PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tubs

candoo
7th Apr 2009, 12:03
Well as the recession bites and the Candoo's have postponed a move north of Watford we decided to spunk up the current abode for the next few years.

Hot tubs have always been high on my wish list and I have the perfect space for one.

Anyone with any experience in these matters, I have certain criteria:

Must be capable of holding at least 4 well built adults
Must have built in sound system and LCD TV
Must have cocktail bar
Must have disco lights as an option
Must get past Mrs Candoo's budgetary limitations - about 6K, but with my adjustment 9K.
Must be weatherproof

Any advice most welcome and no questions regarding first criteria!

sitigeltfel
7th Apr 2009, 12:27
Forget it. Unless you treat the water with chemicals to eye stinging concentration they are a breeding ground for every bug known to man (and woman)!

Hot Tub Mishap Video (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/6394)

Sprogget
7th Apr 2009, 12:28
...and a fad. everyone I know who got one, got bored of them in a few months.

candoo
7th Apr 2009, 13:54
...and a fad. everyone I know who got one, got bored of them in a few months.

I'm resolute, they clearly were not using them proper

How about another must have... remember those dancing flowers that were all the rage about 20 years ago, I now want one of those as well.

Storminnorm
7th Apr 2009, 13:56
They'd be very handy for making lots of soup in I reckon.

ExpatChris
7th Apr 2009, 14:37
Hi Got my spa from Spas | Portable spas, Factory prices, Sydney & Gold Coast spas, hot tub, spa pools, (http://www.southwestspas.net) uk company really good and no im not connected just a happy punter.

Ta

frostbite
7th Apr 2009, 14:49
Will you be getting a Billy the Fish to go with it?

Storminnorm
7th Apr 2009, 14:54
Or "Olly" the octopus?

er340790
7th Apr 2009, 15:17
Infiniti by Maxx - 5 seater.

Bought our current place with the above model of the above built into the outdoor deck. Was surprised it had already survived 3 Winters @ down to -41c.

From a usage point of view, the model was initially excellent. Ignore the naysayers - as long as you keep up with the chemical checks twice a week (2 mins max) and change the water every 2 or 3 months you will have zero water issues.

That said, it appears our's was built on a particuarly bad Monday morning. Some piping leaks became apparent in 2005 and 2006. To be fair these were fixed by the dealer under the manufacturer's impressive 5 year warranty. In 2008 further leaks happened. The dealer reckoned the pipe connections had only had the primer affixed at the factory, and not the curing glue. I forget, but one is blue the other purple and one colour was missing. The problem is the whole thing has spray-in insulation, so trying to locate / fix every possible connection afterwards is nigh-on impossible. Of course by 2008 it was out of guarantee and the manufacturer didn't want to know.

Above led to disaster while we were away last Dec. Small leak grew bigger and water level dropped. This causes heater to cut-out to prevent overheating. Temp at time was down to -35c which caused entire thing to freeze solid. Tub shell has survived OK but suspect by the time the pipes all thaw (mid April) it will be a write-off.

My opinion? They are great, but can be troublesome. Elec cost in Canada works out @ $2-$3/day. Forget the $1/day they advertise - that must be during Summer in Florida.

Will I replace it? No. Putting a cedar-lined sauna into the basement. Zero operating costs when not in use and no issues when you're away for a few weeks.

OFSO
7th Apr 2009, 15:26
Forget it. Unless you treat the water with chemicals to eye stinging concentration they are a breeding ground for every bug known to man (and woman)!

Absolutely correct. A good friend, a retired German surgeon, hiker and sea-swimmer, said of the local gym's hot tub "like all of them, the most amazing collection of diverse but nasty bacteria to be found in one place".

Unless, of course you fill it with slivovitz or the like, in which case you may happily spend all day in it. Oh, and take a straw....

CityofFlight
7th Apr 2009, 15:34
As mentioned, the water condition must be monitored and the tub should be drained with regularity and cleaned, otherwise one is prone to battle skin irritating bacteria. (unless you're using heavy duty chemicals as part of water treatment.)

I don't believe one needs to purchase the most expensive, but I would use caution in looking for "deals". Nothing worse than having constant repairs.

That said, they are enjoyable. I used ours regularly. I miss it. :{ :)

vonbag
7th Apr 2009, 15:34
The Legionella Bacteria come to mind. Very nasty ones, too:

Legionella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionella)

larssnowpharter
7th Apr 2009, 15:44
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/larssnowpharter/family270.jpg

candoo
7th Apr 2009, 16:08
Humphhh

I need encouragement not tales of blisters and plagues.

Of course the water would be monitored, I pee regular like.

Olly would be a "freebie" optional extra, not sure about Billy the Fish though

Gimme some plusses

bar fly
7th Apr 2009, 16:13
You can fit 4 gorgeous babes in there with you. Or 3 fat ones. :ok:

candoo
7th Apr 2009, 16:20
bar fly

Do you live next door?

candoo
7th Apr 2009, 17:12
Tub for Germans? (http://www.bathroomexpress.co.uk/pimp_my_ride_bathroom_express.htm)

Weird but interesting

I just want an outdoor hot tub with a few "extras" come on someone has one?

flyingfemme
7th Apr 2009, 17:31
My mother has had one for about 5 years - not as big as you'd like, 4 people would have to be very cosy, and no bells or whistles. She parked it in a fancy shed at the end of the garden (no insulation, just a shed) and keeps a thick lid on it when not in use. The cost of tub and shed were way less than Ģ9K and probably less than Ģ6K.

Changes the water about 4 times a year and has had no health problems.

Running costs can't be too onerous because there has been no moaning and breakdowns were fixed quite cheaply.

She uses it almost every day because she has rheumatoid arthritis and it's good for her. Good for me too, when I visit :ok:

ChrisVJ
7th Apr 2009, 17:54
Like most things on here you will get those who love them and would put up with any hassle or price and those who don't and won't.

Put me down with the latter, and I have had two of them.

Bought first one to complete high end house. Used it at least three times before the novelty wore off. Checking it twice a week is fine if you are using it, painful if you are not and worse than a nightmare if you get out of synch with the treatments. Emptied it after twelve weeks and never filled it again.

Second one came with current house. Filled it in November in anticipation of family coming home for Christmas. Worked for a week then the pump exploded. Luckily it was semi outdoors and ground under ti drained away from the house. Two weeks and only three or four mashed fingers later, (not to mention the three hundred dollars and the blue air around that area of the building,) got it back together. Family arrived, "Oh, how wonderful, you got a hot tub with the house." Used it twice and then they all ignored it.

Hot tubs are definitely a sale feature around here. Buy it, put it in, but never, ever fill it. best policy.

Juud
7th Apr 2009, 19:00
Candoo, we bought a plot-with-a-view 9 years ago. Gorgeous but steep and needed 6 months with a chain saw before we could start building.
Long before the first stick of dynamite was applied by the Explosive Nephew, Mr40 bought himself a Nordic Crown XL from this mob (http://www.nordichottubs.com/) and put it in storage.

Once the house was up, the tub was ceremonially positioned under an outside roof, with a view of the lake below and across the hills.
Temps here vary between -15C and +30C, and natural decor from 10 ft of snow to green lawn, so boring it isnīt. Rather than tv and music, nature provides the entertainment.
Iīm not a particular fan of sitting in it, but that tub has seen almost continuous use for the past 7+ years. My husband loves it for stress busting and getting the day in its proper perspective, and itīs the best single thing heīs ever bought himself.

Itīs well insulated, costs little to run electricity wise, the pump has never broken down, and water quality maintenance is easy.
How often you need to change the water depends on use (after teenage parties itīs like a bouillabaisse with beer bottle top seasoning :yuk: ) but about 4 times a year here. So it pays to position it in a way that facilitates draining it.

If you think itīs for you, go for it. :ok: