PDA

View Full Version : float plane off ramsgate today

1000tintoys
5th Apr 2009, 20:03
Passing Ramsgate Harbour on the East Kent Coast today about noon, I saw a float plane flying at a few hundred feet heading towards the Pegwell Bay or Sandwich area.

Anyone know anything about this? I couldn't identify it any further than, it was definitely a float plane.

Twitcher
5th Apr 2009, 20:24
A friend of mine texted to say he saw the float plane, he said it was a Cessna but he saw it from a distance. He'd appreciate a registration if it is identified.

Newforest2
5th Apr 2009, 20:45
If it was blue, it was Cessna 182, G-ESSL.

Throat
5th Apr 2009, 20:54
yep, i saw go over the m25

Twitcher
5th Apr 2009, 21:15
More info is on the Manston Yahoogroup. The aircraft went on to land at Lydd.

1000tintoys
5th Apr 2009, 22:53
Thanks for the info. Just out of interest, is it legal for float/amphibious aircraft to land on water around our coasts other than - obviously - an emergency?

Twenty odd years ago I proposed to Thanet District Council they investigate whether the old Hovercraft Port at Pegwell Bay could be utilised as an Amphibious Airport. With Manston ( now Kent International Airport) a couple of miles north, bad weather would be a dissapointment to paying customers not to take off/land on water, but optional.
At the time K-nex ( plastic meccano sort of toy ) were looking into putting a factory there; until it was decided to turn the huge concrete pad over to nature.
How viable it would have been to create an amphibious airport I do not know, but it looked good to me. It is a few miles from Ramsgate ferry port. TDC never replied anyway.:8

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Apr 2009, 07:16
<<Thanks for the info. Just out of interest, is it legal for float/amphibious aircraft to land on water around our coasts other than - obviously - an emergency?>>

I am not aware of any general rules which prohibit such action but there are various danger areas, with naval munitions practice, where it would be less than wise to land!

Here's a snap I took of the said aeroplane at Blackbushe-on-sea. Fortunately the tide was out!
G-ESSL Cessna 182R. Blackbushe Airport 27 August 2007 :: GESSL.jpg :: Fotopic.Net (http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/p57339207.html)

1000tintoys
6th Apr 2009, 17:18
Thanks for posting the photo, that was what I saw, in silhouette. We need more of these flying around, lovely to watch.

Twitcher
10th Apr 2009, 20:04
If any of you saw the seaplane buzzing around last weekend, the owner is contemplating basing it at Manston during the summer months to give rides out to spots such as the abandoned anti-aircraft towers in the estuary.

EGMH
23rd Apr 2009, 21:04
G-ESSL popped into MSE this Monday, plus carried out a landing into Pegwell bay.

1000tintoys
23rd Apr 2009, 23:28
Any chance if this happens again, we will get a heads up?

If so, where would the heads up site be, and how much notice?