PDA

View Full Version : What is The Shortest You Have Owned a Daily Use Item?

V2-OMG!
6th Apr 2009, 19:08
This is a take on brickhistory's "What is the Longest You Have Owned a Daily Use Item?"

I think I have owned more things that were supposed to last a long time, but didn't!

Notably, a fancy Braun drip coffee machine. It was so fancy that
when a guest dropped the glass carafe and broke it within days of purchase, I could not find a replacement carafe.

The next one was less chic, but should another klutz break the carafe, it will be easier to find a replcement. When I feel like spending the money, I will upgrade to a machine with a stainless-steel carafe.

BTW, why do the households and hotels in Australia have nothing but instant coffee? Drip coffee machines are non-existent. A typical North American Motel 6 will even have a drip-coffee machine in their rooms.

It was the only thing I did not like about Australia.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21796710/360632447.jpg

TWOTBAGS
6th Apr 2009, 19:29
Lasted the whole of about 12 seconds.

Took it out of the packaging, rolled it between my fingers and bent it to test how flexible it was......

One finger slipped......

The toothbrush flew......

And straight out a 6th story window never to be seen again.

Pissed my laughing, wife came in to see what was up.....
When finally composed enough to explain, her answer was simple.

You idiot ! cant argue with that:E

con-pilot
6th Apr 2009, 19:38
A bread toaster. Brought it home, plugged it in, placed two pieces of bread into the thing, pushed the handle down and POP, a wisp of smoke and that was it.

I unplugged it, took it back to the store and got my money back.

tony draper
6th Apr 2009, 19:42
I seem to recall some pruner buying a large plasma wide screen which was dropped on the doorstep during delivery.
Only one entry in the diary that night,one simply wrote Buggah!
:rolleyes:

mr fish
6th Apr 2009, 19:57
bought a new err, "slightly less than premium" body spray.
one spray and the wife said (and i quote)
"fu:mad:ing hell, you smell like a dead horse".

gave it to my teenage son, waste not, want not:E

corsair
6th Apr 2009, 19:58
I'll see that plasma screen and raise you one more. Ordered a 32" LCD. It arrived damaged, sent it back, replacement arrived, different courier, same issue. Sent that back and asked for money back reckoning the company was unlucky. Ordered same TV from another vendor, different courier. Finally arrived in one piece and I saved money as the price dropped in the meantime.:ok:

tony draper
6th Apr 2009, 20:05
Mentioned on another thread,next door's fridge freezer gave up the ghost yesterday ,much panic about storing frozen goods,anyway out they trot this morning and buy a new one,meanwhile old mate of mine comes to the towers for a cuppa and chat,mentions fridge freezer saga,he says had they moved it before it jacked in?,yes I reply they been redecorating.
Well say he, prolly nowt wrong with it,fridge freezers do not like being moved,try switching it on again,we do so,fridge freezer fires up and chuggs happily away freezing stuff,eeeaaawwww!!
Anybody want a fridge freezer?

OFSO
6th Apr 2009, 20:41
Going off-thread but it's maybe useful advice: instructions for our new Siemens fridge say leave in place for 30 minutes before plugging in, however delivery guys said five hours stationary, upright and OFF is better to allow coolant to drain from where it pooled during delivery transport.

R

er340790
6th Apr 2009, 21:05
V2-OMG is correct. My top of the range ($139) Braun percolator packed up 2 (yes two) days after the 12 month guarantee was up. Would Braun replace it? Would they buggery!

In protest, I bought a $14.95 jobbie from Canadian Tire. Still going strong 4 years later.

Do miss the auto-brew time at 06.30 though! ;)

tony draper
6th Apr 2009, 22:23
Ah well yer wouldn't need all those fancy gadgets if you favored a civilized drink like Tea.
Nephew is a coffee connaisseur(sp?)goes to a lot of trouble making me coffee with fancy percolator different brands ect,dunno why he bothers it all tastes the same to me,I'm just as happy with a cup of instant from a jar,
One is a tea person.

lexxity
6th Apr 2009, 22:24
Indesit piece of sh1t dishwasher. Bought about 2 1/2 years ago. Bits falling off and then burns out. Indesit say they'll sort it out for £99.98. I say what ever happened to build quality? Indesit say can't guarantee products over 12months!

ChrisVJ
6th Apr 2009, 22:36
That's why it is called Indesh*t.

Blues&twos
6th Apr 2009, 22:37
Windscreen on my Renault Scenic. Fitted one afternoon, broken following morning by a stone.

Rear bumper on my Renault Scenic. Replaced after some idiot drove into me whilst I was stationary. 22 hours after getting it back from the repair centre, some uninsured idiot ran into the back of me while I was stationary.

(8 months later the car was written off after....you've guessed it...)

stagger
6th Apr 2009, 22:40
An umbrella - removed it from the packaging, put it up, first spoke broke within 30 seconds. The whole thing was a wreck within 4 minutes.

lexxity
6th Apr 2009, 22:48
That's why it is called Indesh*t.

I know that now! I'll not be buying anything from them again. Back to buying the cheapo brand that lasts for years from now on. :ok:

MadsDad
6th Apr 2009, 23:03
Mate I was working with went to take delivery of his brand new Beemer. Turned left out of garage, traffic lights 50 yards down the road turned red so he started slowing down. Problem was the new car was an automatic and he wasn't used to it, habit made him dip the 'clutch' and he did a full house emergency stop. Lorry behind didn't. :eek:

Salesman was a bit surprised when he took it back mangled after 15 minutes.

ShyTorque
6th Apr 2009, 23:21
This keyboar......

gingernut
6th Apr 2009, 23:37
Anything from Poundland.

seacue
7th Apr 2009, 01:30
Not I, but a coworker had a story.

Years earlier he had finally reached great financial heights and was able to buy his first new (not used) car.

Salesman drives him around the block demonstrating various features.

Stop car in front of the dealership and saleman hands him the keys. "The car is now all yours, Mr Miller." CRASH!!!

A woman driving out of the dealership had smashed into his car before he had ever driven it. She was probably unfamiliar with an automatic transmission.

I gather the dealership washed their hands of the matter and it was up to the insurance companies.

airfoilmod
7th Apr 2009, 02:44
I was only 3 foot tall when I owned my first Hairbrush. Is that the Shortest? May I have Pie?

AF

Dushan
7th Apr 2009, 03:31
Anything from Poundland.

We have a Dollarama...

Need I say more?

vonbag
7th Apr 2009, 09:58
A fake tooth:
One day the dentist installed it, 4 yrs. guarantee, the next day it fell off (almost swallowed it).
I am possibly gonna end up looking like this: :}

corsair
7th Apr 2009, 11:07
my Renault Scenic.That there was your mistake straight away. Karma that is. The Gods were saying 'Buy a proper car'.

Ken Wells
7th Apr 2009, 11:23
Just got a wireless Key Boa.............

Ancient Observer
7th Apr 2009, 12:16
Have some time now to do the odd bit of diy. She who must be obeyed has recently had her "spring clean" gene activated.
Thus, had to prep some external windows for she who must be obeyed to paint. Prep is hard as the windows were gloss paint on wood, and needed a fair amount of sanding.
As the project was proceeding, found we needed some new casement window stays. (I have no idea what they are called in USA/Oz). After much diy-ing, (I knew that cord-free drill would come in handy one day), new stays in place. Hours of work, plus trip to diy shop.
Invited she who must be obeyed to ceremonial openning of window...........and the stay broke. In my possession - about 3 hours. In working order - about zero hours.

The SSK
7th Apr 2009, 12:36
I have never owned a decently functioning pepper grinder. You only really notice how expensive pepper grinders are when you get them home and they donít work properly. Most of mine have been made by a certain French automotive giant responsible for amongst other things Le Mans race cars, you would think they had the engineering expertise to make a functioning pepper mill. Also some posh British ones, to prove that anything the French canít do, the Brits canít do either.

Actually, I think itís me, Iím jinxed. The last couple I bought had peppercorns in them in the shop and they worked just fine before I paid for them. As soon as I got them home Ė bu:mad:ered.

Howard Hughes
7th Apr 2009, 12:41
About fifteen seconds...:O

Think about it!;)

ShyTorque
7th Apr 2009, 12:49
Just got a wireless Key Boa.............

You too, eh, Ken? See post #17 :uhoh:

(I don't expect you can type a reply just yet).

OFSO
7th Apr 2009, 15:46
My second wife

OK feminists, "owned" isn't the right word here I know, but I couldn't resist......

...which come to think of it, was also the cause of the original problem....

OFSO
7th Apr 2009, 15:49
AirfoilMod wrote: I was only 3 foot tall when I owned my first Hairbrush. Is that the Shortest? May I have Pie?

Depends, AFM, on how tall you are now. Mohick'an haircuts don't count.....

vonbag
7th Apr 2009, 16:26
Ach, once upon a time I ordered the "Sea Monkeys", from a magazine ad. :ugh:
They were advertised in a nice way, as very active little crustaceans with a face that resembled a human; it said you could domesticate them and they could live in a glass of water. As a child the idea appealed me very much (maybe I could have also conducted a few nasty experiments on it ...ihihihih)
Upon receipt, unfortunately, I had to throw everything away, they were seemingly all dead and stank bad :{

CityofFlight
7th Apr 2009, 17:07
About fifteen seconds...http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Think about it!;)

HH...shirley you last longer than that? ;):p

V2-OMG!
7th Apr 2009, 18:21
What is The Shortest You Have Owned a Daily Use Item?
About fifteen seconds...http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Think about it!http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Who owns "it" after that?

Or do you just offer it for lease? Is that by the hour, day....... or fifteen seconds?

Blues&twos
7th Apr 2009, 18:29
Quote:
my Renault Scenic.

That there was your mistake straight away. Karma that is. The Gods were saying 'Buy a proper car'.

That was my thought corsair. So then I got a blue Scenic instead....

OFSO
7th Apr 2009, 18:55
Ah vonbag, when you wrote

once upon a time I ordered the "Sea Monkeys", from a magazine ad

by golly you opened the gates of memory ! Does anyone else remember the seebackroscope (with which one could see behind one) or the x-ray glasses (with which one could see through girl's skirts) ? Collect six box-tops and send them with a postal order and a stamped addressed envelope to.......

then the weeks of anticipation before the envelope arrived, and then...and then....

and then we were back on thread as the objects failed to live up to expectations.....

frostbite
7th Apr 2009, 21:17
Didn't the seebackroscope come from K-Tel?

hellsbrink
7th Apr 2009, 21:18
Nobody mentioned a condom yet?

My, my, my, this place is losing it's touch

SyllogismCheck
7th Apr 2009, 21:33
SSK, A Cole & Mason pepper mill is what you need. Not expensive, not flash but work well. Most also allow you to adjust how finely or coarsely ground you'd like your pepper by twiddling the grinding plate on the bottom.

hellsbrink
7th Apr 2009, 22:52
Totally agree, SC, a lot of the time "cheap and cheerful" works better than "expensive and flash".

One has a pepper mill that is approximately 40 years old and it hasn't missed a beat. They don't make them like they used to.