PDA

View Full Version : MMA in 1960s - Elizabeth Foster's Photographs

Pedota
6th Apr 2009, 07:36
I was visiting Perth last weekend and happened to see a wonderful article in the ‘WestWeekend Magazine’ written by Geoffrey Thomas about the former MMA ‘hostess’ Elizabeth Foster and her wonderful collection of photographs and stories of flying in DC-3 (and F-27) aircraft in the north west of WA in the 1950s and 60s.

Unfortunately I cannot find the article ‘on line’ and thus cannot provide the link, but it is definitely worth a look and read if someone has access. Her photographs are simply stunning.

And as it happens I have a person connection to the story and I would like to get in touch with Geoffrey Thomas and/or Elizabeth Foster.

I first got the aviation bug when as a 10 year old I flew on a MMA DC-3 from Perth to Port Hedland in 1961 (via Geraldton, Carnarvon, Onslow, Mardie and Roebourne). It took all day and when we arrived there were two pilots, a hostess and me! And I stood in the cockpit for most of the latter take-offs and landings.

As it happens I have a photograph taken at the time which I suspect was snapped by Elizabeth Foster. She was clearly interested in photography and could see that I was too – we chatted about different shots and landscapes. She took a shot of me standing on the ‘airstair’ of VH-MMA.

Can anyone let me know how to get in touch with Geoffrey Thomas as I would like to send at copy of the photo to Elizabeth. And if you are already a member of Pprune Geoffrey, please send me a private email or PM.

Many thanks

Pedota