PDA

View Full Version : Net firms start storing user data (e-mail, phone calls etc)...

quant
6th Apr 2009, 16:27
I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this but it's another example of Labour infringing our civil liberties. :8:yuk:

Details of user e-mails and net phone calls will be stored by internet service providers (ISPs) from Monday under an EU directive.BBC NEWS | Technology | Net firms start storing user data (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7985339.stm)

no doubt someone will respond to this post by adding "well i have nothing to hide!" - neither have i but this is ridiculous and it must stop :=

Jimmy Macintosh
6th Apr 2009, 21:45
I wonder if this type of directive will produce a new breed of Luddites.

CATIII-NDB
6th Apr 2009, 22:53
Just an intrrusion into my little habits - I will face Treason for Googling Winie the Pooh. - Ah the freedom of Old East Germany - Stazi Welcomen back to your natural home of long term ecomomic stability. -

CAT III

Wod
7th Apr 2009, 00:02
I thought "Check the phone company records" had been around since Dixon of Dock Green.

Isn't this just an extension of the same thing to internet and cell-phone connections?

gingernut
7th Apr 2009, 00:09
I wish that I could trust the authorites with my information.

But I can't.

hellsbrink
7th Apr 2009, 05:27
Isn't this just an extension of the same thing to internet and cell-phone connections?

To an extent, it is. But the worst part of the "extension of power" is that it isn't just police investigating a crime that have the ability to look through your details, but councils as well. But what else do you expect from a gov that allows councils to use anti-terror legislation to look for people not picking up their dog's poop.

It's a frightening thought that so many people can get their hands on so much information about you on the flimsiest of excuses, isn't it, especially when it means that anyone you contact in any way could be put under some sort of surveillance because you didn't clean up behind your dog........

Wod
7th Apr 2009, 07:33
But the worst part of the "extension of power" is that it isn't just police investigating a crime that have the ability to look through your details, but councils as well.

Now I'm concerned, but not greatly. The capacity of local council to tie its collective shoe laces is suspect, let alone intelligently analyse my desire to ring my sister-in-law when my wife is visiting her for a few days.

Had a local council in another city which delighted in putting up posters saying "We support Australia Day". I used to bait my local councillor over a beer with the thought that not only had I thought that I could take that for granted, but I was paying for this public statement of the bleeding obvious. Not sure that he ever quite got the point.

hellsbrink
7th Apr 2009, 08:28
This is the thing though, Wod, all it needs is someone who is under some sort of surveillance dialling a wrong phone number, getting you, and then YOU are under surveillance as well. Add in someone getting an email address wrong, spammers sending you all sorts of things, etc, and you are suddenly monitored, along with anyone and everyone you contact by fax/phone/email and everyone they contact, despite doing absolutely nothing wrong. Now that is a hell of a lot of people, potentially most of the country, being monitored for absolutely no reason. You still only slightly concerned?

And people wonder why I left the UK, this is the lot who want to monitor all your contacts on things like Facebook, after all. No intrusion is too small for them, and