PDA

View Full Version : NOTAM Retention

folder
2nd Apr 2009, 19:16
My airline's ops manual and JAR Ops etc state that "Route specific NOTAM
documentation, if specifically edited by the operator" must be retained for a period of three months. Can anyone tell me where I can find a definition of route specific NOTAMs? We get a whole load of NOTAM information printed off automatically at the start of the flight duty. It includes the departure, destination, enroute, and multiple alternate aerodrome notams, for each sector. The company "policy" is to only retain the destination and first alternate NOTAM's at the end of the day, and throw away everything else. Of course this policy is not written down anywhere. The ops manual simply states to retain NOTAMS, full stop. I am wondering is this simply so they can store thousands of smaller envelopes, rather than thousands of larger ones. Does anyone know what the regulation actually means?

Henry VIII
2nd Apr 2009, 19:58
Route specific NOTAM documentation, if specifically edited by the operator" must be retained for a period of three monthsIt means that the company must retain any notam produced by the company itself, being the notam available on the net retraceble at later stage.
So, according to Jar Ops no needs to retain any notam till your company makes use of other editor notams.

where I can find a definition of route specific NOTAMs?I do not know.
My self interpretation says dep, dep altn if any, destn, destn altn(s) if any, all the enroute airport which allow you to remain within 60 min rule from planned track, etops altn if any.

Ciao ;)

folder
3rd Apr 2009, 09:33
Thanks. All our NOTAMs are filtered by the company. Would you think that this means we are required by JAR OPS to retain every single NOTAM that comes out of the computer for our flights, because of the fact that they are filtered by the company?

Daysleeper
3rd Apr 2009, 10:37
Thanks. All our NOTAMs are filtered by the company. Would you think that this means we are required by JAR OPS to retain every single NOTAM that comes out of the computer for our flights, because of the fact that they are filtered by the company

Short answer yes,

however... most filtering programmes keep that in a log file anyhow so the actual physical piece of paper does not need to be kept.

Whether your airline adopts this system will depend on your local regulators interpretation of JAR (EU now) - OPS.

Henry VIII
3rd Apr 2009, 10:49
Daysleeper, I disagree.

Filtering notams does not mean to edit. Editing and spreading work is commissioned to another company (Sita, Jeppesen, others)
The company I work for do not retain neither notam nor wx for this reason. As you told they have a storing software too.
And of course everybody have to relate to the "local interpretation" of the law :{