PDA

View Full Version : VB struck by lightning

tmpffisch
3rd Apr 2009, 06:35
Just heard that a VB flight from Launy to Melb was struck by lightning across bass strait 3 times, and some passengers were treated for smoke inhalation.

Can anyone confirm this?

davo_2288
3rd Apr 2009, 06:41
Lightning strikes happen frequently. It's not really all that rare. As for the smoke inhalation....no idea.

tmpffisch
3rd Apr 2009, 06:42
It's more the cause of smoke I'm interested in hearing about.

tasdevil.f27
3rd Apr 2009, 07:31
Pretty sure it was the MEL - LST DJ 1370 service & it returned to MEL. Not due into LST until 2030 hrs tonight.

cheers.

Wod
3rd Apr 2009, 08:01
Smoke? Or sulphurous fumes?:)

Capt Fathom
3rd Apr 2009, 11:09
You know you are getting to close....when you can smell it!

compressor stall
3rd Apr 2009, 16:23
Ozone smells funny. One could easily think that (some) passengers could think that it was smoke and react accordingly.

Richard Kranium
5th Apr 2009, 01:05
I don't suppose anyone thought of sitting on the ground till the storm passed.

Flying around in that kind of weather only scares the living daylights out of everyone.:sad:

greenslopes
5th Apr 2009, 01:31
Yes thats what we should do if there are any Cb's between Sy-Bn-Ml we shall sit on the ground and not take off till they've all blown away.

Oh Dear.

Richard Kranium
5th Apr 2009, 02:50
Ah ok slopes, they flew through the thunderstorms on route, ok didn't know that, for me I would divert around them on route and wait on the ground if they were over an aerodrome until they moved, must be something new I don't know about.:ooh:

Keg
5th Apr 2009, 04:05
You don't have to be in a TS to get struck by lightning. I got thumped by a lightning strike on my last departure out of LHR. There wasn't a TS within 20 miles. :rolleyes:

Here's a great example of a 767 inbound to SYD.

036hpBvjoQw

Apparently a QF lightening strike was reported on the news in Sydney a couple of days back. It's frustrating that such 'non events' as these are being reported by an ignorant and scare mongering media. :suspect:

vee1-rotate
5th Apr 2009, 14:25
DJ aircraft in question was hit multiple times..had the once over from engineering and was back flying the next day :8

Looseliver
6th Apr 2009, 00:08
Great video of the 767 lightning strike!

You poke around storms like that and you'll get smited.

goddamit
6th Apr 2009, 19:04
agreed. I personally avoid storms on approach by 5 miles or so. Hold if ness. That QF seemed to be flying under a cell with another in the very close background. Not bashing the great red roo, just an observation.

A Comfy Chair
6th Apr 2009, 22:45
How can you tell from a video like that how close to a cloud the aircraft was flying? It could have been 2 miles or 50 miles and you wouldn't be able to tell from that video perspective.

Keg
6th Apr 2009, 23:18
Interesting stance goddamit. Comments from the F/O on that flight (it was posted on Qrewroom as well) indicate that the strike was in clear area and whilst there were TS in the area, none within the magical 5 miles. :rolleyes: My personal limit- and most other QF drivers I've flown with- indicate a bigger margin than 5 mile.

Wingspar
6th Apr 2009, 23:59
I think ol' TN had a policy of 20nm. Anyone confirm?

Once bitten, twice shy!

wessex19
9th Apr 2009, 00:00
http://www.planebuzz.com/asa2.jpg

http://www.planebuzz.com/asa3.jpg

greenslopes
9th Apr 2009, 00:18
Was this a lightening strike? If so bloody impressive

metrosmoker
9th Apr 2009, 00:51
Airmanship 101 by Kranium.
It sh1ts me everytime something like this happens, people feel the need to question the professionalism of the crew.
When there are close to 200 people on an aircraft, there are other factors that come in to play, like commercial pressures. You don`t just throw your hands in the air. It is not like they were flying between Darwin and Bathurst Island in a Navajo!

kiwi grey
9th Apr 2009, 05:14
The pictures on #18 were posted on another Pprune thread, and the explanation given, IIRC, was that it was an electrical fire inside the aircraft. And it started before push-back, so everyone got out OK, otherwise it could have been "a bit exciting":bored: