PDA

View Full Version : The Good Old Days ... when will they be back !!!

leisurelad
4th Apr 2009, 20:07
Hey,

Sorry if this has been discussed before and i know everyone has moved on but when will the good old days return !!!

Will we ever see carriers back like Air Europe / Airtours / Caledonian / Excalibur / Air Ops etc.

Huge volumes of people all excited about going on holiday, interesting flights being worked by crew, people loved their jobs and their was a constant buzz about the place, a place that you were proud to work in.

What has happened eh - all i see now is people being stressed over 30mins delay, threating legal action, abuse, staff unhappy in their job and just damm right arrogance towards everybody.

I know i may be dreaming here but can we have a topic to look back over the good old charter days - a time that was fun.

Be interested to hear peoples stories

Cheers :ok:

daz211
4th Apr 2009, 20:47
Britannia Airways, Airtours, Air uk leisure.

The good old days have gone for good, with Airlines like Ryanair
flying from the UK to holiday destinations such as PMI, IBZ, ALC,
GRO, AGP,FAO for as little as £6 RTN there is no chance of the
good old days returning what so ever.

Ballymoss
4th Apr 2009, 20:54
leisurelad,

Sadly, your post belongs in AH&N. You refer to the later good old days, it was much more fun prior to then. Shuffle it over to that forum and, I'm sure people will discuss at length those long gone, but fondly remembered days...

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

leisurelad
4th Apr 2009, 21:58
Thanks Moss,

Always great to hear about stories and how things use to be done, having been ex crew myself and worked in ops for a time, miss it badly but nowdays when i go away on holiday, i hate the way things have become and almost dread the flight itself which is very sad in my opinion.

Ta

Abusing_the_sky
4th Apr 2009, 23:00
staff unhappy in their job and just damm right arrogance towards everybody.

when i go away on holiday, i hate the way things have become and almost dread the flight itself which is very sad in my opinion

Uh ah, i know, i know!
How about you don't go (fly) on holiday then? You could avoid the oh my dear God, the pain, the horror, of a 2 and a half hours flight to sunny Spain for as little as £6 return!

Like any other industry, the aviation industry changes all the time. Take it or leave it. Your choice entirely. How about going caravaning through the UK instead? Betcha that won't cause you any horror or pain...

one post only!
5th Apr 2009, 07:21
I don't think its just aviation, its the whole of the UK that needs to change! People nowadays always know better than the crew and they just don't have the patience to tolerate any form of delay. With air travel so accessible and "routine" people treat it like a bus service. They forget however that my local bus company can't run a 25 seater bus on time round my town but getting a multi-million dollar jet 15 mins late down to the other end of the med, god forbid!

Just watch peoples behavior in traffic, in supermarket queues, its the same. No time, too stressed, out of my way or I will walk all over you.

While aviation has changed quite a lot, people have changed more!

MANAGP
5th Apr 2009, 11:52
Except for Monarch, 40 years old and still going strong!

jerboy
5th Apr 2009, 13:38
<quote>How about you don't go (fly) on holiday then? You could avoid the oh my dear God, the pain, the horror, of a 2 and a half hours flight to sunny Spain for as little as £6 return!</quote>

Just because its cheap doesn't make it a pleasurable experience...

WHBM
5th Apr 2009, 15:31
I know I may be dreaming here but can we have a topic to look back over the good old charter days - a time that was fun.
Ah yes, the good old charter days :

- Common 12 hour-plus delays at summer weekends.
- Just 33 lbs baggage allowance.
- Pathetic "seatback catering"
- Secondhand BEA/BOAC castoff fleet.
- Regular bankruptcies.
- A major fatal accident in many years.

5th Apr 2009, 16:49
The good old days of charter may well be a distant memory now, as the 'lo co's' have developed a route network and fare structure that fits modern needs.

However, never forget that charter flights originally allowed ordinary, less wealthy people their first chance of flying to Europe for a holiday, breaking the stranglehold of the state-backed flag carriers.