PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a helicopter?

Timothy
6th Apr 2009, 22:03
I know that I am laying myself open to all sorts of jibes and teasing by asking this question but I am serious and would like a serious answer.

I have been flying aeroplanes for nearly 40 years. I have done most things that aeroplane pilots dream about - I have flown a Spitfire, I have had a job flying executive jets, I have flown solo across the North Pole etc. - and have come to something of a crossroads. I have to decide whether to spend a serious amount of money getting my aeroplane fixed or to jack in aeroplanes (on the basis of been there, done that) and start again on helicopters.

I have flown a few hours here and there on Bell 47, R44, JetRanger and Schweizer plus a couple of hours on a Twin Squirrel sim and I have to say that I think it's the best thing ever, and I am very tempted to get a PPL(H), probably on R44, probably at Redhill.

I live in Epsom in an ordinary suburban house without a garden big enough to operate a helicopter from. I am walking distance from Malden Rushett farmstrip. I doubt if I will ever own a helicopter, I will simply rent. I can probably afford to do about 50 hours a year on a rented R44, or rather less on a 120 or JetRanger.

My question for you all is simply "what will I end up doing with a helicopter licence once I get it?" I am unlikely to want to go serious distances at 110kts on 250nm hops, I'd rather take EZY. I am not a great one for posh hotels, and there is a certain number of times that I can do the London heli routes.

So, if I spend £15k on a PPL(H), what do you I will be doing with it in two or five years?

Geoffersincornwall
7th Apr 2009, 05:49
I have had the opportunity to fly the length and breadth of the UK and some other parts of the world and one of the greatest and most beautiful flights is one along a coast line, low level. If you have enough cash for a circumnavigation of the UK you will see sights you never dreamt of. I suppose you could almost achieve the same in a C150 but it will need a lot of time overnighting at boring airfields whereas you are likely to find enough helipad equipped hotels to satisfy your needs.

No navigation problems are likely - keep the blue stuff on the left and the green stuff on the right and keep going until you arrive where you started.

Similar flights along the coastlines of the world will also intrigue and surprise you.

G

PS. when you are bored with coastal flying you can try flying around the mountains but for that you will need a professional guide or some good training. Mountains can be awe enspiring.

Johe02
7th Apr 2009, 07:45
Good reply Geoffers, I think that’s what I would do in a similar situation.

BTW I know an experienced FW pilot who was just happy to achieve his PPL(H)

boffo
7th Apr 2009, 11:25
I have a PPL(A), and although I have had nowhere near your experience (Spitfire - green envious expression) I have almost stopped using it since I started flying helicopters. I fly Robbos and, although I can almost hear the gnashing of teeth from some anti-Robinson diehards, I still get a real thrill every time I lift into the hover. Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I find the heliroutes exciting - especially with friends; the Lake District is awesome, and there are hotels you can have lunch in; friends in the countryside with biggish gardens are always pleased to be dropped in on.

Go for it - if you've got the money.

Boffo.

PS Declaration of interest: Freelance instructor at Redhill :)

Timothy
7th Apr 2009, 11:36
The anti-Robinson diehards seem to limit their wrath to 22s. Am I not right in thinking that the approval rating for the 44 is rather higher?

Would you learn in the 22 or 44? Mark at LHC seemed to think that the 44 would suit me better (partly because I am overweight, partly because they are just nicer.)

But I still remain nervous that I will get the licence and never use it. The coastline sounds lovely, and the heli-routes almost as spectacular, but I just fear that it will become the £400 hamburger on sunny Saturdays.

61 Lafite
7th Apr 2009, 12:34
Would you learn in the 22 or 44? Mark at LHC seemed to think that the 44 would suit me better (partly because I am overweight, partly because they are just nicer.)

They are just nicer. Quieter, faster, more rotor inertia, more spare power (if you don't highly load it), auto's like a dream, fuel injection if you train in the Raven II. If you have the dosh, go with the 44.

However, if you are heavy then with an instructor and limited fuel in a 22, it will teach you to fly on the edge of the envelope!

As to the why do it at all - for god's sake, man, it's a life experience. Have the fun of doing the training and see where it goes from there! Life doesn't always have to have a financially viable purpose, and a £400 bacon sandwich can be a lot of fun. Stop thinking about it so much!

Lafite.

birrddog
7th Apr 2009, 13:58
Good call Geoffers.

Tim, look at some of the Pics on Rotorheads Around The World, Views from the Cockpit.

One thing with helicopters, is after you learn to suck up the expense, use them for what they were designed for, convenience and confined areas!

Going to London - fly to Battersea, overnighting somewhere, land at the hotel.

These landing fee's can be a drag, but they are also what permit you to get additional value out of the experience.

Another good thing is 'Valet Parking' - Have your local FBO bring the machine out to you. A hard pill to swallow initially, thinking about paying for flying time where you are not behind the stick, though it gets easier as you start to enjoy the novelty of the experience.

Seeing the detail of the world at 2000' and below is an incredible experience, and the fact you get to hover if you see something really worthwhile does not hurt either!

I remember a trip where I was adding game sightings in my position reports, flying through Botswana. Much to the jealousy, and later requests of fixed wing pilots trying to make out the curvature of the earth.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy!

EN48
7th Apr 2009, 14:28
for god's sake, man, it's a life experience. Have the fun of doing the training and see where it goes from there! Life doesn't always have to have a financially viable purpose, and a £400 bacon sandwich can be a lot of fun. Stop thinking about it so much!

Words of wisdom! Dont mean to be a damper, but if you have to ask, perhaps not for you. Have benn flying for more than 40 years with no other purpose than personal accomplishment and enjoyment. Recently made the transition to helicopters that you are describing and my only regret is waiting so long. Life is short.

JimBall
7th Apr 2009, 15:14
"Go to London, land at Battersea"

Or save your money and do another 2 hrs in the 44.........

Timothy, all the answers you've had say it all. I never cease to be amazed at the wonderful sights the UK delivers to adventurous helicopter pilots. Sunset over Snowdon, the Scillies, London, the beaches of Norfolk and the east coast.

Was flying around The Wirral last weekend - spectacular beaches and marshes. The waterfront of Liverpool - and being able to see the Lake District and Snowdon from above Merseyside on a good day.

We have the most fantastic variety of scenery, your 44 will take you to some charming small airfields, hotels and guest houses. Just avoid Battersea! (If you want a challenge - land at Vanguard on the IOD - and it's much cheaper.)

Tarman
7th Apr 2009, 15:54
Come up to Scotland and land on one of the islands on Loch Lomond, you will never forget it. Inchmurn Island has a small pub, a secluded beach, a jetty and little else. It is a regular stop off for the boats on the loch and landing on the pub garden then looking over the loch with a cool drink in your hand is one of life's true pleasures and privileges.:)

RINKER
7th Apr 2009, 16:33
Timothy as the others have said do it for the thrill and the challenge of learning to fly the machine and then have fun. I'm maybe a bit sad when it comes to rotary flight having been interested all my life but for me nothing beats a mountain top picnic or camping on a secluded Scottish Island beach or checking out the hill Lochs for future fishing trips. I could go on and as Tarman said Inchmurin Island on Lochlomond a great friendly stop with good food just watch the not so obvious wire to the southwest of the sight quite low between the end of the house and the trees as I recall and don't forget to overfly the nudist colony as you lift out ! .
Enjoy. R

TabbyCat
7th Apr 2009, 16:38
And just think of all those potential picnic companions who have a thing for those whirly machines....

TC.

muffin
7th Apr 2009, 19:40
I seem to remember you venturing on here a few years back Timothy, so I am pleased that you were not too put off then. Maybe losing an engine crystallises the thought process.

I too have been flying fixed wing for 30 odd years, and although I have nothing like your experience, I discovered rotary flight about 9 years ago now. I still keep both licences up, but rotary has got to be the winner for sheer enjoyment. I have run an R22 for a few years but finally got around to doing an R44 rating last year. As others have said it is a lot nicer to fly and faster - I find that a long journey in a 22 is like driving an old Mini to John O'Groats so I normally limit flights to an hour or two each way. My wife actually persuaded me to get a rotary licence on the basis of "do it while you are still young enough to be able to" and I am very very glad that I did. I use my 22 as a runabout to go out for lunch, commute to work, drop in at the village pub, visit friends with big gardens etc etc plus occasional long trips on Summer days.

Best fun I have ever had with clothes on.

Go for it.

John R81
7th Apr 2009, 19:46
If you are planning to train at Redhill and can afford to do that in a 44, check out the EC120 price.

Seriously good fun

Hilico
7th Apr 2009, 20:01
Muffin

I always used to say to my instructor, 'if you made me undress before getting in the aircraft, it would be the most fun I had with my clothes off'.

EN48
7th Apr 2009, 21:26
'if you made me undress before getting in the aircraft, it would be the most fun I had with my clothes off'.

Too much information!:E

krypton_john
7th Apr 2009, 23:52
Timbo, I respectfully suggest you don't do this in a helicopter. Unless you are in the back of an A109 that is!

TOMMY LEE PILOT STRIPPED OF HIS LICENSE (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/360533-rocker-tommy-lees-helicopter-forced-land-police-3.html)

MightyGem
8th Apr 2009, 00:32
What can I do with a helicopter?

Hover.
Fly backwards.
Fly sideways.
Pirouette.
Land on top of a mountain.
Land in a small clearing in a wood.
Look at fixed wing pilots and think, "You can't do what I can do".
HAVE FUN!!!!

Pilot DAR
8th Apr 2009, 01:41
Timothy,

After 30 years and 5000 hours fixed wing, I needed more challenge. I took up helicopters (while still doing lots of fixed wing). I earned my PPL(H), and went to western Canada to fly helicopters in the mountains. What a remarkable experience to land the MD500 on a mountain top, a rambly log helipad halfway up the mountain, a rocky river shore in among the trees, and toe ins on a hill so steep, I would not consider running my ATV up!

I'll never give up fixed wing, but helicopters are the other half of flying for me. I recommend the SW300 for training. It will command greater engine management discipline from you, and reward you with a real feeling of solid confidence and manueverability.

Pilot DAR

topendtorque
8th Apr 2009, 13:27
Timothy
what can you do you ask?
fly backwards any day you like,
yer can't do that in the bloody spitfire.
tet

ShyTorque
8th Apr 2009, 18:29
Going to London - fly to Battersea, overnighting somewhere, land at the hotel.

These landing fee's can be a drag, but they are also what permit you to get additional value out of the experience.

Birddog, when was the last time you went into Battersea?

JimBall has it right - an eye-watering £550 landing fee and £300 per hour parking. :hmm:

birrddog
8th Apr 2009, 19:02
ShyT, I was mainly referring to my experiences with NYC Heliports ($275 during peak times), not quite Battersea rates but still a lot less for a town car to the airport!

My point was not to commute into Battersea every day, I just meant as part of the experience, and yes, paying GBP550 for landing fee's will be some experience! - Probably a bad one, but one you would remember none the less! :p

Closest I got to Battersea was the London Heli routes, though did have a friend who worked there once upon a twice who invited me to visit.

ShyTorque
8th Apr 2009, 19:36
I'm a regular user but thankfully someone else pays; even so I'll always remember it as a rip-off! :)

Hilico
8th Apr 2009, 21:07
OK then, 'what can I do with a helicopter?'. Sell it and pay a landing fee at Battersea with the proceeds...

8th Apr 2009, 22:38
'What can you do with a Helicopter?'

Tim, I'm not qualified to respond regarding long trips, land aways or any aspect of Heli flying with regard to experience or ability.

But with 68 hours R22, 1 hour R44 and a PPL(H) I'm only a breath away from where you are now.

I think the thing about Heli flying that will hit you in the mouth is the wonderful, delicious, slow integration of all of your limbs and muscles into the machine itself.

Before 40 hours I was just a puppet with the instructors voice in my head pulling the strings.

I found that around the 40 to 50 hour mark, your body realises it has to be part of the machine. At that point I understood what Mike Smith meant when he told me that the pilot was the stabilising input.

I have hundreds of hours on Hang Gliders and (as with most fixed wings I guess) you can go hands off for yonks. They hardly need a pilot, I've seen them blown of hills pilotless and land themselves after a 360 in a raging gale.

No such luxury in a 22, one seems to be making a host of millimetric control pressures every second and having to 'A.N.C' simultaneously. And that moment when you have all controls and you manage to hover? It is totally priceless.

I can't fly anymore, hopefully temporarily, but I don't regret one penny of the 8,000 my PPL(H) cost. I knew then I would never be able to regularly fly Heli's but I wanted the experience of just doing it. That money didn't just get me a licence, it bought me an education and I found out a lot about myself I didn't know (good and bad).

I don't know for sure but I think learning to fly a Hang Glider might be on a par with learning a Cessna and for me the fixed wing memories really do pale into insignificance with my rotary memories.

You sound like a chap who likes to test himself - well there is no better and more enjoyable test then learning rotary.

It sorts the men from the boys in as much as you can for a brief time become that boy again.

Regards

Cron.

Johe02
9th Apr 2009, 13:05
Well said Cron. .

Another thought - If you ever owned a motorcycle did you ask. What can I do with a motorcycle? :E

moosp
9th Apr 2009, 15:38
As your previous fixed wing instructors may have said to you when they checked you out on a new machine, "this is a licence to learn".

With 17,000 hours of airline flying I picked up helicopters late in life. It is a young mans sport, so if you are near 50 expect to double every hours requirement in the book. Also you will find that capable 21 year old instructors will tell you that you are ready to go solo. Politely decline, and go solo when you know with your fixed wing experience that you feel ready.

The R44 is an excellent training machine if you can afford it. Frank Robinson agrees with enthusiasm.

What to do with the licence? Just keep learning. The self development that you feel as you master certain aspects of the machine will keep you in a positive personal development stage for years. Try doing all the endorsement add ons that you can find. Go to Torrance and do the safety course. (It is done locally in your country but the pilgrimage to TOA will stay with you, and you meet interesting people.)

Australia will give you low flying, America (and many other interesting countries like South Africa or New Zealand) will give you mountain endorsements. Do a night rating. Learn to make an ADF approach in an R22 with a fixed card relative bearing indicator. Plan a 3 day cross country to Scotland.

On this forum years ago a wise man said, "try to fly as many different machines as you can." That has been very good advice, I get both sound experience and immense personal satisfaction for every extra type rating on my licence.

Go for it. This life is not a rehearsal.