PDA

View Full Version : What do the best types on this site keep in their garage?

Ancient Observer
5th Apr 2009, 22:56
Inspired by a comment on another thread - about the curatorship of his garage, and greatly concerned due to a bad mistake on my part, I wondered what people keep in their garage and how well they keep it? Is it as delightfully kept as the new covered in bit of the British Museum, or is it a dump? Is it carefully recorded, or is it "seek, and with lots of luck ye might find?"
My tragic error was to decide to tidy mine up - a bit too much. My trusty car ramps - used for 1954 Morris split windscreen, (with 1275 lump and stage 3 head, and an improbable desire to eat half-shafts) - and used for 1967 Lotus Elan, (with nicely spiked up engine) and for various cars since had become redundant as Mr Ford and Mr BMW put increasingly complex things in their cars that were beyond my BA in Sociology.
So, the tidy up included the ramps going to the local tip - along with various other things that I will soon find to be indispensable.
The ramps would have saved me many bucks due to daughter moving to Reading. Reading has road humps that are designed to take out either the front or the back of your car.
The humps don't mind which they get - but they will get one or the other.
So, what's in your garage????. The moral of my tale is don't throw it away!!!

Radar66
5th Apr 2009, 23:03
The moral of my tale is don't throw it away!!!

oops! :\ but we HAD to! to make room! just ask anybody here who has seen the interior of our garage - eh Westie?!

Sprogget
5th Apr 2009, 23:09
How do you keep your garage? What's in the kitchen that you've used for twenty years? What are you doing to the house this spring? Jesus wept (also a thread) what's going on here? Where's the 'I was out last night, got annhiliated & caught a couple of sloshpots & smashed it up til 7 this morning' thread?

This place is turning into women's weekly:E

SpringHeeledJack
5th Apr 2009, 23:09
These are a few of the vehicles that I keep in mine. I know, I know, I should keep them in a better state....

Barnfinds Portugal (http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm)

regards

SHJ

con-pilot
5th Apr 2009, 23:10
You really don't want to know, seriously, you really don't want to know. :uhoh:

(My wife has never thrown anything away, ever. :()

G-CPTN
5th Apr 2009, 23:15
An auction of sought-after vintage cars which were found rusting in a Norfolk barnyard has raised 26,500.
More at:- BBC NEWS | UK | England | Norfolk | Vintage cars discovered in barns (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/7940372.stm)
and:- BBC NEWS | UK | England | Norfolk | Vintage cars go under the hammer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/7984206.stm)

henry crun
6th Apr 2009, 00:03
What do I keep in my garage ? anything and everything that I cannot find an immediate use for.

Never, ever, throw anything away.

Havana
6th Apr 2009, 00:18
Aside from a lot of half full paint cans, bits and pieces of various old machines, dust, spiderswebs and the like. There is a 4.2 E Type Jag somewhere. Hopefully it shall be unearthed within the next few weeks and ready for the summer.

H

galaxy flyer
6th Apr 2009, 00:23
First thing in ours is-----two cars. Everything else fits around 'em. Fertilizer, birdseed, a bicycle, ladders, tools, a little firewood, a work table, a hose reel, etc. BUT, first the cars fit. I cannot understand how people spend a pile of money for a garage then, their cars stay outside in the snow, rain and frost.

GF

con-pilot
6th Apr 2009, 00:33
I cannot understand how people spend a pile of money for a garage then, their cars stay outside in the snow, rain and frost.

You've never met Suzi have you?

Chesty Morgan
6th Apr 2009, 00:33
An old, worn, very comfortable armchair. A fridge full of beer. An ashtray. Power tools.

Heaven.

er340790
6th Apr 2009, 01:40
AHA! Just this minute completed the Spring (still two feet of standing snow but we live in hope) move-around from Winter to Summer toys, so here goes....

Argo Bigfoot 6-wheeler.
Murray 6hp Go-Kart.
Berg 2 seater Go-Kart.
Snowbear 8x4 trailer.
Yamaha V-Max 600 XT snowmachine.
Yamaha Bravo 250cc snowmachine.
Skidoo Mini-Z snowmachine.
Upper Canada canoe.
2 x sit-on kayaks.
Paddle-boat.
8'x8' floating dock.
4 x push-bikes.
Craftsman lawntractor + push mowers.
Honda 3kW portable generator.
Yardworks 10.5hp 30" snowthrower.
Two SUVs.
Elec Log splitter / chainsaws / tools / garden equpt.

This being a Canadian (XXXL) garage, never thought I'd fill the place when I moved from (XXXS) Europe in 2004, but after 5 years it's finally happened. Now need to build a big-shed behind the house.

And in 5 months time it all shifts around again.....:ouch:

Atlas Shrugged
6th Apr 2009, 04:51
My 84 year old father has kept every single box from every single appliance he has bought.........just in case it ever need to go back for repair! :ugh:

V2-OMG!
6th Apr 2009, 06:38
Ummm......a local movie prop house had a garage sale and I went kinda crazy. I love "wacky" things, but the garage is now filled to the rafters with.....

- a purple iridescent naugahyde bar complete with stools that looks like it came right out of a Vegas 'ho house.

- two 9' fake palm trees.

- an alien pod from a science fiction shoot. I thought I would either use it as my casket, or turn it into a planter. Haven't decided which yet.

- a 100' by 100' roll of artificial turf. I want to dig up the real lawn and put this down so I will never have to cut the grass again. A Spring project!

- a plastic kidney-shaped artificial pond. (now the dog's bathtub).

- yards and yards of assorted fabric. I don't even know how to sew, but I couldn't resist. Some of it is a luxurious brocade. My new dining-room drapes?

- a coffee table which was from a movie starring Richard Gere. I don't know if this is true or not, but just the thought that Richard Gere might have put his feet on it was good enough for me.

- there's more.....but I'd need a couple more pages, so I'll end it here.

Radar66
6th Apr 2009, 09:35
American are we? :hmm:

;) (Hark ye to reference the ancient rules of Jet Blast.)

Ace Rimmer
6th Apr 2009, 09:43
A lot less than there used to be after this weekend's uber clear out. Looking disturbingly tidy in there...won't last...

vonbag
6th Apr 2009, 09:58
Among else, some hundred kilos of auction catalogues, old magazines, my old copybooks and school books, old clothes, all kept in old pieces of furniture, 2 sewing machines, cork, a few bottles of wine, wood for the fireplace, old batteries, lots of mech. tools, 2 scales, my fishing tools & equip., my kayak, 5 bycicles, two RC A/C (w/o engine & RC units, kept in different place) hanging from the ceiling, a car (VW), one motorcycle w/o number plate (Laverda).....and an "Ironside"'s wheel chair with spares, just in case.

Fliegenmong
6th Apr 2009, 09:59
All manner of items, fridge with wine very important :E, disinfectant so that any new project begins with a surgical cleanliness, (and I'm a clean freak:p)short wave radio, crash comics from the 70's onwards,....parts from an exploded APU, WTF I keep it for I don't know...golf clubs, mowers, whipper snippers, rope, tools, something to do out there almost always.....love my garage....or to be more precise really it's 'the shed'.

Australian men love their sheds, there are beer ads about sheds, I've even seen a coffee table book about Australian mens sheds, cars remain in car port in front of house.

A guy up the road, Mrs Fliegs has been friends with his wife for many a year has a shed Larger than Chateau Fliegen itself :eek:, that shed contains enough building material to build another house, boats (yes plural), a bedroom (sorta) bathroom, games room, complete with its own bar and pinball machines, video games and signed sporting memorabillia (Beckham Real Madrid jersey etc),........you don't want to even know about the house....or the block of land it sits on.............He ain't air minded though, which is a shame, because then he really would have some nice toys... :{:8

west lakes
6th Apr 2009, 10:43
just ask anybody here who has seen the interior of our garage - eh Westie

It had the look of a goldmine of all sorts of useful bits & a collection of imported boxes and bags (probably full of shoes):\

As for mine about 1/3rd of it is full of speakers, amplifiers, cd players, tape decks, mixers and effects lighting.

The rest is a mystery but the spring cleanout is about due!

1DC
6th Apr 2009, 10:51
Just spent the last few months clearing out our garage pending a move, Started out by saying must keep this etc., until i realised very little would go so i bit the bullet and cleared it all out.The place looks pretty empty now and i am sure that i am going to regret it..

west lakes
6th Apr 2009, 11:03
The place looks pretty empty now and i am sure that i am going to regret it..

Give it a few months it'll be full again - mine usually is

Ripline
6th Apr 2009, 11:29
Curation of the Garage Collection.... I think that was my thread-drift on the heating for cars thread. What have I started?!

The main problem for modern houses in the UK is the stupidly small size that they come in. We have an odd arrangement, being a small corner plot with a detatched house, detached garage which is actually itself semi-detached from the end-of-terrace properties forming the rest of the street. When I used to have an XJS, I discovered that it could fit in the garage, but would fill it side-to-side and end-to end, leaving no room for the 350 Triumph Speed Twin, the canoe, the 16 cu ft. freezer and the work bench. Compromise came early to the Ripline household.

Now the vehicle is a Landrover, all the above applies, but since it won't fit in on height either I've had to get rid of the 350 and the canoe for one of the hot air balloons to fit in. The other one lives in the trailer outside. A portable generator , air compressor and the Paint Tin Collection takes up the rest of the space. Mrs. Ripline has taken to sneaking in her junk on the bench on the ground that it's so untidy I won't notice the additions, but she's wrong, oh so wrong.....:E

Ripline

Standard Noise
6th Apr 2009, 11:43
It's a tandem garage and it contains more than the wife wants me to keep in it, more than I can remember and more than I want to think about but I know that if I throw stuff away one week, the next week I'll need it, so in the garage it stays.

I'll end up as one of those sad old men they film documentaries about, living in a house full of stuff that's been hitherto useless muttering 'I'll need it all one day, I'm 93 don't you know, it's all my stuff the council can't have it!'

Dushan
6th Apr 2009, 12:55
- two 9' fake palm trees.

If you ever want to get rid of them, contact Con-pilot

woollcott
6th Apr 2009, 13:04
Got a 1930 vintage car and a matching 1930 vintage bike............

BUT!!! I am now looking for a vintage aircraft engine - anyone out there have one in the shed they are not using? Or alternatively, any leads for me?
A slab of Oz's finest lager to anyone who can put me onto a successful
lead.......

And by the way none of that inverted Gypsy rubbish thanks........

ShyTorque
6th Apr 2009, 13:59
Five assorted motorcycles, none of them on the roadworthy list.

They're "future projects", you understand.

The one bike that could be put on the road later this year is behind the car that can't be moved off its ramps because the engine isn't secured..... you get my drift, another project.

The rest of the garage is full of car wheels, a car exhaust, a supercharger, a cylinder head (all for a type of car that I have never owned), my son's fishing gear, a large office table and a filing cabinet, a few office chairs and junk belonging to other folk around here.

This means I can't get to the car project so I can't get to the bikes either..... one job means doing three or four other jobs first.

So I'm here typing stuff instead. :ugh:

oct2pus
6th Apr 2009, 16:33
A McClaren..... unfortunately it's a twin baby buggy and not a car...:ok:

GROUNDHOG
6th Apr 2009, 16:35
A Ford Anglia based Rickman Ranger ( cross between a postman pat van and a small jeep) and its coming out this weekend to do the Lands End Trial which involves about 200 mostly old blokes and blokesses in classic cars and motorbikes trying to drive up usually muddy slopes across South West England that you can barely walk up. Start time 23.35 on 09th and finish 17.19 on 10th after driving 250 miles all night. Barmy but HUGE fun ( honest) and great spectator sport if you live in the South West of England.

Roger Sofarover
6th Apr 2009, 17:44
A very good friend of mine who ..wait for it, does not have a computer or the internet (you will see why that's funny in a moment,) so I will put it on here for him, has an air conditioned environmentally controlled garage in which amongst many cars and lots of bikes he has a Jaguar XK 150, A Jaguar XK 150S and a 1964 AC Cobra 427, all in mint condition, I kid you not, and he does not have a computer or the internet:} He is auctioning all of his stuff this year. He may settle now on the AC Cobra for sensible offers in the region of $1 Mill :{I should start bloody charging him for using the internet!!

frostbite
6th Apr 2009, 17:51
Same here!

I do a lot of (obo) buying and selling of stuff that I could never afford - last purchase was a 'Pagoda Roof' Merc sports car.

iws
6th Apr 2009, 19:56
Among the pots of various types of paint that we had used back to at least three house colour schemes ago, I found 3 Enstrom Helicopter main rotor blades.
(VERY bent!)

My excuse is that they are too long to transport to the skip..............

Firestorm
6th Apr 2009, 21:26
Atlas shrugged was your father separated from my father (who is 81)? My Dad does exactly the same. And when the appliances eventually give up he packs them back into the box, and back into it's place in the garage. I don't understand why at that point they can't go to the tip... Apparently I will turn into my Dad.

TURIN
6th Apr 2009, 21:37
One of these. (http://www.delta-club-82.com/bible/531-hang-glider-delta-super.htm) and one of these. (http://www.delta-club-82.com/bible/126-hang-glider-amour.htm)

All wrapped up snug and tight in their bags as they have been since Miss Turin junior dropped in. :{:{:{:{:{:{:{

ShyTorque
6th Apr 2009, 23:31
A Ford Anglia based Rickman Ranger ( cross between a postman pat van and a small jeep) and its coming out this weekend to do the Lands End Trial which involves about 200 mostly old blokes and blokesses in classic cars and motorbikes trying to drive up usually muddy slopes across South West England that you can barely walk up. Start time 23.35 on 09th and finish 17.19 on 10th after driving 250 miles all night. Barmy but HUGE fun ( honest) and great spectator sport if you live in the South West of England.

Number 215, starting from Michael Wood at 20:45?

or 302 from Plusha? at 22:12, or even 329 at 22:39?

;) Good luck!

Flyt3est
6th Apr 2009, 23:43
I clearly haven't been in Alabama long enough.. I have a garage I could play baseball in and only my little BMW Z4 and my Punchbag (No not the ex missus, a plastic punchbag) and nowt else.. Shy send us your bikes mate, we can do a biker build off..

woollcott
7th Apr 2009, 03:43
Hi ShyTorque - just curious, but what sort of supercharger is it - and are you willing to part with it?

V2-OMG!
7th Apr 2009, 04:34
If you ever want to get rid of them, contact Con-pilot

*** Trying to find a correlation between two 9' palm trees and brussels sprouts *** :confused:

Ken Wells
7th Apr 2009, 11:16
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt35/cptkenwells/spitfire.jpg

Ancient Observer
7th Apr 2009, 11:57
If this thread had prizes, which it doesn't, Mr Wells might just have won it.
(Unless someone's got a Concorde in their garage).

I'm rather jealous of those folk reporting such huge garages in N America and Oz. Most of (But not all of) us Brits are clearly disadvantaged in this aspect of the size war.

Has anyone come up with a proper solution to the dilemma about clearing out the rubbish versus the need to keep it, as I'll need it next week/month etc?

Radar66
7th Apr 2009, 12:14
there is never a solution to that dilemma IMHO...

Best just to bite the bullet and do it. In my small experience, it's not so much the chucking out that is needed, but more of a jolly good tidying up, putting up shelves and using them, grouping relevant bits into section - ie 'garden wall', 'kitchen preserves etc wall', 'tool corner', 'storage area', etc etc.

good luck! it's hard to get started and oh so very daunting, but once you start, you'll find yourself cracking on at the rate of knots (providing you don't allow yourself to be distracted by sitting on the floor with an old photo album!) and the sense of satisfaction that is achieved when it is all done is marvelous! :)

Dushan
7th Apr 2009, 13:47
*** Trying to find a correlation between two 9' palm trees and brussels sprouts *** :confused:

Well, you won't, unless Brussels sprouts grow on your fake trees. However, a few weeks back, Con was going to some formal do and it was suggested that the best way to enjoy it was to hide behind a fake palm tree with a generous supply of Scotch.

GROUNDHOG
7th Apr 2009, 17:31
Hi ShyTorque we are no 329 from Plusha - are you doing it as well?

larssnowpharter
7th Apr 2009, 17:35
Garage is more like a 'car port' thingy under the study and just houses a couple of cars.

Yer should see the barn though!

Flyt3est
7th Apr 2009, 18:18
Hey Firestorm,

I've got your namesake (The 1000cc Honda variety) in my mates garage in Cornwall.

BabyBear
7th Apr 2009, 19:13
Your are nothing but a bunch of show offs' with this; my garage is bigger than yours! I don't have a garage to keep anything in........and I can tell you, having just a much rubbish without the garage is a bigger problem than a garage full of junk!:{

smo-kin-hole
7th Apr 2009, 19:46
.....has a comfy chair, a mini-fridge, a coffee-maker, overhead lights, a compressor, a solvent bin, 4 bicycles, two motorcycles, sundry plane bits,
satellite radio, and.....

NO WOMEN TALKING, and talking, talking talk.....help me, ahhhhhh.

.......heaven indeed!

ShyTorque
7th Apr 2009, 22:36
Woollcott,

Sorry, but nah, it's for another project....

Groundhog,

No, sadly not this year. See my earlier post about the car project on ramps..... :O

MCC sent me the programme and entry list last week though.

Whirlygig
7th Apr 2009, 23:17
Ah yes, trying to get little kit cars up ridiculously and steep and incredibly muddy slopes - enormous fun :ok: Would like the opportunity to do it again. Biggest challenge but was trying to get my Alfa GTV out of the field at the end of the day. :}

Cheers

Whirls

bnt
8th Apr 2009, 00:26
I don't have a car, but I'm interested to see how the PUMA performs:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/cars/blog/0KHQLELE444.jpg

No, it's not a joke (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123906731177395605.html), it's a collaboration between GM and Segway. :8

CityofFlight
8th Apr 2009, 00:42
I have a 3 car garage and only 1 car to park. Then, there's this little room with a door, in the far corner, near the foundation. Might need to get me a "pet".
Mwwaaaaaa! :} :E

ShyTorque
8th Apr 2009, 08:39
Biggest challenge but was trying to get my Alfa GTV out of the field at the end of the day.

Says it all, really... :E

(At least I deleted the joke about Italian cars going better in reverse)

:ok:

Rollingthunder
8th Apr 2009, 08:41
I don't have a car, but I'm interested to see how the PUMA performs

Just keep it off the pavement/sidewalk.

GROUNDHOG
8th Apr 2009, 12:37
ShyTorque, Whirlygig that's enough to make a Pprune TEAM to enter next year then!!

ShyTorque
8th Apr 2009, 19:46
Don't think Whirls' Alfa has enough ground clearance for Bluehills 2 :eek:

Flyt3est
8th Apr 2009, 19:49
Shy

When she manages to park as opposed to "abandon" and successfully leave said car park, the car doesn't have enough ground clearance to get through a puddle in one piece.. ;-)

(Yeah I know that was a cheap shot, but then I am cheap, and a damn good shot!!)

ShyTorque
8th Apr 2009, 21:30
I'm taking one big step backwards at this point..... :oh:

:p

Whirlygig
8th Apr 2009, 21:40
Fly, you're shots are as good as my parking - and you can take that whichever way you want :}

And ShyT? You obviously don't know how well I rock :ok:

Cheers

Whirls