PDA

View Full Version : MD11 wingstrike on landing at EMA

akerosid
8th Apr 2009, 17:12
Reported on another forum that an LH Cargo MD11 suffered a wingstrike on landing at EMA this morning (8th April) at c.2am. Some engine damage as well.

Wind at the time said to be c.40 kts.

Anyone heard more about this?

Kace
8th Apr 2009, 18:17
The aircraft involved was a MD11 belonging to World Airways. I donīt have any more details though.

akerosid
8th Apr 2009, 18:37
More from another forum:

"It was World Airways operating GEC 8284 BRU-EMA-JFK. The aircraft is still AOG in EMA, a new CVR and FDR are enroute as we speak. The winglet will be replaced soon, but the CDL allows the plane to go without it. There are quite a few more things that need to be done, but that is enough info for now."

lomapaseo
8th Apr 2009, 20:15
There are quite a few more things that need to be done

New engine, new pylon, new wing main spar, etc. ?

sdbelgium
8th Apr 2009, 20:21
GEC 8284 BRU-EMA-JFK
Aircraft in question would be N275WA then.

captplaystation
9th Apr 2009, 08:36
Wonder how close that was to a repeat of Fedex :eek:
Normally I would say that this aircrafts x/wind handling characteristics are an accident waiting to happen , but it already has (several times )

bnt
9th Apr 2009, 15:03
The Aviation Herald (http://avherald.com/h?article=417cb424&opt=0) has a few details, including METAR.

The airplane is currently on the ground awaiting repairs and is scheduled to be ferried to Paris CDG later this week. Damage to at least one winglet is confirmed.

airsupport
10th Apr 2009, 04:52
Any further news on this and/or photos?

muduckace
10th Apr 2009, 16:59
N275WA had suffered 2 tail strikes, most importantly the one in Montevdeo in oct of 1997 as it was on landing, the other one was in 1994 on T/O out of ANCa ferry flight with the clg retracted and #2 engine inop.

I believe the 1997 flight to be pre "FCC program that drives the stab AND during landing". A buddy of mne was in this accident. Poor girl has had a rough go, but she had not killed anyone yet.

falcon10
10th Apr 2009, 23:22
I passed through there the other night and there was NOTHING to look at! Lower winglet was removed pending repair from the looks of it AND THAT WAS IT.

THERE IS NO STORY HERE CHAPS! Talking with the ground crew it was not even a reportable incident.

muduckace
10th Apr 2009, 23:50
The lower winglet is removable for repair. It's in the CDL as is mentioned above. They may plan on operating it with the fuel penalty until the repairs are made or parts are available.

11Fan
11th Apr 2009, 03:37
Relax sport. We're just pulling your chain. If there was any news, it would have been here already. It's probably just a swap-out of the winglet. I'll look Monday when I get to work to see if there's anything worth reporting, but I doubt it.

Chocablock
11th Apr 2009, 04:15
It left for CDG @ 0352Z today.

Basil
11th Apr 2009, 08:16
It left for CDG @ 0352Z today.
Deep joy - I remember it well :*

hauxdeu
11th Apr 2009, 15:31
THERE IS NO STORY HERE CHAPS! Talking with the ground crew it was not even a reportable incident (per Mr. Falcon)

As an MD-11 Captain, I'd want to know the details of a winglet striking the ground, lest it happen to me. Isn't that a tenet of professionalism? Now if it was due to the ground crew, that's another story, but damage has to be written up and repaired. 'Nuff said.