PDA

View Full Version : Oxford PPL vs ATPL (Oxford and Bristol)

tigermagicjohn
10th Apr 2009, 02:58
I have recently started on the ATPL theory - and doing it trough a Norwegian distance learning school, was required to get the Oxford ATPL books.
Now last year (August) I had to retake all my PPL exams because my PPL had expired, and I used the Oxford PPL books and CD ROM's.

I have now started on the first subject POF, in addition to the Oxford books I also have the Bristol ATPL CD - Now the Oxford ATPL books are very detailed compaired to the Bristol ATPL - I noticed that during the progress test I getting 85 - 90 % of the Oxford questions correct, however when using Bristol QB, I drop to around 55% (Still some chapters left to finish in the POF)
However whenever I have a problem with the Oxford ATPL boks, I find my CD's from PPL (CBT), and they together with the PPL books go way ahead of what is PPL stuff, many times when I have been stuck with the Oxford ATPL books or Bristol CD, the Oxford PPL books + CD explain it all much easier and simpler.

Now of course does not cover all of the ATPL, but I feel that the Oxford PPL books are very detailed - and so far in POF - explain better many things then the Oxford ATPL book does.

I also seem to feel there is a big difference in the Bristol and Oxford question bank - I am trying to learn both, but seem to get more mistakes with the Bristol questions.

However there is a huge difference in size of the quanity of the learning material from Bristol and Oxford - and I am not sure how I can make sure I do not waste to much time on nonsense - I have also seen the Jeppesen books; now Bristol and Jeppesen are maybe half of the Oxford books, but the students do make the same exams - so there must be to much in the Oxford books, but how do I found out what is what? :ugh:

bajadj
10th Apr 2009, 03:40
The Bristol database is as near as you are going to get to the questions in the JAA exam, I would be much happier getting 85 - 90% on bristol and 55% on oxcel than the other way round. Use the oxford books for reference and use the bristol database for exam prep.