PDA

View Full Version : Todays Poll..... 'Love him' or 'Loathe him'

Pengineer
8th Nov 2001, 18:10
Heres a chance to gauge the opinion of the airline community on this colorful character,

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/_photos/2001-10-04-oleary.jpg

Love him or loathe him?

(see you in Jetblast!)

Gaza
8th Nov 2001, 18:22
Ambivalent.

dv8
8th Nov 2001, 18:26
BBC2 "Flying Scared"

Did you hear what MOL said to the crew in a high vis. jacket. As he was boarding the B737?
:mad:

ALTSEL
8th Nov 2001, 18:39
Loathe

rule by the sword,die by the sword I expect

WAIF-er
8th Nov 2001, 18:43
..he has the sales tactics of a double glazing salesman and the work ethic of a wheelclamper!

Who is that man anyway, I've never seen him before in my life?

Lou Scannon
8th Nov 2001, 18:51
Ambivalent I guess. What a shame that someone with such undoubted abilities and ideas should be so lacking in simple kindness when dealing with other, less fortunate, people.
He has clearly never heard of the phrase "Be nice to people on the way up as you will surely meet them on the way down.

The Guvnor
8th Nov 2001, 18:58
Two thumbs up. At a time where there's little good news in the aviation industry, most of it is coming from him and Stavros the Bubble.

Don't think I'd want to play poker with the man though ... :D :D :D

Nor did I know (until today) that he's from Tipperary. That explains a lot!! :eek: :D :eek:

tilii
8th Nov 2001, 19:32
Despise everything he stands for. Never met the man, so cannot speak at a personal level.

My guess is that he'd make an excellent used car salesman but would struggle with selling anything new.

His days are numbered. :D :D :D

Slick
8th Nov 2001, 19:39
Love him, its people like him that are getting this industry back on its feet quicker.

sgt.culpepper
8th Nov 2001, 19:51
Guvnor, actually I think he is from Co. Westmeath at least he lives there at a place called Gigginstown House. It's one of those country manor, tax free jobs where you have to have it open to the general public on a certain number of days each year in order to qualify for the tax exemption.The opening hours are a bit of a mystery I think unless someone knows differently !

GVJFK
8th Nov 2001, 19:58
Loathe all that he stands for. Refuse to fly his airline. The man has no soul. Definately a dodgy third hand car sales man :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

LAVDUMPER
8th Nov 2001, 20:06
He may be a tyrant, but Ryanair's results speak for themselves...

I'm sure most Ryanair employees fear/hate him, but his investors love him...

Having a secure job flying nifty 737-800s around Europe for a growing and profitable airline might not be too bad if you can tune out the jacka$$ boss... He ain't no Herb Kelleher - that's for DAMN sure!

Cheers

Rob 747
8th Nov 2001, 21:16
Loathe!!

Sad old Monkey Child!! :D :D

£50 to read CV's
£1 Return fare to Dublin

I was wondering where he made his profit! :p :p

Well i better make it £50,050 to achieve my dream!! :rolleyes: Thanks MOL!

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Rob 747 ]

flying clea
9th Nov 2001, 00:03
hi all,

Do you think he was trying to tell the pax something when he was going in the opposite direction from them at PIK when they were boarding.
i.e. I'm off to get my sannie from the terminal.

Honiley
9th Nov 2001, 01:31
He's one of the most dynamic and forward thinking airline CEO's in Europe. Way ahead of the Greek thug and knocks the "spots" off Cassani.

Most people won't like him, mainly because of how successful he is and what he's worth personally.

His company's results speak for themselves and as far as the Stock Exchange is concerned Ryanair are worth more than the UK's national carrier.

Good luck to him - this is a very difficult business to be a success in and I admire anyone who achieves it.

The Guvnor
9th Nov 2001, 01:55
flying clea - you obviously haven't tried PIK's catering! :eek: :( :eek:

Fast Jet Wannabe
9th Nov 2001, 03:36
I admire him, but loathe him.

Many people I know "love to hate him".

Guvnor; Couldn't agree more about PIK's disgusting catering in their "resturant"! However, the sarnies are nice from the little stand in the main termainal area.

HugMonster
9th Nov 2001, 06:48
Loathe him. And not for the reasons others seem to admire him (because he makes money). So what?

I loathe him because he makes money out of others' misfortune, because he rules by fear, because he cares nothing for anyone unless they can provide him with more money. He cares not if his airline is safe, so long as it makes money. He cares not if his employees are happy, fulfilled, and working to their best potential, so long as they make him more money.

I despise him, and I despise anyone who thinks that if you're making money you're an alright sort of person, no matter what else you do.

No, I don't despise money, I don't despise the profit motive, I don't think everyone who makes money is automatically a right-wing extremist.

I respect people who realise that money is not everything, that morals matter, that there is a duty upon emnployers to look after their employees and not treat them simply as a "resource", and I cannot respect anyone who will resort to the sort of actions that O'Leary has lately, for which there is no justification whatsoever except that he can, and they will make him a little wealthier at the expense of his employees.

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]

CaptA320
9th Nov 2001, 08:55
Don't know the man therefore cannot comment. Could someone please explain to me how the man can sell one pound return tickets and be profitable?

PAXboy
9th Nov 2001, 15:49
I have only travelled two sectors on FR and decided never to do so again.

I have not seen MoL on the TV but reading about him reminds me of a man in another industry in the 80s (in the UK). He took an old fashioned business sector by the short and curlies and made a great deal of money. What follows is NOT meant to say what I expect to happen in FR but it sounds similar. Although details of the man I refer to is in the public domain, it seems simplest not to name him.

The City loved him and most of his customers thought he was OK, although he was a lower profile owner and few of his end customers knew about him. What was clever was that he left the front of the shops in the old style with the original names but changed EVERYTHING behind the scenes. Thus he presented 'nothing has changed' to his customers. However, his staff and those that dealt B-2-B with him loathed everything he did.

Then the financial authorities started snooping around ... then he had to sell ... then he was in court for financial irregularities ... then the business was sold again to a large American group, where it remains to this day.

Then he wrote his memoirs!

[ 09 November 2001: Message edited by: PAXboy ]

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Nov 2001, 15:51
Honiley - your comments appear to be beyond the pale.

:(

Honiley
9th Nov 2001, 16:56
Ok,

My apologies for my comments - I was way out of order. :o

But I will say, people need to be very careful before they decide to slag someone off - you just never know who they are and this is a very small industry where everyone knows everyone else!

And calling someone "sad and loathsome" who you've applied for a job with is not a bright idea!

I'll say no-more.
Did I mention I admired MOL ?

HugMonster
9th Nov 2001, 18:19
Honiley:- True, it is not easy to make a success of an airline, particularly not now. But to do so by screwing everyone around you, ruling your company by fear, stuffing your own staff, job applicants, suppliers, etc. just to make MORE money remains, in my book, despicable.

I do not see much evidence that either Go or easyJet conduct their business on the same lines as O'Leary does. And they are also successful. Cassani and Stelios are far more worthy of admiration that that despicable little sh!t O'Leary.

Save your admiration for someone who has some moral values.

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]

Flintstone
9th Nov 2001, 18:33
MOL? Seems to have complete contempt for anyone he perceives to be of a lower order.

Honiley? See above.

dingducky
11th Nov 2001, 05:46
um
who is he? :confused:

sirwa69
11th Nov 2001, 16:39
Didn't Hugh Heffner make a fortune out of screwing and stuffing his staff and all around him.
And yet the world all loves Hugh. :D :D :D

rodan
11th Nov 2001, 21:15
I didn't see the BBC2 program. What did he say to the crew as he was boarding?

My personal opinion of the man is that I feel he is taking advantage of the many pilots sadly finding themselves looking for work who, he has decided, will probably be good for £50 each to apply to his company. :(

fionan
12th Nov 2001, 05:00
Most people won't like him, mainly because of how successful he is and what he's worth personally.

These are not the reasons people detest the man. It is frenzied bullying of anyone and everyone around him. As long as he keeps his company expanding the market are happy with his stock. They will endure anyone that makes them money.
His demise will happen when FR runs out of momentum. This explains his need post sept 11 to appear on every show and paper in Europe. The media and the market are still buying the spin ( and his shares ).In that regard he has done well so far.
However one false move and the house of cards could come crashing down. He will be fine of course but will his employees...?
Have you heard his views on redundancies? ;) ;) ;)