PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go for CPL/ME/IR?

Cirrus_Clouds
2nd Apr 2009, 16:54
Hey all,

Just as the title, where would you go to do your CPL/ME/IR and why?

Cheers!

TheBeak
2nd Apr 2009, 16:59
Somewhere that has the Twinstar, they are the planes to do your IR on. Absolute beauties......the FADEC and the G1000 make things ALOT easier and free up capacity.

Philmacavity
3rd Apr 2009, 21:39
Stapleford rocks!!!

On site accomodation, CPL and IR aircaft are good.. (Arrows and DA-42's)
- 152's and Warriors are a little ropey thou'... ;)
Instructors are VERY professional and dedicated.
Reasonable availability of aircraft and sims..
Won't rip you off with unnecessary training etc!

They got me through CPL / Multi / IR in minimum required hours, first time passes in all..

Fireboy
4th Apr 2009, 07:29
Stapleford is the way forward!

They got me through with first time passes, so I was very happy with them. I only had one problem, the booking sheet was sometimes changed and I wasn't told so I missed a couple of flights and I turned up hours to early. This is OK if you're staying on the airfield but I wasn't.

2 Whites 2 Reds
4th Apr 2009, 08:59
PAT @ Bournemouth are the way to go mate. Quality school with outstanding record of first time passes. Almost everyone gets through CPL/IR with a first time pass. Only a couple of people have had First Series passes lately i.e partialled their test but passed the partial section retest and it's almost unheard of to fail. Results don't lie. But there are some other great FTO's around so make sure you go and see as many as possible.

www.pat.uk.com (http://www.pat.uk.com) (I'm not on commission by the way :E)

bolty_1000
4th Apr 2009, 09:32
FLY-PFT based in European House, Bournemouth.

Excellent instructors
Excellent airside facility
Two students to one instructor
Fly daily
Pay as you fly

If visiting Bournemouth have a look at them Fly PFT: Professional Flight Training - Welcome (http://www.fly-pft.co.uk)

ICEMAN747
4th Apr 2009, 10:01
Have you tried calling Bonus at Cranfield ? They do a package price I know the CPL/IR/MEP which is fairly competitive. I went to see them a couple of months ago. Very friendly. Excellent pass rates after speaking with their students. A few of my friends have gone there and say that they are excellent.

Andy_R
4th Apr 2009, 12:25
Somewhere you are happy and comfortable. Everyone will applaud the school they trained at because that is all they know. Visit all on your shortlist and then make an informed decision.

tropicalfridge
5th Apr 2009, 18:41
I'd hold off for a year if I were you. Zero chance of a job until late next year my friend.

Cirrus_Clouds
5th Apr 2009, 21:13
I'll be holding off for around 1-3 yrs, will wait until times get better. ... just doing prior research :cool:

Philmacavity
16th Apr 2009, 21:03
CC,

If you can afford to, go for it soon.. You will then be 'right place, right time' when things do pick up.. But be aware, you won't walk straight into a job.. (Unless you are damned lucky, or have an Uncle that owns an Airline!!)

I have been in the aviation industry for nearly 18 years and have seen this happen before (and missed out myself, not being ready for the pickup!)

Things are no longer getting worse.. (in corporate aviation anyway!) I recon that the upturn will start by the end of this year!

Good luck to you though!

TheBeak
16th Apr 2009, 21:12
The best place to go if you are considering doing a ME/CPL/IR right now is a mental hospital.

Cirrus_Clouds
5th May 2009, 21:40
The best place to go if you are considering doing a ME/CPL/IR right now is a mental hospital.

LOL :ok:... love it, made me laugh there, whilst your nearly 100% correct.

I'll be delaying things for a while, just doing my ATPL theory currently, but the ME/CPL/IR won't be too far off.

Thanks all for the info above, much appreciated.

captain_rossco
5th May 2009, 21:53
I went Oxford modular, was very very good, but expensive. Go and look around a few, you'll know within an hour if its for you or not.

Regards
CR

pgar
14th May 2009, 12:58
I see Bonus are offering a cpl/me/ir package at around 16k, with a few quid to add for exams etc. That seems like very good value... or is it too good to be true?

INNflight
14th May 2009, 14:15
y mate went to NZ and converted back to JAA, now Easyjet, saved buckets of $,

I agree, same experience here, just that I did it in the US not in NZ.

love it, made me laugh there, whilst your nearly 100% correct.

He's not, quite the contrary. You've got loads of time on your hands, go modular, start out and do it step by step part time, you'll be done with it in 2 or 3 years, and ready to jump on the train.

Daniel777
18th May 2009, 12:40
Hey,

Any experiences lately with the flight schools located in Bournemouth?

(Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training, PAT, PFT)

What about Aerodynamics Malaga in Spain?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

flying_shortly
18th May 2009, 14:01
Looking through the options on the schools' websites. There are so many options... Multi, single, x amount of hours, simulator.... Could someone explain what is necessary and what is the best route to go financially and training-wise please...

MAXTHRUSTV1
18th May 2009, 23:43
I would do the MEIR on a PA34 for example rather than a DA42. I know the DA42 is very nice and makes life easy but flying a more difficult machine will put you in good form for single pilot IFR when flying air taxi or charter which for most will be the first job steps.

Just advice from flying both but each to their own all the best and good luck!!

P-T
19th May 2009, 01:36
I'm with Cpt Rossco.

I went for the APP myself, but I think the Modular route or Waypoint as its now called is better than any other school I went to.

I visited, FTE, Multiflight, Cabair, CTC (although they only did integrated) and Air Atlantic. And knew as soon as I went OAA that it was teh one for me.

Having finished around the same time as Rossco I can safely say I have no regrets. But it is a very ersonal choice of how you feel when viewing a FTO and the wallet obvioulsy comes into it. OAA is more expensive but it is also well respected (not saying the others aren't) and on researching prior to starting the course almost all my airline connections said "if you can afford Oxford, then its worth it's weight in Gold". However, the current climate is not exactly boyant. but by the time you finish training it should be a good place to be.

Hope this helps and good luck.