PDA

View Full Version : Information on X-country trip (Driving)

Ixixly
6th Apr 2009, 07:23
Hi all,

I'm currently started planning a trip starting from Brisbane, Qld out to Broome, WA in search of that ever elusive first job!

My current plan takes me via the following route:

Day 1
Brisbane - Tyrconnel (Fuel Stop)
Tyrconnel - Longreach (Fuel & Overnight)

Day 2
Longreach - Cloncurry (Fuel Stop)
Cloncurry - Barkly Roadhouse (Fuel & Overnight)

Day 3
Barkly Roadhouse - Dunmarra Roadhouse (Fuel Stop)
Dunmarra Roadhouse - Kununurra (Fuel & Overnight)

Day 4
Kununurra - Halls Creek (Fuel Stop)
Halls Creek - Derby (Fuel & Overnight Stop)

Day 5
Derby - Broome (Stop)

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9536/maph.gif

With the overnight stops i'm looking for some information and opinions on places to stay over night, not too worried about rooms, so i'm happy to camp if necessary or to save a few bucks! I'm also wondering about fuel prices out in those places, i've done some research on the net on average prices and such, but i'd like some extra info to compare to and get a good idea so i can plan out a bit better!! Any tips, info, etc... that could help in regards to fuel, accom and possibly jobs along the way would be much appreciated!! Thanks.

Ozzie Mozzie
6th Apr 2009, 08:18
I look forward to doing this when I finish my training (a long way off). Best of luck finding a job mate.

morno
6th Apr 2009, 09:29
May I suggest, only put in enough at Cloncurry to get to Mount Isa, and then fill up there. Cheaper!

morno

Ixixly
6th Apr 2009, 09:37
Yeah, i've planned on probably keeping a 20L jerry can with me to fill up when I can cheap.

Thats pretty much what i'm trying to find out here are the places that people can tell me are going to be best to avoid if possible in terms of paying an arm and only have to pay a couple of fingers!

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Apr 2009, 09:43
Brisbane - Tyrconnel (Fuel Stop)

Geez - I am lost already!

Where the frigging hell is Tyrconnel??

Dr :8

Ixixly
6th Apr 2009, 09:47
Tyrconnel sits almost dead smack between Charleville and Roma!

FourBalls
6th Apr 2009, 10:03
Have driven the Warrego once or twice but have never been through Tyrconnel. Google earth tells me it's off the beaten track. Just get fuel in Roma or Morven. If you're coming from brisneyland, Roma is about 5 hours. Lunch at KFC:ok:.
I don't recommend Morven - LRE after dark unless you are in a truck with plenty of steel up front.

BN - LRE is a big day. Have done it in 12hours illegally years ago. The cops are a tad meaner these days.

Enjoy the trip. Stay a bit longer in Kuntaburra. Might save you a trip deeper into wawa land

NZScion
6th Apr 2009, 10:19
The Barkly Wayside Inn also isn't the cheapest place for fuel (they have to generate their own power). I'd suggest filling up at Camooweal and again at Three Ways.

Lasiorhinus
6th Apr 2009, 10:46
Derby is SO close to Broome that its not worth a night stop. (unless you REALLY like mudcrabs)

Take a swag with you - sit it in the boot of your car, and you just unroll it when you get to where you're going. Sets up in seconds, unlike a tent, and will be of use to you even in Broome, when you spend your first few weeks camping on some other pilot's floor. (Actually, stay at the Kimberley Klub.)

OK, How about this for a route:

Day 1: Brisbane to Roma. Roma is 475km away, and if this is your first long drive, you really won't want to go much further than that on your first day. Also, you won't be able to leave Brisbane as early as you plan to - you will be delayed, even if its just for one last cup of tea with the family.
Take it easy for the first couple of days, until you get used to the long driving.

Day 2: Roma to Longreach. Its about seven hours, almost exactly 700km, and if you get there in time, you can have a look at the Qantas museum. You can gradually build up the amount of driving you do in one day.

Day 3: Longreach to Barkly Roadhouse. This is almost 1100km, but on the western side of Longreach, you can easily sit on 110 the whole way, and by this stage, you'll be very used to driving. Fill up with as much fuel as your vehicle can carry in Mt Isa. The Barkly Roadhouse has good value hearty meals available, and you can camp for next to nothing. Dont forget to change your watch back 30 minutes as you enter the NT. This would be your longest drive in a day.

Day 4: Barkly Roadhouse to Katherine (Via Threeways). You save 100km by not going via the Barkly Tablelands, and the trip is about 850km. This will feel like a quicker day than the day before, which will give you time to stop at Mataranka, about an hour south of Katherine, for a swim in the hot springs.

Once at Katherine, have you considered visiting Darwin? There's a few companies there that put on green CPLs.. Darwin is just over 300 km from Katherine, so even if you do a day trip, up to YPDN, drop off your resume at a few places (Directair, Chartair, Hardys, Barrier, the usual), and head back to Katherine, you'll easily make that in one day.

Day 5: Katherine to Halls Creek. Its less than 900km, which gives you time to stop off at Kununurra to drop resumes off at Alligator and Slingair, and refuel for the rest of the drive. At Halls Creek, either unroll your swag INSIDE the grounds of the airport (PM me or any WA pilot for the gate code), (remembering to display your ASIC on the outside of your swag), or spring the cash for a room at the Kimberley Hotel. Halls Creek is not a place to sleep in the long grass.

Day 6: Halls Creek to Broome. Its about 680km if you go direct, or about 750km if you go via Derby to drop resumes.

Pre-book a room at the Kimberley Klub, but as soon as you get to Broome, head straight to Cable Beach and admire Australia's best beach.

Drop resumes at King Leos, Broome Aviation, and Broome Air Services. Also talk to Skydive Broome, (if you have 10 hours on a C182 or heavier), as everyone who works for them gets a job with the charter companies sooner or later. Avoid the other charter place there.

General Advice: Never ever pass a petrol station without filling up. When filling up, never put in E10 ethanol crap - your fuel economy will suffer for it. The only place that sells it on the other side of Longreach is Katherine, anyway.
The Chook Man at Daly Waters isnt as funny as people will tell you.
Take a LOT of museli bars and Golden Circle fruit juices. They can keep you sustained if you cant find a place to get dinner or breakfast.

When entering Broome, the police like to set up a speed trap between the first roundabout, and the town. This is likely to be the first time you encounter police since leaving Queensland, so keep to the speed limit once youve entered Broome.

Do not drive after sunset. Set off at sunrise (easy if you have a swag, because as soon as the sun hits it, youll wake up in the heat) and drive only til sunset. There are too many cows, water buffalo, and other animals out there. DO NOT DRIVE AFTER SUNSET.

morno
6th Apr 2009, 10:46
Have driven the Warrego Highway many times as well, and I have never come across Tyrconnel, :confused::confused:.

Fuel stops I would suggest:
Roma
Blackall
Longreach
Mount Isa
Barkly Wayside Inn (fuel in Camooweal is VERY pricey)
Three Ways
....and then after that I'm not that up to date with costs or anything.

Fuel stops I would avoid:
Chinchilla (more expensive than Roma, yet closer to Brisbane. Go figure)
Winton (expensive)
Cloncurry
Camooweal

But Tyrconnel, :bored:, can you take a photo of the place when you find it for us?

edit: Just looked up Tyrconnel on Google Maps, just north of Mungallala. Geez even Mungallala is a place which if you blink, you'll miss it, :}.

morno

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Apr 2009, 11:15
Good one Lasio! :D

I was going to try to inject some common sense into this thread - but had to go wash the boat!

Brisbane to Longreach in a day is looooong way, if you are not current on long distance country driving.

Dr :8

PS: DO NOT DRIVE AFTER DARK! Hitting a roo will probably wreck your car - hitting a cow or horse may well kill you!

Ixixly
6th Apr 2009, 11:45
Well alrighty, I guess you picked it, I put in Tyrconnel as a test to see who could spot it doesn't fit!! Congrats to all who found it, i'll have your certificates sent immediately... Honestly though, I think i've been lied to by whereis.com!!

This is a general plan and I really appreciate your input Lasiorhinus, I'm still obviously putting this together which is why i'm looking for input from you lovely folk!

I'm not exactly foreign to driving long distances in a day, but nothing quite as long as i'm currently suggesting so its good to hear some other options!

Keep it coming folks, I really appreciate the input from those in the know!

Capt Claret
6th Apr 2009, 12:00
Ixixly

What sort of vehicle are you driving?

From your info, you couldn't have picked more expensive fuel stops if you tried.

Barkly Roadhouse and Three Ways and Dunmarra are all expensive. Tenant Ck is 10 to 20 c/litre cheaper than Three Ways, but 25km each way from/to Three Ways.

Cloncurry, Isa, Tenant Ck, Katherine.

The route you've shown from Dunmarra to Kununurra is best tackled in a 4wd.