PDA

View Full Version : MS Outlook 2003 Odd Problem

gearontheglide
6th Apr 2009, 18:59
I have done an extensive search through this forum but have not found an answer, hence new thread:

About 4 months ago, a couple of emails from my dad arrived but the embedded pictures within the email failed to show. All other senders came through fine as well as all emails with pictures as attachments. Problem seemed to go away for a while but the last couple of weeks, the emails from Glide Senior as well as now from Brother Glide have the same problem; embedded pictures nada, attached pictures fine. Strange thing is, if anyone else sends emails with embeds in, they come through fine. Stranger thing is, all others on the distro from Dad or Bro get all emails without snags:confused:

I have gone through the tools - options route and have unchecked the 'Don't download pictures' box in the security tab but the problem still exists.

One is now a mixture of :ugh: and:* and :confused: but mostly :ugh:

Any and all help most welcome. Thanks

jimtherev
6th Apr 2009, 22:17
A long shot, but...
Does Glide Snr use the AOL client for email by any chance? I remember some time back discovering that if I used this, embedded files and attachments randomly didn't embed or attach. And this only to some recipients, too, which added more confusion.
After much Googling & forum-ing I discovered that this was a known glitch, cured by sending the mail as .txt not as html.

Nothing lost in that way (I believe) since I started using a non-bastardised mail client.

Any help?

gearontheglide
7th Apr 2009, 20:32
Not certain if he is but will check regardless. This is becoming a complete embu66erance because he is a mine of entertaining emails from his fellow retired friends with nothing better to do! :ok:

Thanks for the assist.

stickyb
8th Apr 2009, 02:01
Have also experienced the problem. Way round is to tell the sender not to send to you as html.

Also, the other variation on the problem is that you get 2 copies of the pictures in the email - 1 set embedded, the other as attachments!

ozzienpg
8th Apr 2009, 08:56
sounds like the secure temp folder is full.

bring up a registry editor to find out where outlook stores the data.

it can be found in this key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Sec urity

its usually in the format of:
C:\Documents and
Settings\<yourusername>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\<securetempfoldername>

empty the contents of the folder and away you go.

gearontheglide
8th Apr 2009, 22:54
Thanks for the advice.

StickyB: Glide Snr is a somewhat curmudgeonly old chap and to ask him to attempt to alter settings and send stuff twice would be pushing it!

Ozzienpg: After much searching I found the folder and it had a stack of random documents, pictures and even a Powerpoint presentation in it :confused: Folder is now empty and will see if tomorrows clutch of funnies gets through.