PDA

View Full Version : Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire, anyone?

ted1571
9th Apr 2009, 18:24
Anyone here currently or very recently working in Abidjan? I am leaving the US to go there on a 90 day contract next week. My main questions are are there any good looking women there, and is there any cold beer there. Any replies greatly appreciated.

BelArgUSA
9th Apr 2009, 18:52
Most African beers are good.
Abidjan used to be a nice spot, the "Paris of Africa"...
But that was 10+ years ago, before the political troubles in recent past.
Suggest you learn French for the ladies in the bars...
Like saying - Mademoiselle, avez-vous le SIDA...?
xxx
:E
Happy contrails

ted1571
9th Apr 2009, 19:12
Oui monsieur, I am learning a few basic words and phrases in French, and my employer will have 2 hours of French lessons each week. Looking forward to getting there.

asacrj
10th Apr 2009, 03:57
Is still a nice place and people are friendly. Security is a concern though keep that in mind. The girls are very nice but HIV is also high. Otherwise you will really enjoy your stay.
Will you be flying for Air Ivoire?

wonderdog
10th Apr 2009, 15:55
There is a running joke there,

"Ivoirian"

"Il voit rien" is French for "he sees nothing",

Also as with any Francophone country, French custom is followed by way of ALWAYS starting a new dialogue with a stranger with "bonjour". There is an idea that the French are rude, but they are far from it, more formal than Anglos yes, but not rude.
Whether asking directions or going into a cafe for coffee it is customary for the first word you utter to be "bonjour".....and don't worry about the "tu" and "vous" difference until you truly master the language, stick to "tu" particularly in Africa. Even in Paris the French don't mind as long as they are aware your grasp of the language is basic....in fact they generally find it quaint and charming, paricularly the women (which helps right ?)
However as you get become fluent, which with all respect you will not in 3 months you will appreciate exactly how "tu and vous" are to be used.
One of the great world languages and a joy to use and think in when mastered....enjoy !!!

-wonderdog-

ted1571
10th Apr 2009, 18:55
Merci beaucoup, Wonderdog.

wonderdog
11th Apr 2009, 02:37
You're very welcome Ted...have a good time and be careful :cool:...just remember that if you get on the wrong side of someone in West Africa they take no prisoners.
....if you do find yourself getting a hard time from someone arguing is not the way to get at them...there is only one way to handle it.....PM me and I'll tell you !!

-wonderdog-

yanafrica
11th Apr 2009, 11:40
Hi Ted,
zone 4 is a good safe place to go around ,beer, girls, restaurants ect....
like everywhere else in the world as long as you respect people,and keep a smile on your face it should be ok.
lot of ID controls on the road so always carry your ID,or certified copy of passport ,or crew cards with you.(and of course some money 500 & 1000CFA bills)
the PLATEAU is the place to avoid specialy at night.
99% of Ivorian are very nice and like to party.
to recover from the long night you can go to Assigny nice beach 40 min drive from ABJ
i've been there 2 years never had any problems and loved it.
have fun.!!!

Arik
12th Apr 2009, 08:11
Spent quite a bit of time there the last two years & heading back in 3 days for a short trip. Security is fine there, no problems, even up north, I was in Bouake in January. However don't cross the lagoon bridge in a taxi late at night & never walk across it ..

Ivorians are very friendly, however the military will try to get money out of you, ignore them or talk to them at your peril. Do not attempt to speak French to them and they will 'go away' & leave you in peace. When they ask for 'piece d'identite' ignore it until the word passport is used ...

I've yet to pay the military but don't intend doing so ...

Abidjan is not cheap, are they providing accomodation? Personally I'd look elsewhere like Bassam which is the right side of the airport. However, Zone 4 is great, there's Havana Cafe or Parker Place to hang out in. As a female I see things a little differently there! Assouinde is the place to go for beaches, surfing & chilling out.

When will you be there? See you there?

Arik

GUSTO
12th Apr 2009, 16:11
ABJ is a nice place with nice people . Zone 4 is the place for night clubs and fun , go to Foxy you should enjoy ...

yanafrica
12th Apr 2009, 17:22
He He He I Knew I Will Find You There ....

forkingfishing
12th Apr 2009, 18:40
I knew I would find the two of you there!.... the code name for the day is black daniel....and Foxy's is still very much open and thriving. Amongst other places.

a' bientot,

FF

ted1571
17th Apr 2009, 09:21
I am here in Abidjan now, at the Hotel Ken'ti in zone 4. Everything I read on here seems to be true. The owner of the company I am contracting for had clear wire internet service installed for us at the hotel. I got drunk the frist night I arrived and danced with a few lovely ladies, but I was way too tired from the trip over to stay up long. Yesterday my coworker took me for a drive in town, to the money exchange and grocery store. Things are expensive here. Today I will go to the airport and check things out. Thank you all for your input. If you are in Abidjan, maybe i will see you, and buy you a Flag.