PDA

View Full Version : Bus Driving

chase888
3rd Apr 2009, 00:29
Apologies if this question has been asked in the past.

Watching "again" the Air Crash Investigation Gimli Glider programme, I ask is it possible to do sideslips in an Airbus?

It may have been pertinent in the US Airways landing had it been heading for a runway and not the river.

Something learned in gliding, and very useful when landing away in a short field.

As an aside, I dont think the computer graphics guy had ever done or even seen a sideslip.

Cheers

Clandestino
3rd Apr 2009, 01:28
A320 can be sideslipped. In normal law piloting technique differs from from conventionally controlled aeroplanes - when the desired slip is achieved, stick has to be released to neutral.

Now what's your definition of "computer graphics guy"?

Dream Land
3rd Apr 2009, 01:53
It side slips very well, just did it in my last simulator evaluation where they gave us the double engine failure scenario from 10,000 feet. :ok:

chase888
3rd Apr 2009, 02:41
Thank you for that info.

Maybe I should have said the animation artist rather than computer graphics.

Outside a simulator, a real sideslip in a 320 could be pretty exhilarating methinks.

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Apr 2009, 02:50
Outside a simulator, a real sideslip in a 320 could be pretty exhilarating methinks.
No, sideslip can't hurt a plane

PA

john_tullamarine
3rd Apr 2009, 03:54
No, sideslip can't hurt a plane

Depends on the circumstances ...

Reimers
3rd Apr 2009, 06:16
Having sideslipped an A320 in the sim myself I still wonder whether this is inside the envelope of real data used to program the sim or outside.
Also, when in normal law, the computers will try to hold the wings level despite the rudder input, and who knows when they will run out of aileron authority to counteract the rising wing. But only desperate situations call for a sideslip, and one might as well try.

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Apr 2009, 13:43
Depends on the circumstances ...

true J_T you got me:)

Don't stall or unport anything though :eek:

PA

Iceman49
3rd Apr 2009, 13:51
If you asked Airbus, I believe they would take a very dim view of side slipping...

dkz
3rd Apr 2009, 13:58
Actually there are two different problems:

- With the engine operational you might get a flameout because the air entering the engine is anything but undisturbed ...
- Some guy in Toulouse mentioned the pylon design not being able to cope with too much power sideways (that was 320 under discussion).

chase888
4th Apr 2009, 00:35
I really cannot think of a circumstance where you would consider a sideslip in a modern aircraft if power were available.
I and I suspect most others who learned the sideslip were in sailplanes or the great but flapless Tiger.