PDA

View Full Version : Pilots no longer permitted in sections of PPrune

Hotel Mode
9th Apr 2009, 15:35
Some of you might be interested to know that Pilots are no longer permitted to comment in sections of the Cabin crew forum. So whilst the Professional Pilots rumour network cannot restrict the postings of know nothings on the pilot forums, it is now restricting Professional Pilots from commenting on matters that affect them elsewhere. I have no doubt the other special interest forums will follow.

Bizarre.

itwasme
9th Apr 2009, 15:50
...and what makes you think that?

CJ1234
9th Apr 2009, 16:06
It's probably because many of the pilots make such snotty, up-their-own-arse responses on this website.

Just like this one.

As a pilot, why would I (or any other) ever have to look at the cabin crew forum?

Bus429
9th Apr 2009, 16:07
Are you certain? That's not the line generally taken by PPRuNe. Are you not referring to company-specific fora?:confused:

Rainboe
9th Apr 2009, 16:16
Project Columbus II thread, laast page comment by mod. Perfectly reasonable to request only CC comment as it affects them. I wish something could be done to restrict other fora to aviation professionals, but we've been there!

One Outsider
9th Apr 2009, 16:22
Perfectly reasonable to request only CC comment as it affects them.
Do you really believe that is the reason for the restriction? And, by the way, it is not a request either.

Rainboe
9th Apr 2009, 16:36
Don't know. I guessed which thread was probably responsible, and there it was. I haven't been following it we all have our own problems which get our attention! But I think in this case it is perfectly reasonable to restrict contributions- it really is no business of others IMO.

wiggy
9th Apr 2009, 16:51
Banning other groups is fine by me as long as the same principle now applies to all other threads on pprune.

FWIW I thought the Columbus thread made for interesting reading and yes, I did put my oar in on a couple of occasions...

TopBunk
9th Apr 2009, 16:57
I think the mods have got this one totally wrong, and have just said so 'in that place' (although I dare say that it has or shortly will be moderated away).

A slippery slope has been embarked upon imho

[....and it's gone:=]

speedrestriction
9th Apr 2009, 18:51
I don't have any problem with not being able to post in the CC forum if that is indeed the case. I would hope however that any threads raised by CC with a safety/CRM angle will be relocated to the Safety CRM section of the board for wider discussion.

sr

paarmo
9th Apr 2009, 19:02
If this is true then it is appalling. I thought that the internet was the last bastion of free speech. Who was it that said (paraphrasing unfortunately) " I abhor what he is saying but I will fight to the ends of the earth to allow him to say it"

airfoilmod
9th Apr 2009, 19:07
Free Speech has been addressed ad nauseum. Could the Rules include a proviso defining the difference between "Free Speech" and "private property"? THIS IS GETTING OLD. Paarmo, unfortunately you are unaware of your surroundings or you greatly misunderstand the concept of Free Speech. I am not allowed to enter (by invitation) a person's private property and spout whatever I wish. I am subject to censorship or eviction within the law, Right, then?

AF

paarmo
9th Apr 2009, 19:27
I think the European idea of free speech and the North American idea differ immensely. Here I am allowed to debate without the use of firearms and the idea that differing with the Establishment is not unpatriotic but a human right which was allowed in the 13th century Magna Carta.

airfoilmod
9th Apr 2009, 20:25
There is that.

Hotel Mode
9th Apr 2009, 22:08
Thank you Flapsforty for letting this continue.

The point is if you are going to stop access to this forum by pilots, why hasnt access to the more technical forums been restricted to those who have knowledge in those fields? The ridiculous airliners.net rubbish you have to trawl through in accident threads is beyond the joke, and yet an actual debate between people in the know gets binned. If we all agreed with each other there wouldnt be much point in PPrune.

The columbus thread was the only means of communication between BA pilots and Cabin Crew, there is no other joint fora away froim work. There are plenty of other CC or FC only forums around, but no joint ones.

PPrune will be much poorer if Pilots cant access the ATC forum, or non wanabees cant stick their oar in there etc etc.

draughtsman99
9th Apr 2009, 23:34
Hey that was a fast censorship!!
Watch out guys the people in the land of the free DO NOT like free speech.

flyblue
9th Apr 2009, 23:35
If you read the post carefully, nowhere it says that pilots are not allowed to post on CC. The request talks about one specific thread, and for the reasons that have been extensively explained.
You might not agree with it, but it is how it has been decided.
Thank you for your cooperation.