... Marines:}

CityofFlight
10th Apr 2009, 05:41
I must say, I was expecting so much worse than what I read. So, I'm shocked and saddened at the knee jerk reaction. Pathetic response to a bored student.

Many, many moons ago, while in high school, we had 1 or 2 teachers within the English dept who would have us spend our entire class time writing abstract essays on "whatever comes to mind". I know how they justified it then and I suspect nothing has changed now. What more do they expect given some of the archaic educational methods? :ugh:

Ten West
10th Apr 2009, 05:45
Hmm. "Land of the free" eh?

There's your answer then kids. If your teacher pulls this kind of stunt on you, just think of fluffy bunny rabbits for the "set period of time".

You could also try "I don't know what to write here... but it's not going to be something about stabbing someone, oh no Guv, not me. neither wil it be about getting my dad's Colt 1911 and bringing it to school to... FLUFFY BUNNIES!! FLUFFY BUNNIES!" :}

Roger Sofarover
10th Apr 2009, 05:55
CoF
I must say, I was expecting so much worse than what I read

Same. So do you think like me it was because he wrote nasty things about her cookies:}

sisemen
10th Apr 2009, 06:20
For years, some of us on PPRuNe have been advocating that some individuals should be jailed for their poor standard of English. At last! Someone has done it.

Now just y'all be careful with your consonants and spellings out there - y'hear? :ok:

Whirlygig
10th Apr 2009, 06:39
I've read more disturbing and psychotic things on Jet Blast for pity's sake. The first part (I didn't know it came from Green Day until I read the explanation) just reads like a young lad trying to shock but actually not being very good at it.

Personally, I think he's made some good points and shows a healthy amount of cynicism. :}

I really don't give a (obscenity) about my academics, so why does the only class that's complete Bull Shit, happen to be the only required class…enough said.
We can't make rules for ourselves so we vote others to do it for us, but we can't even do that right, I meen seriously, Bush for President? And our other option was John Kerry who claimed to parktake in Vietnam Special Forces missions that haven't been declassified….(obscenity) Bull Shit.

My current English teacher is a control freak intent on setting a gap between herself and her students like a 63 year old white male fortune 500 company CEO, and a illegal immigrant.

I like his style :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

arcniz
10th Apr 2009, 06:52
Where to begin...

The oblivious hypocrisy of our times, especially but not uniquely in the good 'ol USA, boggles comprehension!

Not a few - hundreds perhaps - of America's "best" companies harvest millions hourly as global purveyors of extraordinarily carefully conceived and finished games, films, magazines, and music propounding, demonstrating, depicting and glorifying the same general muddle of antisocial racist misogynistic murder and mayhem that this surprisingly linear youngster foolishly wrote about in class.

What kind of rope can properly hang the mercenaries who daily promulgate this anti-culture? Dante, where are you now that we need you? Hell needs a new wing for these folks - and a passel of so-called educators, as well.

Roger Sofarover
10th Apr 2009, 07:00
arcniz

Where to begin...

The oblivious hypocrisy of our times, especially but not uniquely in the good 'ol USA, boggles comprehension!

Not a few - hundreds perhaps - of America's "best" companies harvest millions hourly as global purveyors of extraordinarily carefully conceived and finished games, films, magazines, and music propounding, demonstrating, depicting and glorifying the same general muddle of antisocial racist misogynistic murder and mayhem that this surprisingly linear youngster foolishly wrote about in class.

What kind of rope can properly hang the mercenaries who daily promulgate this anti-culture? Dante, where are you now that we need you? Hell needs a new wing for these folks - and a passel of so-called educators, as well.

Wow!:D

Wod
10th Apr 2009, 07:34
Wierd stuff! And I don't mean the brief piece of creative writing.

As far as the "essay" is concerned, even I worked out that there were some cultural references (which a 69 year old Australian would not fully understand), and I thought his general themes were typical of his age. Hardly worrying stuff.

The teacher is clearly a worry.

frostbite
10th Apr 2009, 12:34
I am coming to the conclusion that 'how to be offended' is now part of the educational system these days, perhaps colleges are offering degree courses.

There are so many, even some on JB, who appear to spend a large part of their day looking for something to find offensive.

Too Short
10th Apr 2009, 13:05
I imagine that what sparked the outrage and perceived threat was the almost subtle last sentence, with reference to the teacher being one to inspire the school's first shooting. In my view that was just his opinion, not an outright threat (based on the criteria for the essay and the feel of what he'd written) but I can see how it could be perceived as such, and subsequently led to his arrest, especially in light of several high profile school shootings in recent times. As for the content of his essay, I've seen more disturbing brain fodder in the Tate Modern.

ShyTorque
10th Apr 2009, 13:14
Reminds me of an old joke.

Chap goes to see the shrink.

Shrink says: "I'll draw shapes on this sheet of paper and you tell me what you first think of".

He draws a rectangle.

"A Bed" said the patient.

A triangle.

"A naked woman"

A circle.

"Me, having sex with the naked woman!"

"Your trouble is", said the shrink, "Is that you're a sex maniac!"

"WHAT?" Said the patient, increduously. "YOU'RE the one drawing the filthy pictures!

Binoculars
10th Apr 2009, 15:46
Hey, this kid got arrested. For a straight A student that is pretty cool. In my final year of school in 1970 I wrote an essay on (well, mainly against) the concept of censorship. Imagine my horror when several months later I was informed I was the winner of the Religious Studies award because of that essay.

My claims of agnosticism, which I think would have been fully supported by my essay, were dismissed by the Christian Brothers as youthful ignorance masquerading as bravado, so on to the stage I had to go at the awards night to receive a trophy with the same level of cool as Green Berets by Sgt Barry Sadler. I've never forgotten that moment.

Storminnorm
10th Apr 2009, 15:55
They wouldn't teach us R E. They were scared we'd eat the teacher.

AcroChik
10th Apr 2009, 16:33
I'm surprised that eyebrows haven't gone up about state sponsored "education" promoting this sort of infantile, ill-considered, course of action:

Write nonstop for a set period of time.

Do not make corrections as you write.

Write whatever comes into your mind.

Do not judge or censor what you are writing.

If your free writing is neat and coherent, you probably haven't loosened up enough.

Not one of these things counts toward conducting one's self as a thoughtful adult. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Ought not education assist one in developing the ability to do precisely the opposite than the list of instructions demands. Thus:

"Write nonstop for a set period of time."

Why is this good? Is it not good to pause from time to time to consider what one is thinking?

"Do not make corrections as you write."

In other words, do not pause to correct bad grammar, errors of spelling, untruths, mis-speakings, etc. Thus, babble like an infant or deranged person immune to reason.

"Write whatever comes into your mind."

Anything and everything that floats through your conscious mind is of equal value. Do not discriminate between the quality of your ideas. All ideas are equally good.

"Do not judge or censor what you are writing."

See above. Also, a key ingredient of successful adult life (both marital and professional) is the ability censor one's spoken words, behaviors and other communications, thus filtering out those that are likely to be inappropriate in a specific environment.

"If your free writing is neat and coherent, you probably haven't loosened up enough."

So, if what you are writing is intelligible by others you're up-tight, a failure at being without any self-control.

The student performing this exercise was successful in accomplishing all goals set for him. What was his reward for acting in the totally non-judgmental manner encouraged by the public education process? Criminalization.

Fortunately, the sort of people now in charge of America's national education policies will continue pushing school programs in exactly this direction, assisting the country in being a legitimate competitor on the world stage.

Blues&twos
10th Apr 2009, 21:43
If I read the essay (using the link), and get offended or disturbed by the content will they prosecute him again???!

AcroChik
10th Apr 2009, 21:55
Sadly, no.

But hopefully, Janet Napolitano, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, will soon turn her attention to such important matters now that she has removed the word "terrorism" from the government's official lexicon, and declared that henceforth all discourse by her department on such matters will be gender-neutral.

This isn't a joke, but national policy.

Maybe these two things can be one in the same.

Too Short
10th Apr 2009, 22:43
AcroChick, in your post questioning the criteria for the essay, I accept a lot of what you are saying. However, I do wonder if the criteria were designed with the intention of provoking a bit of 'free thinking' or thinking outside the box to allow the pupils to explore their minds beyond the realms of 'normal' and 'acceptable', rather than to produce a fine piece of literature. The reason? because it is often this outside the box thinking which results in moments of pure genius and maybe just an indication to the pupils that they should from time to time allow themselves this indulgence of totally uncensored, unquestioned, maybe controversial thought process?