PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar planning exercise

jtr
4th Apr 2009, 02:47
I have an interview coming up for J* and have just found out about the "planning ex"

I have found one post with some info, is there any other scoop around on it?

Any help appreciated.

<To those of you who feel the need to tell me how bad things are there etc etc, please save yourself the trouble and bandwidth, I have read through plenty of the previous posts where the opinions are pretty clear>

Mr. Hat
4th Apr 2009, 05:55
jtr is it for the nz gig or is jet* aus hiring? Just wondering..

jtr
4th Apr 2009, 07:23
Mr Hat, It is for the NZ op.

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
4th Apr 2009, 09:03
ZED, give jtr a break and grow up.

Granted, it's rumoured to not pay very well (if you take the base pay in isolation). But as I'm sure those who've seen the contract will attest, it does have an incentive bent, where overtime could see base pay increase to a not unreasonable level (if you look at it from the point of view of the cost of living in NZ if you are resident in NZ. Same applies to UK, USA, etc. If you look at it from the point of view of exchange rates with other countries, of course it doesn't look as good).

But, however, there'd be (and in fact are) many people who would jump at any A320 job for many reasons; they want to continue to live in AKL, they want to get their first crack at a jet job, they look to the future in the hope that there will be rapid promotion, etc.

If you, ZED, don't want the job, I'm sure JQ is happy not to hear from you. I know I would be happy not to hear from you...

Anyhow, JTR...

Unless it's changed over the last little while, you're presented with one of any number of scenarios, all of which have the same requirement - for you to 'fly' a company route from 'A' to 'B' in the shortest time.

Sounds easy? Sure is, except that it's time-limited and the scenario throws you a curve-ball at the outset.

To help you in your endeavours, there are several other airports in the scanario that are available to you. These can be used (to use just a few reasons) to repair an unserviceability or find a new crew or refuel or any combination thereof.

The trick in this exercise is to be VERY organised. There are times of availability that have to be respected, weather conditions that might affect suitability, times of available maintenance...in short a concise precis of all the things we aviators have to consider.

There will be several options that you might come up with, but one will be the quickest way. Don't assume anything. Examine everything and all options. Even if you think you've found the fastest option, if you still have time available, use it to work another option.

Oh yeah, be logical in your workings and don't write like a doctor, ie write legibly!

I'm not sure whether there are many websites that have examples of the concept.

Good luck.:ok:

Cravenmorehead
4th Apr 2009, 17:54
Can someone please answer this poor blokes question.
Actually I am interested too.
Always enjoy these sort of exercices.

jtr
5th Apr 2009, 00:29
Rad-Alt and those who took the time to PM me, thank you very much for your time. I appreciate the effort.

To those of you who are so confident applicants to J* are about to ruin the industry, denigrate the profession, lower standards, cause birth defects, emit carcinogenic fumes, promote global terrorism, and stop the world spinning... ask yourself what you would do if you had applied to 17 different airlines and 7 different contract agencies over the past 4 months and only been offered one interview. I have 5000hrs on 3 different jet types, a family that likes to be fed, and am not qualified to work as a Manly ferry deck hand or a barista, and where I live in the world I am not able to get a job "stacking supermarket shelves"

Walk a mile etc

HKfooey, note that I didn't rain on your parade when you took a job in HKG and took a contract that offered inferior T+C compared to the "established carriers" yet you have the audacity to infer I am prostituting myself by interviewing for a job the offers inferior T+C compared to the "established carriers":confused:

horserun
5th Apr 2009, 00:57
I have 5000hrs on 3 different jet types, a family that likes to be fed...

My earlier joke aside, good luck, we live in tough times at the moment (and Jetstar know it).

Just join ALPA as soon as you can and start pushing for better T&C!

Those bastards at jetstar will get whats coming to them

Zed
5th Apr 2009, 01:20
One condition of the contract. NO union representation. Goodluck

waren9
5th Apr 2009, 02:41
Really?

I thought union membership was a legal right in NZ? If its an act of parliament you can hardly be forced to contract out of it, surely?

Care to elaborate Zed?

horserun
5th Apr 2009, 03:23
Your right Waren9
It is a legal right in NZ.

letsflyjetstar
5th Apr 2009, 10:32
email xxxxxxxxxxxx for some info. I can't attach PDF's here.

waren9
5th Apr 2009, 10:53
HKF.

Sounds like jtr knows exactly what hes walking into.

If he still wants to go there then thats up to him and him alone. For someone not even on the same continent, let alone the same pair of shoes as him, you've certainly got an awful lot of opinion about what he shouldnt be doing.

Live and let live mate. You knocking the arse out of someone who wants to feed and clothe his kids aint gonna change his mind.

Be happy in your own choices, with your free 737 endo and cheap noodles for dinner and let the rest of us get on with it. Not everyone is prepared to live in an overcrowded sh1thole like HK.

I dont agree with the J* NZ situation either. I've voted with my feet and kept out of it too. But, like you, I've had the luxury of the choice of not having to apply.

What would you rather jtr do? Pull a benefit?

Oh, and for the record. Your overt disdain for the "BS planning ex" makes it sound like you've failed one. Tell me thats not the case?

jtr
5th Apr 2009, 12:42
letsfly, thanks, I just sent you an e-mail.

HKfooey, thanks for clarifying your situation, makes it all clear to me how different our positions are.

scardycap
6th Apr 2009, 10:58
Hey whats the air like up there on your self righteous soap boxes? I'm sure all of you who finished your CPL with 150 hours all those years ago marched straight into a job interview and told your respective employer you weren't going to take the job unless your terms and conditions were met.
As we all know in this industry it's always the first rung that's the hardest, the first job after CPL, the first twin, first turbine, first jet job etc.
So I take it none of you did parachute drops for a couple of dollars a jump, or forked out thousands more on an instructors rating and then got paid stuff all while working as a casual. None of you swept hangars and hung around hoping to get a flight or moved out to the middle of nowhere flying a clapped out 206 hoping to get a leg up on the companies chieftain.
Some guy's asking for help here and all anyone except one or 2 people can do is criticize. Very easy to forget from whence you came, and how you got to where you are now. Talk about prostitution, you have all done it at some stage. What's the saying about the pot calling the kettle black.
Do I think the terms on offer are rubbish absolutely. Would I be happy to accept them myself, wish they were better but if given the chance yes. Would I be happy with them after a thousand hours on type, not on your nelly.
Unfortunately I know nothing about the Jetstar interview process to help this guy out except to say go for it. Get on that first rung and fly boy fly and if conditions haven't improved a year or two down the track then go somewhere better.:ok:

letsflyjetstar
6th Apr 2009, 22:57
The stuff is 'out there' now. I sent out seven emails and got ONE thank you.
I thought a nice gesture at least deserved a thank you. :confused:

I wish you all good luck with your careers, just don't forget to be grateful sometimes:ok:

jtr
6th Apr 2009, 23:49
letsflyjetstar, please have a look at your e-mail and/or PM. Thanks in adv.

oicur12
7th Apr 2009, 04:14
"Build hours for the light at the end of the tunnel- a well remunerated, well supported airline position."

Just like Canada. The US. UK. Europe.

Australia is joining the global industry in many ways.

GUARD
8th Apr 2009, 13:46
I was so looking forward to going to bed just now after a week long trip......until I read this last post by Chewi.

Thats just too rude mate. I know we all make different choices and it can seem disappointing ( usually when you've got the comfort of a job ) when airlines pull a swifty like this and lower the conditions and there are still people lining up for interviews. BUT...

On those rare occasions when I've been out of work and had no money I've sat and watched people at the ATM take out $50 or $100 and thought what I wouldn't give for $20.

J* NZ will get the pilots, all this guy wanted was a sharing of information.

Good luck mate. Hope it works out for you.

GUARD:ok: