PDA

View Full Version : Has Delta been denied route rights to Abuja, Nigeria?

NG_Kaptain
9th Apr 2009, 04:27
Copied from Punch...

FG denies US carrier flying rights into Abuja
By Oyetunji Abioye
Published: Thursday, 2 Apr 2009
The United States carrier, Delta Airlines, has been denied additional flying rights into Nigeria through the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, by the Federal Government.

A source close to the Ministry of Aviation, who disclosed this to our correspondent on Wednesday, said Delta was stopped because it failed to change the type of aircraft it was using on the Lagos-Atlanta route after being asked by the government to do so.

According to the source, representatives of airline have met with the Minister of Aviation, Mr. Babatunde Omotoba, on the matter last Thursday in Abuja.

Omotoba was said to have refused the approval, insisting that unless Delta replaced the Boeing 767 aircraft it was flying on the Lagos route with a better and newer airplane, as well as improved on its in-flight entertainment service, the request would not be granted.

A Delta representative, who declined to be quoted, said that a similar aircraft was being used on their European route, and that they were making efforts to improve on their in-flight services.

The minister had at a press conference in February accused Delta and British Airways of using old and “scrappy aircraft” on the Nigerian routes compared to the ones being used on other routes.

He added that he would not tolerate a situation where foreign airlines offer poor services in Nigeria “where their businesses are doing well.”

Latest report from the Central Bank of Nigeria shows that foreign airlines repatriated over N33bn in four months.

While British Airways has denied the allegation, Delta is yet to come up with any statement.

GlobalFlyer
9th Apr 2009, 06:43
This has got to be the most absurd thing any Aviation Minister did anywhere in the world.

What's even more shocking is the degree of public support Nigerians have shown to this so-called "Minister". This boils down to public ignorance and of course total ignorance on the part of the Minister.

Mr. Minister, stop your terror and deceit. Stop asking for bribes from Delta Airlines, and stop making yourself look like a fool by attempting to dictate product details on a foreign carrier's services to Nigeria.

Would you allow Bellview Airlines to be evicted from London Heathrow or Johanesburg? Your fellow citizens are complaining of Bellview's geriatric, old, PTV'less Boeing 767-200 (OLDER than Delta 767-300s). I bet you'd cry out "Racism", "Nigerians are fed-up of the way they are treated".

Practice what your preach Mr. "Minister". You have been a total fool.

God be with Nigerians and wisdom.

Rani
9th Apr 2009, 06:58
Haven't you heard, it's Nigeria "Aviation Minister Olympics".

Each new minister must out"perform" the one before!

Gold medals are given to the ones who dwell on emotive, racial, and nationalist issues. This is all while radar coverage is nil, birds have taken over Nigerian airports, and the international gateway has 2 conveyor belts.

Yar'adua reforms my rear.

dudleydick
9th Apr 2009, 07:09
Now that this story is out in the open it is only a matter of time before it is copied by a South African Cabinet Minister.................

TonyWilliams
9th Apr 2009, 09:10
Have you considered that the real reason is to allow Nigerian carriers to establish service without more competition? Of course, they can't say that, so out comes this lame reason.

NIJASEA
9th Apr 2009, 09:18
I think putting the blame on an administrator is a waste of time, we need to get the names of the advisers to the minister (and i am sure they have not changed in 10years) and find out what the motive behind the advise is.
We have had ministers who seem to talk without thinking and that can only be due to bad advise.

Rani
9th Apr 2009, 10:47
I agree with the competition limiting theory but I think even that is way too much "thinking" for the minister to do. DL probably refused to dash or offer him free flights to the US. Call me a cynic, but that's probably the case. Look at Fani Kayode and his excesses...May he rot in jail.

AVSEC
10th Apr 2009, 17:06
Hmmmmmmm.
To change Delta airlines aircraft scheduling to satisfy preferences of all countries minister/ministry of aviation considered preference may not be practicable.

Internet is a facility where investigation of any advise given against operators into Nigeria could be quickly verified.

Imagine if Arik,Aero,Bellview and Virgin Nigeria have the same demands made of them by other countries ministers of aviation.

caution,diplomacy and verification of facts before any policy is made,SHOULD be contemplated.

18left
10th Apr 2009, 20:12
Lets face it guys,DELTA'S service is crap,as with most U.S carriers who are completely lost on luxury and comfort.

Used them a few times out of EGKK,and once out of Paris all 757/767 configured like blue tail.

U.S carriers believe long haul can be "low cost"

Most Nigerians have been "spoilt" by european carriers levels of inflight comfort,so this is new to them.

The mistake our dear Minister is making is thinking Nigeria is immune to DELTAS worldwide crappy service.

TonyWilliams
10th Apr 2009, 23:12
The mistake our dear Minister is making is thinking Nigeria is immune to DELTAS worldwide crappy service.

Read in the paper today that Delta has now been approved to operate JFK to ABV, with the promise of using the B777.

LongJohnThomas
11th Apr 2009, 01:21
I really don't know if this makes any sense, but i once travelled on an MD-11 from Lagos through Rome to Miami.
The airplane that departed Lagos was quite cramppy and leg room was something to be desired.
On the second leg, it also was an MD-11 but this time, leg room was not something i worried about considering that i am over 6 feet tall and seated in cattle class.

I wondered if it was me or was it that the airplanes operating into the America's were more comfortable?

Having done some snooping around, i discovered that the seating arrangements for the airplanes servicing Lagos at the time, were deliberately maxed out for greater load factors.
This is just one example of the kinds of things the foreign airlines can be up to in Nigeria.
No-one is screaming anything about race here, just advocating for better service from those raking the big bucks!!

I am not suggesting that the minister has a right to demand anything, but i do think he reserves the right to echo the thoughts of many Nigerians paying ''TOP DOLLAR'' to get their hides wherever.

Lagos to anywhere in the western world has more expensive tickets than equal flight time routes from London to anywhere else or even greater distances.
Thus, i am of the opinion that for the reason that we have to pay more, more is also expected. To him that is given plenty, plenty is expected in return!!

B3, we all know have the worst airplanes on the said routes, but then again, you must look at the seat prices, i think they go along the lines of a carrier with crappy equipment!!

Only my 10cent folks!!!:ok:

seper
11th Apr 2009, 05:01
Quote LJT;Lagos to anywhere in the western world has more expensive tickets than equal flight time routes from London to anywhere else or even greater distances

Do you blame them,the operating costs,additional insurance payments e.t.c.You dont see cows on the runway regularly elsewhere,or broken up bits of tar on the runway shattering your hydraulic pipes.

Besides the cheapest room in sheraton is approx $400,that will fetch you a suite in waldorf astoria,and nothing compared to Hilton in heathrow.

TonyWilliams
11th Apr 2009, 10:10
Do you blame them,the operating costs,additional insurance payments e.t.c.You dont see cows on the runway regularly elsewhere,or broken up bits of tar on the runway shattering your hydraulic pipes.

And bird strikes, non-radar (with a propensity for pilots to lie about their positions/altitudes so they can get to the runway first), more birds, gigantic equatorial CB's, not as many alternate airport choices for heavies, dust storms, crews that aren't ecstatic to be in Lagos (or the armed transport to the hotel in insane traffic/malaria/crime/etc).

It's not the same as flying London to Paris. Ok, no icing issues. But, the western world would not come to Nigeria if there wasn't money to be made, and money they do make. Lots of it. Nigeria is one of BA's biggest cash cows. Africa in general makes lots of money for DAL, and they are exercising their plans to expand there.

Finally, each of the customers flying out of Nigeria do have choices. If DAL has rubbish planes, customers can fly on the other dozen-ish airlines that operate internationally. I'm sure most will find Virgin Atlantic, or Emirates to their liking. The Arik A340 serving London LHR is absolutely gorgeous, and reasonably priced.

Revnetwork
11th Apr 2009, 10:20
Seper :ok:
I'm always fed up of the often repeated statement that Lagos -London or anywhere else for that matter is so & so airlines most "profitable" route forgetting that Nigeria is one of the most expensive places for most airlines to operate into. I work for an airline that operates on every continent there is, and our service to Lagos is definitely not our most "profitable" - It pays the bills, and is profitable though.

I also saw in one of the papers that DL had been given the rights for ABV-JFK, but the Minister does need a sanity check with a lot of his statements.

kotakota
11th Apr 2009, 13:22
If there is so much money to be made on routes in and out of Lagos ( which seems to be the general opinion ) , can someone please explain to me why The great Nigerian Airlines ( or Airways ) no longer operates , and is not The Pride Of Nigeria ?
Why are the international routes entrusted to foreign operators ?
If someone can come up with the truth , maybe the whole conundrum can be sorted ?

KK ( lights blue touch paper and retires to corner , Eccles min )

Rani
11th Apr 2009, 16:27
Kotakota,

Simple, the reasons for Nigeria Airways' demise include:

- Total mismanagement by individuals with no aviation-background (go figure).
- Corruption and greed
- Government officials insisting on flying for free
- Theft of company assests and revenues.
- Regular management changes (2 or 3 managements per year sometimes).
- Corruption
- Mismanagement

Started out The Pride of Africa and ended up The Shame of Africa

This summarized the reasons for WT's demise.

Cheers

atpcliff
11th Apr 2009, 19:41
Hi!

Delta says 2 of their 5 most profitable routes go to Africa.

They are starting ATL-Dakar-NBO I think 1 Jun.

cliff
NBO

Mr. Smith
13th Apr 2009, 13:18
I for one am glad to hear this. If the European carriers who are travelling alittle over half the distance are using bigger AND better planes (not to talk of service) then I can't feel pity for Delta. Yet again one of my bags didn't make it back to ATL with me, 3rd time in 6 months. Ridiculous.