View Full Version : TV program British Air Travel

Nightflyer
27th Feb 2001, 13:55
There was an excellent program on Discovery Wings (Sky) called British Air Travel. Great shots of Croydon and Heathrow in its early days with Hannibals, Hermes Yorks, Stratocruisers etc. It is due to be shown again.

OLD_EGG_BOUND
27th Feb 2001, 14:11
AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN.......................

snooky
27th Feb 2001, 14:14
I saw it too, it's also on Ondigital. Well worth looking out for when it's on again.

Mad Mitch
27th Feb 2001, 16:29
I think Discovery Wings is possibly the best channel on the box, some real great stuff on it like British Air Travel. Brilliant programe about the Lightning Interceptor (my favourite)on Discovery earlier last night. I just wish they'd vary it a bit more with not so many repeats.

VFE
27th Feb 2001, 17:25
Very interesting programme.

All together now:

"....and hair kims the earo-pleen from Frinkfot!"

RATBOY
27th Feb 2001, 18:51
Discovery Channel had a good program on here at the weekend on the B-777. The text was good, some of the film clips looked a little odd. Does Gatwick have a runway 17 Center? There were also clips of AA 777 leaving "DFW" with mountains in the background.

Sometimes there are also programs with some unique/new (to me) footage on the History Channel, a sister channel to Discovery I think. Much of the programming is the tired old WW 2 ones, so my wife calls it th Hitler Channel.

foghorn
27th Feb 2001, 19:18
Ratboy,

Gatwick main runway 26L/08R, reserve runway 26R/08L (only used when main not available) as they're very close together).

We've got two channel full of WWII documentaries here - The History Channel and Civilization. They don't seem to show anything else.

At least Discovery Wings is proud of its obsession :)

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 27 February 2001).]

4wings
27th Feb 2001, 20:07
One of the best of the old air documentaries was 'Airport', the first film made by the Shell Film Unit. It is a day in the life of Croydon Airport, made in 1936, and a wonderful historical document. Anybody interested should ask Shell if they still have it.

Arkroyal
27th Feb 2001, 20:43
Ratboy,

Indeed Gatwick does have a Runway 17C, it's called the M23 :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to get these great channels without putting any money in that @rse Murdoch's pocket?

daft fader
1st Mar 2001, 02:00
4wings:

Yes I`ve seen the film to which you refer...great!

One of my favourites is one I saw as a trainee atco a looooong time back which was an ICAO training film about the VOR which had us young trainees in hysterics.

I think Discovery wings is potentially an excellent channel currently marred by repeats and by unfortunately innaccurate (occasionally) narrative/ footage. A good try though.