PDA

View Full Version : Mannion leaving Aer Lingus

suasdaguna
5th Apr 2009, 13:36
RTÉ News: Mannion to leave Aer Lingus: Reports (http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0405/aerlingus.html)

interesting times.

PC767
5th Apr 2009, 15:46
They can have Walsh back.

Bingaling
5th Apr 2009, 17:02
Good riddance....:ok:

philbky
5th Apr 2009, 17:19
Ditto. As for Walsh, BA deserve him - or is it the other way around?

brian_dromey
5th Apr 2009, 18:55
To be fair, Mr Walsh may have done many things, but he did make the airline a viable business, prepared it for privatisation. All that stoped when Mr Mannion arrived. the airline stagnated in terms of growth and long haul, his supposed area of expertise, has been a money loosing disaster with a sub-standard product, arguably to the wrong cities.

As bad as dear Willie may have been, Dermot brought the airline right back to the brink and undid most of Mr Walsh's good work.

Brian.

Bearcat
5th Apr 2009, 23:32
Brian, ditto re your comments...many believe he was never cx material from day one. Lots of bluff and bluster but never cut the mustard.

EISNN
6th Apr 2009, 01:41
From the first day I clapped eyes on him I knew he'd be a disaster. Too much bean counter and not enough vision. :ugh: sadly I fear it may be too late to repair some of the damage that has been done such as the SNN-LHR route and expansion into other routes besides USA. EI should be looking at Cape Town, Beijing and Singapore/Bangkok/Hong Kong. Perhaps even Buenos Aires.

Who ever replaces Mannion had better know what he's talking about and also show some real vision, balls, warmth and personality.

Sober Lark
6th Apr 2009, 08:47
He is resigning to allow "a new CEO to bring fresh thinking amd new ideas to the business" Sean Coyle, CFO, is the front runner to replace him. From a markets point of view that would be seen as a progressive move should it happen.

Bingaling
6th Apr 2009, 09:10
Ditto the comments on W Walsh. He is a likeable leader with the liathroidi to make big decisions that impact positively on the bottom line. Someone in his position could never please everyone all the time but some of the people a lot of the time. As for the CFO in AL taking over? O'Leary will be licking his chopsticks....:ugh:

Shamrogue
6th Apr 2009, 11:34
EI certainly needs vision. FR's involvement overall is not positive so this position needs to be defended.
However, EI does need clarity. It has tieups with UA,B6 in the North American market. This appears to offer diluted revenue fares at a time when airfares are already low! So I don't know how happy I'd be about giving away more money.
As tough as Walsh is, he does appear to have leadership qualities also and the Liariodi! Mannion didn't inspire or at least not from a distance.
As mad as OLeary is, he does have a vision.

Anyways, lets hope the future for all at Aer Lingus is positive.

Cheerio
Shamrogue

critical alpha
6th Apr 2009, 12:08
Rats and sinking ship come to mind!!

pee
6th Apr 2009, 12:58
"Mayday we are sinking" -
The Coastguard: "What are you thinking about?"

Sorry, just came to my mind... ;)

The Wall Street Journal has already speculated about the Mannion's successor. "Some observers said former Ryanair director of scheduled revenue Sean Coyle, now Aer Lingus' chief financial officer, is a front-runner to succeed Mannion."

What was his stand on FR acquisition bids by the way?