PDA

View Full Version : Cabin crew life?

wingisland
7th Apr 2009, 18:40
Hi all

Just wondering the other day about cabin crew, a few questions popped into my mind

1) Do they have the same hours restrictions as pilots, eg 900 hrs a year, minimum of 12hrs downtime after a shift etc?

2) Do they have to pass some form of medical, and is it the CAA or individual companies who do this?

3) Terribly rude question i know but how much do they make? For example an F/O takes home lets say £40k on your average low cost carrier, what would the equivalent cabin crew pay be? And how much could that go up to for a first class cabin attendent, international routes on a legacy carrier, eg BA?

Not interested in becoming cabin crew myself, just interested to know what the other side of life is like, certainly dont need cabin crew on the aircraft I fly so no-one to ask!

HighHeeled-FA
8th Apr 2009, 08:12
ever thought about posting this on the Cabn Crew forum?

wingisland
8th Apr 2009, 09:15
I thought about it but wasnt to sure so played it safe and posted here, but i think i'll repost there, will be interested to see how different airlines treat cabin crew

Rainboe
8th Apr 2009, 14:01
Please explain the meaning of an ID like <<6fa7e659a830d0a18c60>>!

Maybe old contract BA cabin crew is pretty good, but newer recruits into the industry have a very low pay rate apart from maybe one or two airlines.

simonchowder
8th Apr 2009, 16:34
Have to agree i had to smile at the post which the person concerned claimed her salary compared well to the f/o pay of 40k (after tax!) my other half has been with a major UK operator for ten years and earns a very modest basic salary, and i mean very modest.

Rainboe
8th Apr 2009, 19:57
Touchy! I was just intrigued at that ID, but never mind, keep your silly secrets to yourself! And you are deluding yourself if you think cabin crew pay 'compares fairly well' with F/O pay of £40k! Most airlines pay 'much less' than half that figure!

easy1
9th Apr 2009, 08:14
:eek:Can I ask a personal question?.............. WHO ARE YOU SLEEPING WITH TO GET £40,000??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HighHeeled-FA
9th Apr 2009, 08:24
and lastly.. obviously the pay!! all i can say is it compares farely well to the quote you gave for first officer pay!...40K

I saw this post here yesterday.But I couldn't reply until now because I have only just stopped laughing.:}

maybe in your airline the cabin crew are not appreciated for the job that they do, HOWEVER in my airline we are very much appreciated

Oh my god, I've got to sign off now. the laughing fits have started again...

well I work for an Irish airline ...! a few years now

Who needs University degrees when you can be on 40K at 21!

ex-XL-in-exile
9th Apr 2009, 08:54
An Irish airline? So... Ryanair or Aer Lingus?

......£40k?

No way. Take that figure, divide it by two and then hope like hell it doesn't drop too much further like our bods on Jet2.

Rainboe
9th Apr 2009, 09:43
I was beginning to feel I was banging my head into a brick wall. I think certain assumptions are going on here- grossing up allowances, flight pay etc, and assuming they are worth so much gross. I am aware of cabin crew pay from Mrs Rainboe and we definitely have a reality crisis here!

The reason for my query about the origin of the ID <6fa7e659a830d0a18c60>, I thought you were trying to pass yourself off as my good friend <6fa7e659a830d0a18c61>!

smudgethecat
9th Apr 2009, 10:49
Just noticed were talking net pay not gross pay here, so you are claiming that as a 21 year old CC member your gross salary is likely to be well over 50k?, i think your forgetting a important point here, your not down the pub playing the big shot your on a aviation forum, which means sadly for you lots of people here know pretty well how much for eg pilots/ engineers /ATC/ cabin crew earn, now run along and stop making a arse of yourself.

hellsbrink
9th Apr 2009, 12:42
oh btw sorry about the username I taught you were been smart.! I don't know where that came from a friend of mine set this up for me

Did he believe in safe hex?

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Apr 2009, 18:18
well I work for an Irish airline ...! a few years now! and I can tell you right here right now that my salary is over 40 grand.!!! including sector pay!!!!!!!

That's Garbage!!

I think CC are lucky to get even anywhere near 25,000 never mind 40,000!!

I may be wrong, Or you work for an Airline who is paying well OTT?

jet2impress
10th Apr 2009, 15:44
I work for Jet2 as a senior cabin crew. Been there for 6 years and earn around £26,000 (before tax). Although, not sure how that figure will look by the end of this year, our commission structure has just changed and not in a good way. I have heard of CSD's at BA on older contracts who are on £40,000+. So there are some crew out there earning that sort of money.

ACARS
10th Apr 2009, 17:50
Convert his username from HEX to decimal and you get his salary.

5.2727988434166936e+23

:ok:

Nicholas49
10th Apr 2009, 21:54
Guys, if you're not really careful this will turn into another wind-up thread like the easyclara one in the T&C forum. :ok:

By the way, that must be the craziest username I've ever seen. You must have to write it down so you can remember it each time you log on - incredible!