PDA

View Full Version : over blinking of the eyes

balajinaidoo
7th Apr 2009, 16:41
hi guys
i a bit worried about my eyes
for the past 2 years my eyes are bilking more than normal like 2 times the normal rate
i went to the doctor he gave me some eye drops which is not curing the bilking problem at all

so will it affect me getting a medical class 1

help!!!
your help is much appreciated

nannodnai
7th Apr 2009, 17:01
so will it affect me getting a medical class 1 ?

Obviously that question cannot be answered here - much more information would be required, including details of a thorough ophthalmic examination.

Having said that - - - - unless there are other factors which you've not mentioned, I would think that the likelihood of a major problem is quite low. Eyes can sometimes appear dry or irritated if an individual is under more stress than usual. Excessive blinking can then almost become a habit ! Often it is others who notice it, rather than the person in whom it is happening !

If the prescribed drops (one wonders what they are, and what they were intended to do ? ) have had no effect at all, then the most sensible next step would be to return to your doctor, and ask that the whole thing be carefully reviewed.

Loose rivets
7th Apr 2009, 18:16
It's brought back a distant memory of flying with a captain that blinked excessively. At least twice the count of 'normal'. Did it all the time I knew him, and he seemed to have no problem with eyesight.

Dry eyes are painful. Often, very painful. If you feel that you have dry eyes, it should be properly diagnosed - you sit there with bits of stuff like litmus paper hanging out of your eyes.

You could try peeling onions. If you have dry eyes, YOU WILL BE LESS AFFECTED THAN NORMAL PEOPLE. Tears mix with onion juice to create the acid that stings.

Just a thought. You could try to get someone to see if your eyes dart about as much as a 'normal' persons. Your brain needs to reset your vision hundreds of times a minute. If for instance they were rather still, the blinking may be taking over from the lack of eye movement.

Personally, I'd try hard to control it with counting between blinks. If it's impossible, then yes, full checkup.

balajinaidoo
5th Sep 2009, 07:28
does over blinking affects chance of passing class 1??

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2009, 14:57
Well, as I implied, it used not to.

Hawk
7th Sep 2009, 03:46
"Over blinking" can be a symptom of a neurological or psychiatric condition apart from "dry eyes". Blinking can be a response to rapid eye movement or what is called constant tracking. Those are symptoms of other conditions mentioned above. An Optomologist may attribute your symptoms to a dry eye condition and may possibly refer you on to a Ophthalmologist if in doubt. Otherwise, if you are not satisfied and it is a recent occurence (particularly in your stated age group) you need to also request an examination by a Neurologist to eliminate a physiological condition. Depending on those results you may also be referred to a Neuro psychologist or Clinical psychologist.

There are also people that "over blink" by habit and the symptom essentially just reflects a benign condition, as mentioned above by Loose Rivets. Nannodai also reflects on the ambiguity of your symptoms by asking more direct questions.

A simple symptom sometimes involves a lot of tests. You have posed a legitimate question and in terms of discussion an interesting one. Unfortunately in terms of your Class 1, this is a general discussion forum and noone can give you any assurances one way or the other.

Very best wishes.