PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Airport Viewing Park

d71146
5th Apr 2009, 20:21
I wonder if anyone can help a friend of ours recently took his son to the Manchester Airport viewing park and visited the shop that sells allsorts for aircraft spotters.
In the shop there was an HP laptop on the counter with a live program running which was showing aircraft movements around the area.Does anyone know of a similar program which would be available to download on a similar basis to this.
Thanks.

MAN777
5th Apr 2009, 20:41
The laptop in question was running a Kinetic SBS virtual radar box, the hardware comes in a modem sized box connected by USB to any windows computer, it costs about £400.

Alternatively you can download this software called planeplotter, it allows access to a website which hosts uploaded sbs data from users around the world

PlanePlotter from COAA (http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm)

The drawback to this software is that it will only show aircraft that are plotting full information, a very large portion of aircraft (military, biz jets, emb types) dont transpond lat long info so will not plot. The SBS box receives these aircraft and displays in list form.

SCANDIC
8th Apr 2009, 17:05
I think that the viewing park entrance fee is discraceful, the owners must be making a lot of money with all the tours with concorde and other events, the place needs a good tidying up and all of the areas that are stoned should be tarmac, the tax payers have paid for concorde and the viewing park.

greatoaks
8th Apr 2009, 20:41
I for one feel proud to be paying for the ludicrous white tent whilst getting covered in red crap from the car park. :D

Give me back the grass field and a couple of grass mounds

There now seems to be a lot of MAG suits racing round looking important

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Apr 2009, 18:24
Stopped going to the viewing park years ago.

For REAL spotters/enthusiasts go over to the end of R23L on a small hill overlooking the runways.

You go through the tunnel then at the roundabout take the first left and park by the fence.

Then walk upto the mound in 10 minutes.

Car is safe, Had no problems been going for years.

donnlass
9th Apr 2009, 19:02
Easy as the grass mound at the end of the runways might be, we still prefer the sausage, chips n curry sauce at the AVP.

But would still prefer if the Powers That Be would spend some more money providing cover from the elements for its loyal spotters who are the backbone of the place after all.

For all the income Concorde generates with all its Corporate visits etc, I wonder how long the AVP would stay open if all us spotters upped and shifted to the "alternative AVP" mentioned above!!!

There's only so long you can stay in the Shop or in the cafe without missing the action so how about a three sided cover for the main mound say?

And also a few more seats as well would be nice.

What do you all think?

Donnlass:hmm:

SCANDIC
9th Apr 2009, 19:23
I think that i might give the humps a try it sounds easier and a lot cheaper, they could do with a lot more seats, how much is a 6 month pass these days last time i got one it was £60. The people that work there are miserable too.

Skipness One Echo
9th Apr 2009, 19:25
Get real ! It was 100% more than most airports have these days. I agree it could be improved but I have little sympathy for those who do nought but moan.

SCANDIC
9th Apr 2009, 19:34
Anyway i ain't going there anymore cos its just a rip off.....

Slow Progress
14th Apr 2009, 14:37
I went today and I couldn't believe the £5.00 entrance fee. Full of screaming kids as well. I forgot it was the school holidays.

Also had the shock of my life when I ordered a cup of tea and the girl said

'That will be £1 please!!'

Going to go south side next time. Anyway it is a very pleasant walk.

Slow Progress

JimmyTAP
14th Apr 2009, 15:24
The spectator facilities at Manchester are second to none and we should be thankful we have them at all. Most airports do not have any comparable facilities but the increase does seem excessive and I think they may be cashing in on the popularity of the venue.
If can I'll sometimes go to the southside but parking is a problem and the fact that the adjacent runway is sometimes closed.

For REAL spotters/enthusiasts go over to the end of R23L on a small hill overlooking the runways

Really? What a strange thing to say. The thousands that were at the AVP on 14th May last year or Champions league final day in 2003 weren't REAL spotters then I suppose.:rolleyes:

Cloudrider1
14th Apr 2009, 15:30
Absolutely agree. Went down there last Friday and got the shock of a quid price hike for car + driver (now £5), AND if you have passengers they get charged too. :D Considering a high percentage of visitors are just down for an hour or so to occupy the kids I hope people will vote with their feet, especially in this economic climate. And how do they think the price reflects the changes - it hasn't changed that much.
I was sadly that insensed that I emailed MAN to see what they say.

JimmyTAP
14th Apr 2009, 15:37
If people vote with their feet, the airport will get what it wants - closure of the AVP and the loss of a great facility.

Cloudrider1
14th Apr 2009, 15:48
Exactly why I emailed them..... I love the place, just not at £5 a go. And granted as mentioned earlier, it is one of the best in the UK and a rarity, but everything has it's price and mine is £4 as my missus will testify. :)

greatoaks
14th Apr 2009, 16:03
Ive got a great idea

to help to fill the Mag coffers why not create a first floor refreshments area with a full glass wall and excellent views over the stands in T1 ,

this would attract the punters and make extra money in the car parks......................

Oh wait think ive got that wrong :D

I would love to know how much ancillary revenues are down since alienating the non-flying public

Avman
14th Apr 2009, 18:21
As far as photography (on a sunny Manchester day :eek:) is concerned, the mount(s) on the south side are good in the morning. The AVP is good in the evening during the months of May/June/July.

I didn't realise they'd put the price up to £5. That is pure greed and utterly disgraceful.

donnlass
14th Apr 2009, 21:13
Ah not meanin to moan just expressing the desire for more shelter and seats especially as my partner is disabled but also keen with the camera so being able to sit down more would be great.

Still love the place and will no doubt be there on Sunday, weather permitting, battling the crowds and since we bus and walk in two quid aint too bad.

So long as it stays there:ok::D

Happy Spotting

Donnlass

EGGP
14th Apr 2009, 21:16
I went to the AVP yesterday for the first time in a couple of years, presumably the price increase is to pay for the shiny new hangar and shop etc.

This has also resulted in the mound nearest the hangar being increased in size presumably this all had to be paid for. Judging by the full car park the price doesn't seem to have put off too many people.

Cloudrider1
15th Apr 2009, 07:48
Here's the response from MAN to the email I sent. I think I'm aloud to post this.

<snip>

Hi Nige

Sorry you feel this way. We hope that you will see the results of the £1.4M recently spent to improve all facilities at the park including parking, new toilets and visitors centre. We have also introduced a new family ticket and free entry to selected exhibits at weekends. We hope these will improve yours and your families enjoyment in the future.

Concorde Booking Office
The Aviation Viewing Park,
Sunbank Lane,
Altrincham,
WA15 8XQ.

<snip>

Ok so they had the courtesyto reply but I didn't see any new toilets, anything about family discounts, new parking or anything of note apart fom the new shop.
Maybe I'm just getting an old moaner, but I do plan to be there quite a bit in the future.

Bagso
15th Apr 2009, 08:17
The problem is that there are two types of visitor but only one price on the day !

Most of the regulars down there just want to call in for an hour or two, watch some movements, have a cup of tea, a chat and then go home , quite frankly they are not interested in the new infrastructure eg Concorde Tours etc.

The new facilities and improvements are aimed at the family day day tripper, the idly curious who think "lets go to Chester Zoo or Oulton Towers" and on "that" comparison it' is a cheap day out !

If they kept season tickets at reasonable prices (£60) that would solve the problem, but sadly rumours suggest these may be hiked by £30!

Rumours suggest that when the snack bar closes it will re-open in the cafe adjacent to Concorde but I guess realistically food prices will again need to go up again to meets costs of this as well.

Slow Progress
15th Apr 2009, 13:40
Even if they do move the snack bar I can't see how they can justify hiking food prices again. The food is really expensive for what you get and I can see them putting themselves out of business if they do. I am sorry but £1 for a small cup of tea is ridiculous.:*

Do you have to pay more money to actually get into the concorde hangar for a walk around?

Slow Progress

Cloudrider1
16th Apr 2009, 18:20
Well I emailed back and got another reply. Fairplay, at least they seem to take feedback and want to be seen to help...

Thank you for the emails and the feedback, all of which is welcome good or bad. I've seen some of the comments on the forums but interestingly enough, yours is one of only two communications that have come directly into the office !

As Paul mentioned there has been a lot of investment into the park. Obviously there's a new hangar and visitor centre and a newly paved and extended viewing mound. The visitor centre is always open to the public and whilst it currently contains only information panels, we will be adding exhibits over the coming months. There are new toilets in the visitor centre. They were open over the holiday weekend and we will continue to open them at busy times. The existing toilet block will be refurbished shortly.

There is a new shop. A brand new covered takeaway will be opening in the next few weeks. The restaurant will be opening in May. There will be new catering choices as well as the tried and tested favourites. Rick and Arthur who currently operate catering on the park are concessionaires of the new restaurant and takeaway and I'm sure they can be relied upon to give the same outstanding value as they currently do to their customers.

We are trying to inprove public access to the park. You may have noticed that there is now a daily bus service operating every 30 minutes between the AVP, cargo centre and airport bus station. This is being subsidised by the airport and will run throughout the year.

At weekends and public holidays there will now be an aircraft open without charge. We had both Trident and the RJX open over the Easter holiday and we will be continuing with this policy throughout the year.

Whilst admission charges have increased, a family ticket is now available at £8. Regular visitors still have the option of season tickets which offer excellent value and we are looking at internet booking ahead of your visit with a discounted price, as is currently on offer at the airport.

Please don't think we take anyone's patronage for granted. We believe the AVP still offers excellent value and we will be doing all we can over the coming months to make it a safe, pleasant and appealing place for families and enthusiasts alike. As I mentioned at the beginning of this email, we are aware of the comments on the forums. The Visitor Centre is open seven days a week. We like to talk to people ! Please come in and if you have any concerns, anything you don't think is being addressed properly, any suggestions for improvements, come in and tell us !

Thanks again for the email.

Avman
16th Apr 2009, 18:46
My opinion is that this is a pretty bog standard and typical propaganda BS response for what is in fact nothing less than pure greed. I continue to maintain that in today's economical climate £5 a throw is outrageous.

Skipness One Echo
16th Apr 2009, 23:40
How do we suggest we pay for the upkeep of the Trident and the only RJX? There's not a LOT of them left you know....

mickyman
17th Apr 2009, 05:39
Slow/Avman

As usual I find myself in the position of actually wanting
to pay somebody a few extra quid to keep the likes of
you anoraks out of the AVP - If I was ever to visit.

It would be nice once in a while if people appreciated
what they have and didnt fill their minds with negative
vibes.........or perhaps they get through their lives by
having chips welded to their shoulders.

£1 for a cuppa tea - shocking! but you seem not to
have any problem owning a pc on which to mutter.

Have a nice day!

MM

Avman
17th Apr 2009, 10:45
mickyman, I have no idea what you are ranting on about. Could you try again, in English this time.

simonchowder
17th Apr 2009, 15:27
I cannot believe im reading this, surely no self respecting spotter buys his tea, isnt a thermos of hot tea in the knapsack every bit as de riguer as the bobbly hat , notebook and anorak?

skytrain10
17th Apr 2009, 17:12
Guys (and gals), having read through the comments here, I cannot believe that people are complaining about the cost of using the AVP.

MAN has an excellent viewing park, and offers genuinely decent opportunities for photography/spotting without being intercepted by the police every few mins. In my book its well worth the money. My local airport for 20 years was Gatwick...spotting facilities were ok while there was a viewing deck on the terminal but you had to pay to use it, and pay to park your car...but MAN is cheaper now than LGW was 15 years ago! (for those that are not aware, there are no viewing facilities whatsoever at Gatwick nowadays).

Be grateful for what you have there...it offers far better views than any official areas at other airports in the UK. And it is good to see parents taking their kids there...thats how many of us started spotting in the first place!

Ken

Avman
17th Apr 2009, 18:47
skytrain10, I fully appreciate what you're saying. But at the same time, any charge should be proportionate. I think that all things considered £5 for a single entry is a little steep. I think a figure of £3 would be more appropriate. By the way, I can't recall paying 5 quid for Gatwick's viewing area 15 years ago. Despite my rant about prices I do recognise and commend the Manchester airport authorities for providing good facilities. I just think someone's taking advantage and being a tad greedy.

BYALPHAINDIA
17th Apr 2009, 21:56
I agree, I have arrived into the AVP myself when it is sunny, Then some 10 - 20 minutes later it p*sses it down for the rest of the day!!

Any chance of a 'partial' refund?

Not a chance mate!!

Well I won't come here again - He cried!!

BYALPHAINDIA
17th Apr 2009, 21:59
I just think someone's taking advantage and being a tad greedy.

I can agree with that, For all we know, all those 5 pounds may not go anywhere near the Airport's accounts....?

skytrain10
18th Apr 2009, 08:37
Avman..perhaps I should have clarified my statement.
MAN...£5 for person/car
LGW...£1.50 or £2 if I recall to enter, plus a not inconsiderable amount to park the car at the airport (I used to stay 4-5 hrs at a stretch...it was around £8 if I recall).
I appreciate MAN is expensive if you are staying for a short period, but, if you are there for any length of time, in my book, its worth it.
The other way of looking at it, is £5 today was £1 in 1970's...I don't think anyone would have argued paying that then?
Ultimately its whether the user considers it value for money...I think it is, but there again, when I go, I stay for several hours.
Ken

One9iner
18th Apr 2009, 10:31
Surely the price should be set at an hourly rate then?

You turn up, pay a £5er, and it starts to rain, no shelter, kids in tow, what do you do? leave! Now, after 15 minutes thats a hell of a cost.

Granted, £5 could be seen as reasonable if you were there for 5 hours...

I don't know why you lot don't go to the Airport Pub at the other end where it's cheaper to park and you can get a shandy for a decent price! Fair enough, it's not a well kept pub but still?
:ok:

ManofMan
18th Apr 2009, 13:42
Hmm cant quiet believe what i am reading...yeah £5 might be a little bit expensive but the place wont pay for itslef. Without a doubt we have at Manchester one of the finest viewing facilities in Europe, the photographic possibilities during the evening are second to none from any viewing part i have ever been too.

I dont honestly think a pound for a cuppa is too much to ask, you wanna try Costa Coffee or Starbucks !!

The airport hotel is £5 to park, you get £4 back in a voucher to spend at the bar but the price of a pint is £3.70, add to this the fact that you get a fair number of locals in there whom would love nothing more than some good old fashioned fisty cuffs, or bottley cuffs etc etc, not many family pubs have 3 huge bouncers on during the day....add to this that the locals seem to take the pi$$ out of the spotters...not the best place to go.

Look around the country...LHR LGW LTN STN all have totally crap viewing facilities....then you come to Ken Dodd International, last time i was over there on the mound two chaps came over to my car and offered to help lighten the burden of the weight in my car by releaving it of my Laptop...only when i introduced them to my cricket bat did they scarper.

We have fantastic facilities in Manchester and shouldnt ever forget that...i for one would pay £ 10 to get in.

superspotter
18th Apr 2009, 14:20
Guys, I swore to myself that I would not take the bait and reply to all the negative "spotters" on this thread but bugger! You have made me!
You moan and moan about the cost of entry and the cost of a cuppa, it reminds me of an old saying:- when ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.......
Yes, we all know that a quid for a polystyrene cuppa is rather dear but if you only knew the amount of money that the airport authorities now demand from Rick and Arthur then you may think again.
Also, knowing Rick and Arthur personally, if you people only knew the investment that they have had to fork out of their own pockets to keep the franchise, let me just say that you could buy a three bedroomed semi for the price!! I can also tell you that the airport wanted to scrap the take away part of the business and make you all buy food and sit down inside to eat it, the guys had to fight very hard to keep the take away and even threatened to walk away if it was allowed to be scrapped THEN you would all have been moaning because the other tenders didnt want to feed you mere spotters!! Oh no, they were only interested in the corporate side and didnt give a t@ss about the bread and butter spotter!
And before the "well, they would'nt be doing it if they were not making money out of it" brigade chip in, yes, of course they are there to make money, they are not a registered charity but you also need to realise they may make a profit in the Summer months but they can struggle in the Winter when all you fair weather spotters stay at home!!
Anyway, I know a fair portion of you will dismiss what I have written with a casual disdain but hopefully more of you will think on.
Finally (honest!) 5 quid is an absolute bargain, I know for certain that most other spotters all over the Kingdom would be happy with half of the facilities we enjoy, by god, even the new toilets are properly heated:D

superspotter
18th Apr 2009, 14:52
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/3452131133_acd8c23f32_m.jpg
I suspect most of you would like to go back to this:sad:

L'aviateur
18th Apr 2009, 14:59
The airport hotel is £5 to park, you get £4 back in a voucher to spend at the bar but the price of a pint is £3.70, add to this the fact that you get a fair number of locals in there whom would love nothing more than some good old fashioned fisty cuffs, or bottley cuffs etc etc, not many family pubs have 3 huge bouncers on during the day....add to this that the locals seem to take the pi$$ out of the spotters...not the best place to go.

I've dropped in a few times while waiting for flights, and whilst it has a great beer garden, what is with the locals? The nearest village seemed quite a distance away, yet the regulars made me feel quite uncomfortable. That place has a lot of potential...

simonchowder
18th Apr 2009, 15:05
Sadly the nearest "village "is a awful place called wythenshawe council estate

L'aviateur
18th Apr 2009, 16:08
Sadly the nearest "village "is a awful place called wythenshawe council estate

Why do they have to drink at the 'Airport Hotel'? Maybe a fund should be setup for a locals pub for them!

simonchowder
18th Apr 2009, 16:42
They dont, theres lots of pubs in wythenshawe, however they are sadly as i recall from my time at Manchester all as bad as each other, a good friend of mine got very badly beaten in a pub called the Red Beret for the heinous crime of being in posession of a London accent, however having said that i really enjoyed living in Manchester its a great city however as is the case every where else some of the council estates are very dodgy places

mickyman
18th Apr 2009, 19:06
Superspotter

A good post but it will unfortunately fall on deaf
ears/blind eyes etc.

MM

BTNH
18th Apr 2009, 20:27
Thats true superspotter. I love the AVP and will go there even when they carge you 10 quied for car and driver.:ok:

BYALPHAINDIA
20th Apr 2009, 17:41
You want your head examined then?

take-off
20th Apr 2009, 19:36
As with everything these days , prices are going up , recession or not, and no doubt the money has to be found to pay for the shiney new tent we have covering concorde, on another note , does he airport have any say in the running of the pub or is it privately owned, if so , surprised MAG hasnt bought the place as a money spinner, surely has potention as a visitor attraction, what ever your thoughts of Mag , chances are they would make it more vistor friendly than what it is now, which is when last time i drove in car park, got viewed upon by 3 burly blokes as something they could practice with their fists on,sure it has nowt to do with me being gay like(u would know to look at me!!") :ugh::ugh::ugh:anyway thought twice about it and drove off,as did a family in a people carrier tooo ,for the occasional spotter it would make a great alternative to the AVP

ManofMan
21st Apr 2009, 12:33
From what i am told...and its only what i am told, the airport hotel is the most profitable pub owned by the "Robinsons Brewery" the chances of MAG getting their grubby little retail driven mits on it are slim to none.

The rooms are also fantastic value for anyone spotter looking to overnight at Manchester and for what you pay are a decent standard, just wish someone would tell the Chinese?Eastern lady who works behind the bar that she does not need to be such a miserable cow all of the time and the smiles are infectious some of the time.......

donnlass
21st Apr 2009, 16:05
Talking of Airport Hotel has the Guinness improved at all there?

Last time I had some there I threw it away.:yuk:

Might consider going there if its drinkable.

Happy Spotting

Donnlass

Double Hydco
23rd Apr 2009, 11:50
Operated into MAN for the first time in quite a few years the other day. The weather was glorious, and it was a weekend. How nice to vacate 23R and be greeted by several hundred happily waving people (some in deck chairs).....

Took me back to the late 70's and as a kid spending time at STN usually on a Saturday watching going's on (not that the BAA ever laid on such a good spot to spot!). Ahhh, happy days!

DH

FLCH
23rd Apr 2009, 15:30
Operated into MAN for the first time in quite a few years the other day. The weather was glorious, and it was a weekend. How nice to vacate 23R and be greeted by several hundred happily waving people (some in deck chairs).....

Took me back to the late 70's and as a kid spending time at STN usually on a Saturday watching going's on (not that the BAA ever laid on such a good spot to spot!). Ahhh, happy days!

DH

Likewise, I remember being a kid on the other side of the taxiway wanting to over "there" now I'm over here, I'll never pass an opportunity to wave at anyone that wants to do likewise !

Happy spotting :)

Bluesteve
7th May 2009, 00:31
Went last Saturday for the first time this year and was quite happy to pay a fiver - even though I could only stay til 2pm.
MAN is still the most spotter-friendly airport in the UK.

If you want something cheaper try the free facility at Gatwick where you have to queue to peer through a hole in a metal gate, or give yourself backache trying to see under it !

... and we should appreciate that right now the airport will be making plans to accommodate an influx of spotters for the Man Utd flights on 27 May, providing a relaxing and enjoyable day like previous footy events at MAN - if Chelsea or Arsenal had got through Luton/Stansted airports would be having talks with the police on how to discourage spotters from turning up, and how to prevent those who do from hanging around.....

Let's appreciate what we've got eh ?

Steve

RAF_SARGE
13th Apr 2010, 15:41
Well it was always going to happen!

New prices again. :ugh:

Cars

£3 for up to 1 hours stay
£6 for up to 2 hours stay
£9 for up to 3 hours stay
£12 for over 3 hours stay

kevlarcarl
13th Apr 2010, 16:16
Im not being funny but arnt there better ways of spending twelve quid, i mean for gods sake, once youve seen one a321 or 757 land /take off you have seen them all, its hardly edge of you seat stuff is it watching a tommy cook airbus land and trundle onto a stand:ugh:

MattGarner
13th Apr 2010, 16:44
The car prices just for the car? How much is it for each passenger then? ;o

Ringwayman
13th Apr 2010, 17:39
Why not go for the £25 ticket? Lasts for....25 visits and it's not got date restrictions I believe. Or get the 50 or 100 visit cards? Honestly, work it out for yourselves - if you normally stay more than 4 hours every time you go, on your 3rd visit you would already be well into the money-saved scenario as 2 visits per the new pricing regime is £24 i.e. pay £1 more and have a further 23 visits. Even if you went 8 times for an hour or less we're talking £24 with these prices...the season ticket cost £1 more with 17 more visits allowed! Then add in that there's no charges for passengers in the car and you can see how getting the season ticket is good value.

Mr Angry from Purley
13th Apr 2010, 18:06
Kevlarcarl
You'll note this section is called spotters corner.
You may have access to aircraft in your job but there's plenty out there that do get (in various degrees of) pleasure in seeing a A321 roll onto stand.

Yes it might be sad but it's better than loitering on street corners looking for trouble or making childish comments on web sites :\

Nick_H
13th Apr 2010, 19:56
Well here’s my 2p’s worth. If the Management of the Viewing Park are reading this I want to say thank you for making it what it is today. I visit on a regular basis with a mate and in the Summer with the family.

My little girl can run around on the grass safely and has a great time while her Dad watches the movements and her Mum watches her.

For me it’s the whole package. A few years ago my Mrs purchased me a surprise tour around Concorde but on every visit I have a look around the statics and thoroughly enjoy the whole atmosphere.

The guys in the aviation shop and the people serving the food are always pleasant. The new Concorde hanger is great.

I would happily pay £15 for what I consider to be an excellent day out. Dont get me wrong I'm not fantastically well off but how much do you pay to go to the Cinema or Pizza Hut or the Zoo etc ? If you don’t like the food prices then take your own ?

If you’re a die hard spotter who goes every weekend then as discussed earlier in the thread there are ‘better places’ that you don’t have to pay for.

I’m looking forward to my next trip.

L4key
14th Apr 2010, 18:42
Just on to the pub thing again, forget the 'orrible Airport Hotel and head down the road towards Heald Green/Styal if you're waiting for a flight to arrive and try the Tatton Arms, wonderful pint of Robbies and only 2 mins away. A lot of ground staff go in regularly and the atmosphere's always pleasant.

On a nice day you can sit out back and it's right under the flightpath, 400yds from the threshold. Ok, so you only get to see the undersides of the a/c :\ but hey, better than a crap pint and unfriendly locals in the AH.

arthur harbrow
14th Apr 2010, 19:36
Would agree with Nick H.Still a reasonable price.Most Gatwick/Heathrow spotters would love such a facility.
We should be grateful it is available.

chiglet
14th Apr 2010, 21:18
I remember the "Viewing Balcony" and Piers at Manch. Entry was a "Shilling" [5p] with a furthur 5p for each pier. When Pier C was opened there was a flat rate of 2 bob [10p] for unlimited access, good value or what?
There was a photo in Flight yonks ago of the first B747 landing at Manch, and the end of the piers looked like a bee hive with spectators climbing off the ends [yes, you "could" get on the Apron, through (unlocked) gates]
How times have changed....:{

purplehelmet
14th Apr 2010, 22:09
ahh! chiglet happy days, i use to love going on the piers as a kid,guess we were spoilt back then being able to watch all that went on so close up, :ok:p.s. check out you tube memories of manchester airport. see how many people are on the piers on the first pic. im sure there are more vids of the piers but cant find them at mo:ok:

JimmyTAP
15th Apr 2010, 09:30
Some get harmless pleasure from watching aeroplanes, any aeroplanes; whereas some seem to get pleasure from posting garbage on forums, with the clear purpose of winding others up eh Kevlarcarl?

Anyway, happy days.

http://http://www.airliners.net/photo/Balkan---Bulgarian/Tupolev-Tu-154B-1/0708116/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Balkan---Bulgarian/Tupolev-Tu-154B-1/0708116/L/)

Photos: Boeing 737-204/Adv Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Britannia-Airways/Boeing-737-204-Adv/0356430/L/)

ManofMan
15th Apr 2010, 09:52
Actually chiglet id say things have changed for the better the last thing the pros on the apron want is a bunch of clueless spotters milling about getting sucked into engines, run over and generally getting in the way ,keep the spotters where they belong, ie as far away as possible

Why oh why would you come into the spotters corner and make a post like that, can only think of two reasons.

1. For attention.
2. Your a plank.

My money is on the latter.

P.S. I am a spotter, have full ramp access at Manchester, driving pass the lot...but hey...just coz i am a spotter you must tar me with the same brush.

Like i said....Plank.

cherrylock
15th Apr 2010, 11:20
Well said manofman what rude person he is , why is it that spotters are viewed as some type of misfit by a lot of people, i mean if you told the average person you were a pilot or a aircraft engineer or air hostess etc they would generally view that as a interesting worthwhile job yet mention to the same person your a spotter and your viewd with a mixture of contempt and pity , i dont get it at all
WHY??????
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

L4key
15th Apr 2010, 13:14
He's trolling - don't rise :ok:

To be fair though I know his point about endless A320's and 737's, even I get a bit bored of them after a while!

chiglet
15th Apr 2010, 23:04
OK kevlarcarl, I'll bite
Actually chiglet id say things have changed for the better the last thing the pros on the apron want is a bunch of clueless spotters milling about getting sucked into engines, run over and generally getting in the way ,keep the spotters where they belong, ie as far away as possiblehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif
Please tell me just where I said this in my post.
BTW, I have just retired as an ATSA after 42 years. One of my jobs was as a "Runway Controller"...not a vehicle moved at Manch without my say so....:D
Spotters...ATC is full of them. Wandering around the Apron? Anyone with an Airport pass could wander to their hearts content [Didn't have "Airside" passes then]
I seem to think it was called "Awareness" and Public "Responsibility"
Addendum...
Remember the traffic lights at the 06 threshold? That the Old Wilmslow Road is now a major Taxiway
Yes things HAVE changed...but are they really worth it?

greatoaks
16th Apr 2010, 07:24
Will it be free entry to the avp today? :)

purplehelmet
16th Apr 2010, 11:05
what have you got against spotters?
if you think they are so sad why come on to a spotters forum to mock people with posts like that?

ManofMan
16th Apr 2010, 11:12
what have you got against spotters?
if you think they are so sad why come on to a spotters forum to mock people with posts like that?

As explained yesterday...coz he is a plank, with a small penis and the schools are on holiday.

purplehelmet
16th Apr 2010, 11:25
i think there is a bit more to it than that.
i dont have time to explain fully at the moment as im going away for the weekend.
but i smell a rat:ok:

Planemike
16th Apr 2010, 12:45
In that case send for a cat...............(or a terrier) !!!!

Planemike

pwalhx
16th Apr 2010, 12:45
I am not a spotter, I am someone who works in the avaiation arena with an interest in aeroplanes.

I dont frequent the AVP much now because of time, only occasionally and like others have said think many airports would be much better for a similar facility. It is not a bad price for a day out that people derive pleasure from.

My elderly mother died last year at the age of 91, regularly when I visited her at her home in Sale at weekends, when we had a nice day, I would ask would she like to go out somewhere and invariably she would say can we go the airport. I was happy to sit watch the planes land and take off and see the smile on my mothers face as she watched, cup of tea in hand. That to me was pricelass and a happy memory I will carry forever.

So thank you to all the people responsible for this facility and the services provided there, long may it carry on.

amesmj
17th Apr 2010, 09:06
Hi All, I recently saw while viewing the airport on google earth, a sign for the AVP on the other side of the airport near the fire station, so on investigation and looking at the plans for the future airport to 2030, it looks like the AVP will be on the move to the other side. This I think makes a lot of sense as you get a better view of the airport, and you have the sun behind you for photographs. Well done whoever decided that move.

JimmyTAP
17th Apr 2010, 14:55
Indeed it would be a great place for a viewing. In fact not very far from where it used to be before the new runway was built.

scarecrow450
17th Apr 2010, 20:37
coz he is a plank, with a small penis and the schools are on holiday :D:D:D nice one

MAN777
17th Apr 2010, 22:15
The south side location for the viewing park on Google is correct, it was allocated for the role years ago as the present location of the AVP was thought to be temporary, at the time all the area behind the hangars was destined to be covered in concrete for aircraft parking. Unfortunately predicted growth did not occur so the plans although not cancelled have been put on hold. In addition the airport has invested a large sum of money in the concorde visitors centre so I think its highly unlikely that the viewing park will move to the south side anytime soon.

learjet50
19th Apr 2010, 22:20
Gentlemen

Lets not this thread run away with itself

If People want to go to the AVP Let them they do no harm to anybody they enjoy taking there family to see A/C landing and Taking off no problem there.

There are more fortunate people who are employed at the Airport who have the priverledge to be able to go Airside most of whom appreciate that Spotters do exsist and always will (They do no harm to anybody in the AVP) They are happy doing what they enjoy,No Harm in that.

I Have had the fortune to work on the Airport since 1968 and have had acess to the Ramp/Apron all that time and I have seen many changes in my lifetime at the Airport I know all the ATC Guys who were intrested in Aircraft and all the Airport staff that were intrested in Aircraft.

Its like an Illness yu cant shake the Airport off but you love it.

All the years I worked at Northern Executive I never thru a wobbly with anybody on the Airport it was a You Scratch my Back etc and it worked well everbody knew everbody and we all worked together to get the job done. (Anybody remember the Xmas Parties on the South Side with David A making his Hot punch (2 Parts Avgas 1 Part Meths 2 Parts F N W)
It all went thou.

Lets stop this Silly Talk and take it There will always be spotters of many shapes/Sizes?Religions/ and make the AVP a happy Place.

Incidentally Men with Small Penis s are not all bad

1/Anything that wont fit in there Mouth inst worth Having anyhow

2/ It not the size of the Wave its the motion of the Ocean

Regards to all who know me

Monster DxxK A K A Gerry X Northern exec

purplehelmet
22nd Apr 2010, 22:01
nimrod xv231 arrived wednesday lunch time,soon to be displayed on the avp. (for those that didnt know already)

Rhys S. Negative
1st Sep 2010, 19:49
As a southerner almost devoid of any officially-sanctioned viewing areas at all my local airports I have been a fan of the AVP at Manchester and try to visit on 2 or 3 weekends during the year.

Previously the admission charge was of the order of £4 to £5 for car and driver and you could stay for as long as you liked. I was somewhat taken aback recently to find that the new scale of charges now adds up to £12 for a stay of more than 3 hours.

I'd be interested to know if such an inflation-busting price rise has put people off and perhaps resulted in less revenue - for the park itself, and also for the shop and snack bar/restaurant. I will certainly be more likely to seek out one of the "free" vantage points on my next visit to Manchester.

Rhys.

JimmyTAP
2nd Sep 2010, 21:52
I haven't been since last March and certainly not since the prices went up recently. £12 for >3 hours. I think not. I'll park somewhere around the perimeter for free. I guess they have to pay for the white elephant hangar somehow. It is a shame such a great facility has effectively priced itself out of the market for many of us.

donnlass
3rd Sep 2010, 13:07
A Dakota would be a far better exhibit than that obscenity, its awful.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Sep 2010, 14:39
I just walked in the weekend before last......

Planemike
3rd Sep 2010, 14:43
Not convenient for everyone but the Viewing Park makes no charge if you enter on foot (or with pushbike ??). A half hourly bus service passes through the Cargo Area which is about a five minute walk from the Viewing area.

One has to wonder who dreamt up the £ 12:00 charge given the straightened times we are told that we now live in. Perhaps they are trying deter people from visiting in cars?

Planemike

JimmyTAP
3rd Sep 2010, 19:15
Perhaps they are trying deter people from visiting in cars?

Well if they are, it has worked as far as I'm concerned. Visiting on foot is all very well, but not convenient for many. If you are on foot, you might as well go the southside anyway.

Planemike
3rd Sep 2010, 19:47
My opening words were "not convenient for everyone" but the option to come in on foot is there.

Paying £ 12:00 for a three hour stay will beyond what many people are prepared to pay. Convenience comes at a price !!!

Planemike

Stu666
7th Sep 2010, 11:50
As an aviation enthusiast and father of an 18-month-old boy, I have been to the viewing park a few times lately and here is my take on it:

1) £9 for three hours parking for a young family is NOT value for money. Granted, nobody is making us spend the money, but I do not want to deny my son the golden memories I myself have of my childhood.

2) The new system where you pay on exiting is ridiculous. It is no fun sitting in a hot car with a screaming kid queuing to get out. It is FAR too slow manually paying on exit and I've witnessed people getting irate. Either make people pay on entering again, or install pay machines. I can only imagine that such a system has been implemented to create maximum profit, i.e. herd 'em all in as fast as we can, then make 'em wait to get out.

3) Would it not be fairer to split the AVP into two, with a free park and view grassed area and burger van, like I imagine it was in the old days, and then have a mini theme-park type area with the aircraft on display, shop, Concorde tours, restuarant etc, that you pay to get into and park?

I admit, I do not know the ins and outs of the setup, who owns it or just how much work goes into it, but from a family viewpoint it does not seem very good value for money, and I imagine it must be getting expensive for the spotters as well. I'd take my lad every week if I could, but for now it's just going to be a "once in a blue moon" treat.

Brewster Buffalo
7th Sep 2010, 20:43
Is the increase in admission a result of the viewing park becoming an aircraft museum with the costs increasing due to the upkeep of the aircraft?

purplehelmet
7th Sep 2010, 20:57
i was over the southside today,and looking over at the avp i have to say it looked very busy again,with the kids having gone back to school i can only think that the main attraction was the a380 plus the added fact there were two on the apron at the same time. other than that with the summer season coming to a close the airport seemed rather quite.
so i wonder in the next few months when the weather turns colder and wetter and everyone's seen the a380 umteen times and we revert back to the winter schedule will the avp reduce the price of admisson?
because i cant see many people paying £12 to watch the usual suspects at those prices.

L'aviateur
8th Sep 2010, 09:03
If you want to see a great viewing platform, check out Hamburg Airport, above the departures. Outside terraces with binoculars, restaurant, shops and no entry charge.

Hotel Tango
8th Sep 2010, 09:10
Not only Hamburg. Germany has some of the best facilities in Europe. It may cost a couple of quid but it's well worth it for the views. Dusseldorf has two terraces. One on the main terminal and another, with even more outstanding views, at the mainline airport railway station.

mark.kelly256
11th May 2011, 12:41
I must say that the AVP @ Manchester is probably the best of its kind in the UK, though I'm open to any correction that anyone wants to make about that.

I travel over there regularly from Nottingham (great views via the Woodhead Pass and also on the run via Chesterfield/Chatsworth, NOT the horror run via the A50/M6) - if only people at EMA (ironically the same as those who run Manchester) realised that it pays to be nice to spotters, not harass them or make them risk life & limb around the site?

What I'd like to see improved at the AVP, from entrance to exit:

improved access, and a clearer notice advising people what it costs to come in by car, so they can opt out more easily if not prepared to pay

tarmac on the parking area (pigs might fly first)

relocation of the mound nearest the screened-off area (which must have been built before the screens were erected there?) or construction of a new mound (preferably at a greater height than the existing ones, to take the fence out of the picture in photos?) which takes into account the needs of dedicated spotters

some kind of fencing/shelter on the mound(s) to protect from the prevailing winds, if H&S legislation/costs allow

clean toilets with an extract fan - those in the visitor centre are fine, but their use by spotters is often discouraged by the staff, in my experience

a bit more space in the shop - wonderful stock, but too much of it in the middle of the floor!

also in the shop - put the radar display where people can at least admire it, not many of us can afford to purchase it (though I'm crazy enough to be working on that)?

on busy days, more staff to assist with egress/exit from the car park, I agree with the gentleman who made the point about it taking too long - maybe even have a car park pay prior to exit machine as many car parks do?

Yes, all of the above cost money - but looking at the numbers that have turned up on recent holiday days, is the VP not making any? It'd be terrible to lose the facility, or see it deteriorate, and if there's anything I can do to prevent that....?

Further thoughts on any aspect of the above, or additions to it, are more than welcome,

Happy Viewing!

Mark

Evanelpus
11th May 2011, 12:51
improved access, and a clearer notice advising people what it costs to come in by car, so they can opt out more easily if not prepared to pay

I haven't been there for ages so cannot comment personally on the size of the car park tarrif signs but does anyone think it's designed small so that you don't realise you've been had, until you have!

Anyone want to post a photo of the sign so we can all see how stealth charging works?

donnlass
14th May 2011, 20:53
Great post! Ye s its ok to shelter a metal Concorde but how about the mere mortals who may want to look longingly through the fancy windows but then turn their attention to the real aircraft landing, taking off and such like? Watching Etihad, Singapore & Co depart at 9 am and then waiting for the airbus at 12.25, shivering even when wrapped up warm is taking the fun bit to extremes. But no matter we plod on, occasionally! Just glad we dont have to pay, being pedestrians:) No warm car to sit in mind.

MAN777
14th May 2011, 22:45
Providing cover for visitors has been raised many times and hopefully the new management at the RVP will act and find funding for it,

You can sit in the takeaway (as long as you make the odd purchase) and I am told Ringways are going all costa coffee style with leather settees at the windows

Also the feared renewal of the 8 foot fence for a 12ft Dft standard one is not happening in the near future, so the mounds are still high enough to take photos

Lastly TAS are holding their aviation fair on the 9th & 10th of July this year

TAS Fair (http://tasmanchester.com/TAS_Fair.html)

david.crosby
15th May 2011, 08:03
I went to the Manchester airport viewing park on a University trip last week and i thought it was great. I go to LHR quite a lot and you do get good pictures I think manchester is great for spotters. I really enjoyed seeing different planes instead of the normal BA, Virgin and BMI.

Delight
3rd Jul 2011, 21:24
Visited for the first time at the weekend. I agree that it isn't cheap but by far the best facilities in the UK. I wish they would do something like it at one of the Scottish airports.

flyingguy1984
4th Jul 2011, 15:23
Well I visited the MAN AVP for the for the first time in about 5 years, as a mate of mine was down there late on a Sunday evening a couple of weeks ago. Anyhow, we were the last two to leave at 8pm I think, and unfortunately I'd forgotten to bring some cash. I assumed that like most places they'd take card, or at least have a cash machine. Failing that, my friend would bail me out. Anyway, it cost him £12 to get out and when I drove up the barrier, the "friendly" man told me it was £6 (I was there for an hour and 12 minutes), and it got quite nasty. My friend came over and we were being as polite as possible, explained we didn't have enough cash, to which I was told, the cash machine is locked up and we don't take card! So I said to the man, what do you want me to do? We ended up in a heated debate, well I should say, he explained the trouble he would get into for waivering the £6 charge, so apparently I've been reported to the police! He took my registration and my details :\ lol. It wasn't as if I didn't want to pay, or tried to cheat the barrier, I even offered the £3 we could muster up as a good will gesture. He was having none of it! I fully understand I was in the wrong for not having change, but the whole affair took around 20 minutes for him to press the 'raise barrier' button on his computer. Left a very sour taste in my mouth! Next time I go, I'll park at the pub next door and walk in. That's if I've not been sent to prison in the meantime.

Stu666
4th Jul 2011, 15:44
I think they've dropped a boll*ck from a public relations viewpoint with the new system, but they are probably raking it in financially. The last couple of times I've been I've found myself clock watching and wondering what they are going to charge me if I'm a couple of minutes over. I'd take the family more often if it were cheaper/fairer.

MAN777
4th Jul 2011, 20:56
TAS Fair (http://tasmanchester.co.uk/TAS_Fair.html)

LAS1997
5th Jul 2011, 09:08
I am thinking of visiting the AVP and will be flying up from LHR; how do I get from the terminal to the AVP? I presumme its not walking distance; is there an airport shuttle bus? Any advice appreciated.

ConstantFlyer
5th Jul 2011, 09:45
LAS 1997

Yes, there is a bus. From the Terminal, follow signs for the bus and railway stations. Downstairs in the bus station, look for number 200. I think it goes from stand H or K or somewhere thereabouts. The 200 goes one way to a town called Wilmslow, but you want it going the other way; the AVP is the last stop.

It goes hourly from the airport at 16 mins past, and comes back at 25 mins past. The journey is 8 minutes. Not sure how much the fare is. Maybe a local can advise??? If you just miss the bus, you can walk it in about 25 mins - see route on bus map & timetable here:

http://www.tfgm.com/upload/routemaps/200_0310.pdf

LAS1997
5th Jul 2011, 11:57
ConstantFlyer; many thanks for the information.

MAN777
5th Jul 2011, 12:06
Also any bus to the cargo centre takes you nearly all the way (number 19 is one of them) short walk past the romper pub about 5-10 mins