PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream (?) at NZAP

NZScion
4th Apr 2009, 08:55
Hi All,

A curious friend sent me the following picture, asking about this aircraft and its background. To me it looks like a Gulfstream of some description, but I don't get anywhere with the three number registration. Anyone have any further ideas?

Photo was taken at Taupo, New Zealand (NZAP) on 3/04/2009.

Cheers,

NZScion

Link to photo (http://flickcabin.com/public/view/26767)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Apr 2009, 08:58
Almost certainly military but I can't offer much else except wish I'd seen it!

One of the gen kids will be on here soon with the answer.

Oooppss.. found it on Airliners.net. US Navy:
Photos: Gulfstream Aerospace C-37A Gulfstream V (G-V) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Gulfstream-Aerospace-C-37A/0918984&tbl=&photo_nr=1&sok=&sort=&prev_id=1448441&next_id=0575545)

Wycombe
4th Apr 2009, 13:17
US Navy?

Taupo is quite a way from any sea - although there is a very big lake within view of the airport!

Also a bit tight for a large Gulfstream, rwy length about 1400m IIRC?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Apr 2009, 13:24
Northolt is a long way from the sea too, but plenty of US Navy aircraft visit there.

philbky
4th Apr 2009, 14:18
The US Air Force and US Navy operate a number of Gulfstream III and Gulfstream V aircraft in this scheme which, at first glance, lacking star and bar and obvious titles, could be taken for a regular biz jets, on various low profile diplomatic and military contact missions around the world.

The Air Force GIIIs are based at Andrews and, during the Bush years at least, one was always not too far away from AF1 when travelling internationally.

The GIIIs make reasonably regular visits to Shannon and carry five figures of their serial, the navy GVs the last 3 of their Bureau of Aeronautics number.

Wycombe
4th Apr 2009, 19:47
Yep, you got me there HD! - but there IS a fairly important Naval HQ not far from Northolt.

As far as Taupo NZ is concerned - the only things nearby are lakes, volcanoes and other wonderful scenery!

NZScion
4th Apr 2009, 23:48
NZAP has TODA listed as 1447m in AIP NZ. LDA is 1386m. Not familiar with the takeoff and landing requirements for the G-V but I imagine this would be achievable with a light load? As NZAP doesn't have customs/immigration I would imagine the flight would have had to come in via NZAA or similar.

As for places for the pax to be visiting, aside from the scenery, there is Waiouru army base down the road. Whilst this has its own strip (NZRU), it is slightly shorter at 1194m and perhaps too tight. AIP NZ also does not list any fuel being available. Further down the road, you also have a Navy Communications Facility just off the main highway. The name of the base escapes me however.

Cheers for all the replies.