View Full Version : Aer Lingus Hold Pool

Todders
3rd Apr 2009, 16:21
Just would like to know how many others out there are in a hold pool for Aer Lingus. Interested in LGW really but other bases as well i guess..

A and C
3rd Apr 2009, 16:44
The answer is lots of you and the reason is that you are being used in a company political battle with the Irish pilots union.

missterrible
3rd Apr 2009, 18:19
If only that were true. :rolleyes:

jonw
4th Apr 2009, 14:34
Im in, no idea how many others etc though. Im under the impression interviews have stopped now? Interesting to know the mix of 320 TR / non 320 TR...

Wacked
5th Apr 2009, 19:21
Are you all talking about Fo or DEC. I did an interview for DEC at LGW and haven't heard a thing.

Jetfella
6th Apr 2009, 09:05
Dermot is away with immediate effect,First week of LGW,which is his baby,stange.

Some info I am hearing,

1.Dermot is going to Emirates(back to)
2.There are 28 F/Os in the hold pool.
3.DEC is recruitment frozen indefinitely.
4.Sold a ton of seats ex LGW,but not going to make any cash
at least initally due cheap fares,and wet leasing.
5.Lots of political issues in Dublin re shares etc are having a bad
effect on new bases.
6.There is no 6.

Its PPrune,so I could be wrong on all of these,or some,but thought you
might like to hear them.
Im in the Hold pool too,but Im not expecting the phone to ring anytime soon,
Its filed in the back of my mind.Luckily I am still flying elsewhere,I know others in the pool who are out of work,and that must be hell.
Heres hoping byt the end of the year maybe?...

Joeboy
6th Apr 2009, 16:02
So whats with the 3 year training bond? Even being type rated......

MCDU2
6th Apr 2009, 16:12
Just to clarify a few things. There aren't any wet leases as far as I know nor would IALPA sit idly by without a huge bunfight given the obvious impact this has on everyones livelihoods. The a/c are being flown by AL pilots at LGW. Two new a/c came online in the last few weeks to assist with flying the LGW schedule. Another 2 DUB a/c are being used to make up the 4 needed to kick things off. How they get the 8 by the end of the year is anyones guess and is probably subject to change depending on demand in anycase. If you look at the latest press releases it says they "expect" to have up to 8 a/c by the end of the year. Doesn't say "will" or even which year they are working to so you can read as little or as much into that as you want. Also in terms of crewing some previously DUB based flight crew have moved to LGW whilst the rest overnight so whilst a few people have joined there hasn't been the influx previously envisaged. Probably a good thing for the company as a whole given the market conditions we are facing to tread softly softly but understandably not so good for someone trying to get in.

Todders
7th Apr 2009, 15:56
Hey guys thanks for the info i'm in the same pos. as jetfella just thought i'd see who was about as it has gone very very quiet from the Lingus HR dept. at BMI for the hold pool they are at lest sending us an email every month with the never changing update.

Jetfella
8th Apr 2009, 19:44
agreed,

was a time when you would be fully in the loop regards your

position,unfortunately it seems these courtesies have gone by the wayside in

these days of recession.Pity for an organisation such as Aer Lingus.

Still hope to work there though!

Wacked
9th Apr 2009, 10:10
I would expect that sort of treatment from Ryanair, but I expected a little more from Aer Lingus. It's over a month since I did my interview and have recieved nada.:confused:

missterrible
10th Apr 2009, 12:22
The HR department has many other issues to deal with, not just impatient, uninformed egocentrics seeking gratification.

Tooloose
11th Apr 2009, 06:52
Wow! That explains everything.

Joeboy
11th Apr 2009, 08:05
Hmmm! Sounds like someone is in need of a shag.....

Stand31
11th Apr 2009, 20:04
Yeah charming!- that's the attitude of our morass of mediocrity that passes for "HR" in EI.!! (and that's being charitable). Don't be put off though, people you encounter on the line are nice to work with.

Todders
15th Apr 2009, 16:01
The HR department has many other issues to deal with, not just impatient, uninformed egocentrics seeking gratification.

Tad rude there... not really needed now was it???

Impatient?? Well i was put in a hold pool over two months ago and suggested to not take another job offer as i would be required in very sort notice and could be very soon, although granted I was informed it may also be a while.

Uninformed?? Well i couldn't agree more and I do think you will find that was the point that was being made.

Egocentrics seeking gratification?? Just rude, think before you speak next time as you clearly have no idea. I honestly hope you never are put in the position when you career that you worked very, very hard for is pulled out from under you leaving you with no income out of the blue.

Thanks for your input :ok:

yoland
15th Apr 2009, 19:59
Dont hold your breath as Iberworld are being hired in to reduce the risk factor.Sorry.

Lord Lardy
15th Apr 2009, 21:04
Todders, why don't you try ringing the company. I'm sure they will be more forthcoming in giving you information rather than speculation on this website by those who can't really give you an answer. By the way there is no mention of Iberworld coming in. Perhaps those informing you Yoland are the same as those who on the 1st of March told you:

Just heard Aer Lingus are not in a financial position to challenge Easyjet in Gatwick on the same routes and the whole Gatwick operation is to be scrapped

King Halibut
15th Apr 2009, 21:15
I applied but never heard from them. I went for the chief pilots job. So you reckon I should hear soon? P.S I don't have an Airbus rating

curser
16th Apr 2009, 10:27
Yoland, your post is incorrect. There has never been a suggestion on those lines.

yoland
16th Apr 2009, 11:00
I happily stand corrected as my colleague who flies for Iberworld as been misinformed by his company.:ok:

missterrible
17th Apr 2009, 22:56
Why do some self appointed pilots think the airlines owe them a living? :rolleyes:

PPRuNeUser0178
18th Apr 2009, 08:27
Just happened to glance at this thread and I am glad to see it is not just EZY that have the trolls working for them, ours (Flying Clara) has been booted out recently. Fear not chaps, people like missterrible have ego trips on the fact that they may have some (limited) information that could make all the difference to some fairly life changing senarios and decisions that they have no comprehension of whatsoever and they get off on having people come to them for that info and they milk it to the last to massage their over inflated egos. Shame really.

Heard an ammusing tale recently of someone who had been told he would hear news fairly soon about a job and had been given a probable start date and advised to keep that clear in his diary. As the date grew closer and he had heard nothing he though a polite phonecall might be in order. He got some HR troll who was obvioulsy busy with her skinny latte at the inoportune moment he made his enquiry, and he was told in simple terms "don't call us, we will call you". This chap had the good sense to take note of the date, time and NAME of the person with whom he had had this encounter.

The date he was told to keep clear arrived with no further information having been received. Late that day he received a phonecall from companies' training department asking where he was? His type rating course started that morning!

This type of thing happens day in and day out in the airlines and you get these power tripping runts making comments like that of missterrible above, but the moral of my little tale was that the HR troll in this story was allready on it's last warning and was clearing out it's desk by the time this guy hit the line!

Arrogance is everyewhere I am afraid, but come the day they needed you yesterday then that will change to, until then I am afraid that the cancer that is jumped up trolls like MissT above is just something, sadly, that has to be endured, but rest assured people skills like its' don't go unrewarded for ever, good luck chaps, don't let them get you down and never, never loose your sense of humour:ok:

Tooloose
18th Apr 2009, 08:31
missterrible,
I will have to guess at what your question means. I presume it is rhetorical and that you feel that pilots who have voluntarily undergone training for a commercial licence and paid for it and possibly also for a type rating seem to feel that they are entitled to be employed and paid by an airline. Perhaps you also feel that they are wrong and that they have no such entitlement. If that is the case then I agree with you. Nobody has any such entitlement and nobody is owed a living unless they are employed and doing productive work in return for that living.

However, I am not aware of any such suggestion on this thread. The general point seems to be that Aer Lingus invited applications from suitably qualified pilots for employment in Gatwick. Some were successful and have already taken up their positions. Congratulations to them and welcome. Some others were offered positions, given course dates, and so served notice on their current employers of thier impending resignation only to find that their courses were cancelled and so they found themselves unemployed. A third group completed the selection process and were never told whether they were selected or not. All they seem to be asking for is a little common courtesy and simple good manners. It seems a reasonable request to me.

If I have misunderstood your point then I apologise. Perhaps you would explain your question if that is the case.

Wacked
18th Apr 2009, 08:36
Missterrible..

I can't tell if you are taking the piss, but sadly I don't think you are.
Pilots don't appoint themselves, only dictators and God have that honour and pilots only think they are Gods.

All employees are owed renumeration by their employer, you could call it a living, but it's not what it was 10 years ago.
I really hope your not in the HR department in Aer Lingus, trying to deball pilots on a daily basis.:{

P.S. ezydriver, post of the year, wellldone:D

A and C
18th Apr 2009, 08:41
So glad that I did not find myself with this lot as the only employment option!

Tooloose
18th Apr 2009, 08:47
Wacked,
I have been in Aer Lingus long enough to remember when the HR dept was a model of best practice in dealing with current and prospective employees. Sadly, the sociopathic behaviour of one individual at a high level can have a disastrous effect. I know several people within the dept who are appalled and ashamed of what they see going on around them.

On another note, ezydriver, I'm sure we'd all love to hear exactly what happened to the delightful Flying Clara.

missterrible
18th Apr 2009, 17:12
Well done Tooloose you got it.

Ezydriver do you get off on calling people cancer? Do you know anyone who ever had cancer? A disgusting comment from exactly the type of individual I was talking about. You are the epitome of the egos who feel the airline revolves around them. Guess what, it doesn't.

Not all pilots are like that but you would be amazed at the attitude of some people who think they are owed a job and try to bully those charged with deciding who gets in. :rolleyes:

Tooloose
18th Apr 2009, 17:42
missterrible,
I don't think you're getting it though (the point, nothing else). Read the second paragraph. People have the right not be treated in a cavalier manner. It seems odd to me that someone with such disdain for others should seek to work in Human Resources. And no one on this thread has displayed the attitude you describe. They would just like to be informed in a reasonable amount of time whether their application has been successful or not. You seem to think that is too much to ask. I don't.

missterrible
18th Apr 2009, 18:07
Tooloose, is it unreasonable to assume that some of the those applying in the real world are some of the writing about their applications on pPrune? Would it also be reasonable to assume that the more vocal complaining types of those are also more likely to be the more vocal complaining type here?

A guy whining about not hearing anything for a month is not living in the real world. Not just the airline world but any industry. The current economic climate makes it even more difficult as the goalposts keep moving. Throw in a departing CX and you may realise that those worried about their current jobs might be a bit sensitive to arrogant twits phoning daily demanding to know when they might get their rightful employment.

PPRuNeUser0178
18th Apr 2009, 22:14
I rest my case.

Jetfella
19th Apr 2009, 08:25
..Sir Clement Freud would have had a field day....rip

bjet
19th Apr 2009, 08:58
Seems like we got MOL offspring here on pprune :eek:

Good manners and politeness are obviously to much to ask for when you are a pilot. Thatīs just pure arrogance :rolleyes:

Wacked
19th Apr 2009, 15:10
Missterrible..

I think I know what your are trying to say when it comes to people who phone on a daily basis, but you have an awful way of saying it.

I do however think that the majority of guys would not fall into this category. I think it is the height of arrogance to say that just because the airline business is in a state of flux that manners should go out the window. It would take 10mins out of someones day to send an email to all the interviewees saying that we haven't forgotten about you. No offence, but you sound like a complete dragon.

King Halibut
19th Apr 2009, 16:22
Hold on, who are we having a go at, missterrible, Tooloose or ezydriver?
Can we clear this up so I can have a go?

missterrible
19th Apr 2009, 16:25
I rest my case.

The one where you belittle cancer?

missterrible
19th Apr 2009, 16:46
Missterrible..

I think I know what your are trying to say when it comes to people who phone on a daily basis, but you have an awful way of saying it.

I do however think that the majority of guys would not fall into this category. I think it is the height of arrogance to say that just because the airline business is in a state of flux that manners should go out the window. It would take 10mins out of someones day to send an email to all the interviewees saying that we haven't forgotten about you. No offence, but you sound like a complete dragon.

Wacked. I realise this is a pilots forum and there may even be some real pilots here hidden among the frauds so I don't expect any sympathy.

Here is a big hint though. Don't go whining on the internet about a named HR department thinking that you are safe because you are anonymous. You have posted your experience elsewhere on this site among other clues. Not very bright. :rolleyes:

Wacked
19th Apr 2009, 18:27
:ok: lifes too short.

King Halibut
19th Apr 2009, 18:32
roooooooarrrrrrr (with flames) the dragon awakens

Todders
21st Apr 2009, 12:52
LOL Why oh why???

Silly idea posting on here.

MissT may i just apologise for offending you and your principles. I am sorry if you have had some bad experiences with crew before and i hope your job is safe why wouldn't I?

Point is this was a post to try and gain information from others in a similar position, not a post trying to pressure, belittle or make Aer Lingus or their HR department look bad. (And so as not to be one of the very people you speak of that expect a job and ring HR depts. on a daily bases)

As for hiding on pprune not really one of those people, I'm not really interested in sniping at people in the ether.

BSmuppet
21st Apr 2009, 13:09
I've never been good at Cluedo but judging by past MissTerrible posts, is she a member of the HR team AT Aer Lingus?

Whatever, she seems to have the painters in.

MissT, what possessed you to started on your "HR have better things to do" rant?

No they don't! If you want to enquire about the status of a job and you have other things hanging in the balance, then it is only right to call up HR.

Or does it disturb you answering the phone? When you're filing your nails, sipping a latte or talking about who got evicted form Big Brother?

Stand31
21st Apr 2009, 19:56
Just so you understand that these are the people who spent 117.5m on a voluntary severence scheme for staff but got the sums so wrong on the pension scheme that it's going to cost double what they thought. Hr are a joke. They are incompetent. It's like an exercise in buffoonery, hence the attitude.

Jetfella
22nd Apr 2009, 09:13
Am blissfully unaware of the behind the door goings on at Aer Lingus,as I suspect most of us are.
Its become apparent that there are no more jobs.I note the threat earlier from the demented HR individual(allegedly)to identify people here,and somehow damage their chances.

I have 5135 hrs 737-2/3/800,should help you to find me in the hold pool.Feel free to despatch me.Hope that will make you feel better!

My experience of the HR individuals I met during the selection in Feb,is at odds to what I hear in these posts from the Galway individual.

Nothing surprises me anymore though,good luck with hunt guys and gals.:ok:

PPRuNeUser0178
22nd Apr 2009, 11:52
From Cambridge on line dictionary one of the possible meanings of cancer:-

A harmful activity that spreads quickly.

Jetfella
9th Jun 2009, 14:52
Anybody in the know have any inkling on wether or not Aer Lingus will dip
in to the hold pool for LGW?

MCDU2
10th Jun 2009, 07:53
I would think it is highly unlikely that AL would be recruiting for flight crew in the near future. Reasons are:-

- big announcement from management later this month (was meant to be at the time of the AGM but has somehow slipped) regarding cost cutting/job losses vis a viz "root and branch review"

- management have asked for any flightcrew who is interested in unpaid leave to submit their details

- BFS is temporarily losing an aircraft so there will be a surplus of flight crew hence management have asked for volunteers interested in unpaid leave. Also those crews might request to transfer to LGW if there are slots available

- The rumour police reckon that there will be a cull of A330 airframes from the fleet and an across the board reduction in frequencies to the mid/long haul destinations. As a result there will be a surplus of A330 pilots. AL is a seniority based airline (with associated agreements) and these guys and girls will need to slot back in somewhere possibly "dislogding" the most junior pilots on the shorthaul fleet - namely the people recently recruited at BFS and LGW.

- The flip side is that AL have announced more routes from LGW. Whilst they haven't said where the airframes and crews will come from I would suspect that they will be the BFS aircraft and some from DUB with DUB crews continuing to overnight to keep the show on the road.

Having said all of that AL management haven't always been the smartest so it could well be that they opt for bringing in more CTC type cadets to fill the RHS and use captains from either BFS or DUB. But I wouldn't hold your breath on the hold pool being cleaned out just yet. To be recruiting whilst you have a potential surplus of pilots that you want to trim/cull would just open yourself up to attack from the legal beagles.

Personally I be looking elsewhere, there are a few scraps of work out there in Asia and Greece.