PDA

View Full Version : Skytraxs Airline of the Year Awards

Pedota
6th Apr 2009, 06:43
This makes an interesting read - no European, North/South American or African airlines get a mention. Full text version at Cathay Pacific named world's best airline at Skytrax awards (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/worlds-best-airline-named-at-annual-awards-20090406-9u2f.html)

And summary list is:

Airline of the Year 2009

1. Cathay Pacific

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Asiana Airlines

4. Qatar Airways

5. Emirates

6. Qantas

7. Etihad Airways

8. Air New Zealand

9. Malaysia Airlines

10. Thai Airways

Best cabin staff

1. Malaysia Airlines

2. Asiana Airlines

3. Thai Airways

4. Singapore Airlines

5. Cathay Pacific

Best in-flight entertainment

1. Emirates

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Virgin Atlantic

4. Cathay Pacific

5. Qatar Airways

Best first class

1. Singapore Airlines

2. Emirates

3. Qatar Airways

4. Cathay Pacific

5. Thai Airways

Best business class

1. Etihad Airways

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Virgin Atlantic

4. British Airways

5. Air New Zealand

Best economy class

1. Qatar Airways

2. Asiana Airlines

3. Air New Zealand

4. Singapore Airlines

5. Malaysia Airlines

blow.n.gasket
6th Apr 2009, 07:25
The all important question
Is JetStar still the worlds best LCC?:ooh:

Selfloading
6th Apr 2009, 08:03
Is JetStar still the worlds best LCC?:ooh:

Nope, 4th Airasia is the worlds best LCC :ok:

Aussie
6th Apr 2009, 08:36
Qantas has done well to get number 6.... everytime i fly with them the IFE doesnt work!

ditch handle
6th Apr 2009, 09:03
Yes. The airline was one of the last major long haul carriers to bite the bullet and commit to installing individual interactive inflight entertainment.

Despite being in a position to avoid the mistakes of other carriers they still went ahead and bought the wrong [read untried] system.:rolleyes:

Chronic IFE failures place considerable stress on the crew who deal face to face with aggrieved passengers.

The official "management" position is that they aren't going to spend a cent fixing the problems as the 400s [that have this system] have a limited life span.:ugh:

Pedota
6th Apr 2009, 10:10
Ditch Handle

I came home from Perth on a QF 767 the other evening and had seats J and K to myself. The audio system in both seats were faulty and the 'projected' image was out of focus and unreadable. A small screen in the distance was viewable. I politely told the CSM as she walked by and she said that she was sick of the problems not being fixed.

And I've done the same flight twice in three weeks and flew on the same A330 both times . . . and the same IFE screen was still faulty.

But then . . . most of the aircraft left only about 20 minutes late in all instances and they got me to my destination safely, so the important things were achieved.

Cheers

Pedota

ditch handle
6th Apr 2009, 10:50
Pedota,

yes the 767s are looking tired and like the 400s don't seem to get much in the way of engineering support beyond that required to keep them safely flying.

In many instances passenger comfort items [to which you refer] go for literally weeks without fixes. The same goes for items that impact on the work load of crew like inop ovens, coffee makers, galley chillers and the like.

We make do, apologize and do the best we can but it is disheartening for staff to see the airline and it's equipment in such poor state of repair.
More so perhaps for those like myself who've been around a few years and know that things weren't always this way.

Management are the only ones with the ability to change this situation but in reality don't care.

For them it's all and only about money.

ACMS
6th Apr 2009, 10:52
So here at CX we DON'T get 1/ best first class, 2/ best Business class, 3/ best Economy class 4/ best IFE and 5/ best cabin staff. YET we still win Best Airline!!!!

Funny.

I heard Swire ( or CX ) own Skytrax anyway.

blow.n.gasket
6th Apr 2009, 21:55
So Selfloading,
when do you think JetStar will stop pushing the advertisments that all loudly proclaim they are the world's best?
Or was their's an award won in perpetuity?:bored:

Transition Layer
6th Apr 2009, 22:38
Is JetStar still the worlds best LCC?

From the article...

"In the southern hemisphere, Qantas was named best airline Australasia with the best low cost airline Australasia award going to Jetstar."

Best LCC in Australasia isn't a huge achievement...Virgin and Tiger are really the only competition.

dodgybrothers
6th Apr 2009, 23:37
and that says what for qantas??!!

plainmaker
6th Apr 2009, 23:59
QF gets a guernsey as No.6 in the world, but has NO mention in any of the categories - cabin crew, IFE, P, J or Y. :=

NZ gets mentioned in two categories - J and Y, yet QF get the 'best Australasian carrier'.

Defies (to this old fart) rationality. I just have to wonder how objective Skytrax is, and are the results weighted to reflect passengers carried/votes made?.

Will it affect my choice of carrier? No - I have been amused / abused by almost all of them, and I know which torture I will revisit, Skytrax or no Skytrax.

Plainmaker

pill
7th Apr 2009, 00:58
It's crap. I'm not interested in cx's light weight regional j class product at id 90 rates. I'm told full fare punters hate it more than I do. I wonder if they awarded swire shipping " Best east coast of australia shipping line" last month as well.

Capt_SNAFU
7th Apr 2009, 03:11
How does SQ not get it (i fly for the rat BTW)

no. 3 in cabin staff

2 in IFE

1 in 1st Class

2 in business

4 in cattle

CX not many places to be seen in the list. Seems like the airport is making a huge difference.

stubby jumbo
7th Apr 2009, 03:51
Whats the bet that Il Duce will attempt to spin this result as a typo.

Watch for the announcement:

"Our people have been in contact with Skytrax and we believe that there has been an error in the results summary. Due to a similarity of names :
QATAR vs QANTAS
We feel that the respondents misread the survey......Therefore we advise that for the credibilty of this survey please insert :
QANTAS for QATAR."

ANNOUNCEMENT;

QANTAS COMES 4TH IN SKYTRAX AWARD AND WINS BEST AIRLINE FOR ECONOMY.

.............ahhhhhhhh that better

Now, AJ .....what about that bonus ???:=:=

Capt Kremin
7th Apr 2009, 05:11
Does anyone here read Skytrax, or for that matter even clapped their eyes on a copy?!!!?

This is the same BS magazine that GD kept quoting when he was trying to quell the rising tide of complaints about QF.