PDA

View Full Version : Going from BT to ISP for Line Rental

Tosh McCaber
3rd Apr 2009, 15:08
I am considering one of the all-in packages from ISPs, which includes cheaper line rental than BT's. If I decide to leave the new provider in future, will BT charge to have the line rental re-connected to them? (I don't think so, but confirmation would be comforting!)

P.Pilcher
3rd Apr 2009, 16:21
Ever since I left BT some years ago they have been repeatedly mailing me, encouraging me to return. This is despite their "new" line rental, broadband and telephone charges continuing to be higher than those I pay to my telephone services provider and broadband ISP. Although BT have zero chance of getting me back, I would say that they stand zero chance of getting anybody else back if they try charging a rejoining fee as well!

P.P.

frostbite
3rd Apr 2009, 16:51
What he said.

All these, sometimes quite elaborate, mailshots are so pointless since they never come near to even equalling the deal I have with TalkTalk.

Saab Dastard
3rd Apr 2009, 17:02
We cancelled our BT line rental last year and, as I recall it (though I didn't make a note at the time), were told that there would only be a reconnection fee if the line were physically removed, requiring reinstatement.

SD

ps - it probably depends on who you talk to in BT, marketing / sales pitches seem to vary! There are plenty of left hand - right hand situations.

Capot
3rd Apr 2009, 18:11
Don't worry; if you leave your new provider there are plenty of options that will be better than BT.

But if you do go back to BT you can bet your life they'll make you pay.

And that'll be after they've totally screwed you up, and only after you have then gone through the necessary ordeal of speaking very slowly and clearly to at least 6 call-centres in India, none of whom will have any knowledge about your case.

TalkTalk, Utility Warehouse, and others all offer excellent prices and service.

Edit; sorry, I forgot TalkTalk is now Opal, for no very good reason.

call100
3rd Apr 2009, 19:23
Of course you could ditch the line rental completely and use VOIP. I have been using it for two years now and its never let me down. With free calls to virtually everywhere in the world (which I take great advantage of) as well as the UK. Plus all the usual phone add ons....Voice mail, 1471, call waiting, 999 capability...etc etc etc. All for £7.50 pm No line rental. If you want it cheaper than that you can get it with a few less extras from various companies....
I'll never go back to BT

green granite
3rd Apr 2009, 20:06
Of course you could ditch the line rental completely and use VOIP.

What do you do if there is a power cut?

Saab Dastard
3rd Apr 2009, 20:43
What do you do if there is a power cut?

Use a mobile? :)

SD

green granite
3rd Apr 2009, 21:51
What about people who are trying to call you and don't know your mobile number? :)

Jofm5
4th Apr 2009, 08:17
We cancelled our BT line rental last year and, as I recall it (though I didn't make a note at the time), were told that there would only be a reconnection fee if the line were physically removed, requiring reinstatement.

This is only if you go to a cable provider such as Virgin media and elect for them to replace your existing cabling with theirs - not something they would typically do as they dont like to touch stuff that might break something else.

Most of the other companies work on a re-lease of existing bt infrastructure - referred to as unbundeling they can undercut the bt margin cause bt has had restrictions put on it for "anti-competitive" purposes.

call100:

Of course you could ditch the line rental completely and use VOIP. I have been using it for two years now and its never let me down. With free calls to virtually everywhere in the world (which I take great advantage of) as well as the UK. Plus all the usual phone add ons....Voice mail, 1471, call waiting, 999 capability...etc etc etc. All for £7.50 pm No line rental. If you want it cheaper than that you can get it with a few less extras from various companies....
I'll never go back to BT

Your paying either bt line rental, paying for ntl line rental (and on top of both for interenet service) OR your paying for a wireless broadband connection - either way your paying for for VOIP connection over and above the cost of the calls.

What about people who are trying to call you and don't know your mobile number

VOIP in this respect is data over a mobile network so has nothing to do with a mobile number.

Now for the reality.........

Voice over IP I have a very good knowledge of because I work with it day in and day out on a carrier level (i.e. not residential subscribers but telecoms companies to telecoms companies). The big disadvantage which is being addressed in legislation because people are wanting to move to this cheap medium is there is no provision for emergency access. I VoIP number connection can be dialled from your machine regardless of where that machine is - this differs from a traditional tdm telephone line whereby you know point A is connected to point B.

Add into this the requirement for your standard tdm phone line to provide a 50v feed to power a phone regardless of if your electric has been terminated for possible emergency reasons and you see the inherent problems with VoIP in a residential environment. To accomplish this in a VoIP environment you need your internet providing mechanism (Modem, DSL Router, etc) to be up and running as well as providing power to the handset.

VoIP is in its infancy

green granite
4th Apr 2009, 11:35
What about people who are trying to call you and don't know your mobile number

VOIP in this respect is data over a mobile network so has nothing to do with a mobile number.

Errrrrrrr you didn't read that properly Jofm5 that was my reply to Saab's comment about using a mobile when there was a power cut

call100
4th Apr 2009, 14:27
I have used VOIP continuosly for two years now....My provider enables 999 calls.
I have not had any power cuts. However, I would not have it without having the mobile for such emergencies....Otherwise there is no difference between the service I get and BT. Except the customer service is much better....:eek::)