PDA

View Full Version : In FLL on the 6th November? Want to rub shoulders with Sir Freddie Laker?

The Guvnor
21st Oct 2001, 18:44
Have received this from a friend in FLL who is organising what promises to be a most enjoyable evening.

One of the great legends in the British airline industry is Sir Freddie Laker.

Sir Richard Branson told me in Miami in April 1993 "Sir Freddie is my idol. Sir Freddie is a major reason I started Virgin Atlantic."

Sir Freddie was a pioneer and the FIRST entrepreneur in the airline business. He is an amazing, indefatigable 79 with that same fighting twinkle in his eye. He lives in Freeport, Bahamas in a house he and Lady Laker had built last year with a pied-a-terre in Boca. He still runs his successful charter airline business based out of Ft. Lauderdale & Freeport.

Sir Freddie and Lady Laker will be at The British Ball in Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday November 3rd.

This is a rare opportunity....he gets swamped with invitations and accepts few. He is such a super, amiable bloke and I think it would be marvellous to have British pilots & aviation biz people at the ball who admire him or just want to shake his hand. Sir Freddie will be accompanied by his longtime pilot pal, Terry Fensome, who flew often for Laker. Terry now runs Pelican Airways flying school in South Florida.

British showbiz celebrity Mike Winters of Mike and Bernie Winters fame and Florida's British Consul with also be VIP guests.

If you'd like us to email you an invitation with full details please reply to this email.
Include your name and daytime phone.

----Patricia Kawaja, Ball Coordinator
President Florida Association of British Business
(954) 565-3429
Email to: [email protected]

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: The Guvnor ]

gyrohead
21st Oct 2001, 20:49
Well Guvbuster! Wanna have a go at this post? Or is it safe to asume there is nothing objectionable in a piece about Freddie Laker? :rolleyes:

sabenapilot
21st Oct 2001, 21:57
hi Neil-
That friend of yours wouldn't be you by any change, would it?
Anyway, it seems you're finally going to sell your first tickets then...although only tickets for a convention i.s.o. your long awaited airline....
Got any clue by now?

The Guvnor
21st Oct 2001, 22:27
Umm, no, it says there quite clearly who my friend is:

(954) 565-3429

You silly boy! :D :rolleyes: :D

GoneWest
22nd Oct 2001, 06:53
Don't suppose you care...but I have the same e-mail.

Was invited to the party, too.

(954) 565-3429

Guvnor...wanna send me an e-mail??

The Guvnor
22nd Oct 2001, 14:58
GoneWest - check your private messages in your profile!

Careful, or that idiot tolipanebas (aka Sabenapilot on Airliners.net) will think you're me! :D :D

Sid's Stars
26th Oct 2001, 15:59
ive also got an updated email about it:

[ Final numbers in this Wednesday October 31 so please phone ASAP. VISA /Mastercard accepted. Or email in your booking with VISA/MC info ].

... eBritNews....
Going out to Florida's British Community
Published by British Bureau of Florida, established 1991
Largest British Contacts Database in Florida.
Tel. (954) 565-3429 E-mail: [email protected]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------ Please forward this to anybody you know who might be interested. Let's all help each other ----------

INVITATION: YOUR STUNNING SELF IS REQUESTED
THE BRITISH BALL English Irish Scottish Welsh
A memorable fun soiree ! Presented by the Florida Association of British Business [FABB]
GUESTS OF HONOUR: Sir Freddie and Lady Laker
Her Majesty's British Consul for Florida Robin Baylis and Mrs. Baylis
British showbiz celebrity Mike Winters [of Mike and Bernie Winters fame], with English artist wife Cassie .
Just announced: Florida's new, incoming British Consul Simon Davey who is succeeding Robin Baylis will also be joining us. Also from the British Consulate in Miami, Vice-Consul John Wright. British pubowners and other notable Britons attending too. This is not a couples only evening---singles of all ages, will be at the Ball. No Ugly Sisters at this Bash. Our super American friends most welcome, of course!! This will be a frisky evening.....DON'T MISS IT MY DARLINGS. If your American spouse doesn't fancy this, come on your own.....many British guests are, the easier to mix and mingle and chat.
DATE: Saturday November 3, 2001 from 6p.m. to midnight. [IMPORTANT: DEADLINE FOR FINAL NUMBERS & PAYMENT IN: Wednesday October 31
LOCATION Ft. Lauderdale at Coral Ridge Yacht Club , 2800 Yacht Club Blvd, east Ft. Lauderdale near AIA and East Sunrise Blvd. A beautiful private, members-only club on the water. Ticketholders will be given exact directions.
YOUR GREAT-VALUE TICKET INCLUDES EVERYTHING! Open bar [free drinks] for 2 hours from 6-8p.m. on the patio with gourmet hors d'oeuvres like Oysters Rockefeller, wine with dinner , 3 course meal of Beef Wellington or Fillet of Dover Sole with crabmeat & champagne sauce , Dessert is British favourite classic Bread Pudding with warm vanilla sauce. Ticket includes the 26% gratuity & tax payable to club and your valet parking fees.
GRAND DOORPRIZE: Two roundtrip coach tickets to London from our major sponsor Virgin Atlantic Airways. An original signed artwork [retail value $1500] donated by the artist Cassie Winters. Other exciting doorprizes and giveaways. Our sponsors include Tetley's beer, Boddington's Beer, Express Newspapers from London [Internation Express...the week's news from Britain mailed to your Florida home], Union Jack British Newspaper [Florida office], British pubs and British businesses in Florida.
TOP PROFESSIONAL BRITISH ENTERTAINMENT: Dancing after dinner. Popular local British band Mad Cow with English lead singer Stewart Harris.
Also featuring The Rod Stewart Tribute Band's leadsinger George Orr, a Scotsman with a fabulous voice. English MC John Elton. FUN! FUN! FUN!
PHOTOS: Professional British photographer Chris Kakol of Corporate Image Photography has been booked to take souvenir photos of you in your finery. For [optional] puchase on the night-------ready to take home and frame!
DRESSCODE: MEN: Tuxedo or dark suit or kilts. Ladies dress to the nines.
HOTEL: Have negotiated an exceptionally low rate at nearby Holiday Inn on the Ocean [AIA and East Sunrise Blvd on Ft. Lauderdale Beach] , for ballguests not wanting to drive back. $79 a night instead of normal $159 on a November weekend. Ask Patricia how to book with our special code.
COST: FABB members $90. Non-members $100. TO BOOK: Phone British Ball coordinator Patricia Kawaja (954) 565-3429. Tollfree outside South Florida 1-877-977-6483. PAY BY VISA/MASTERCARD ON THE PHONE. Mail cheques to FABB, NE 35 Street, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
CHARITY: A donation will be made to the Florida Royal British Legion annual remembrance Poppy Day benevolent fund, for war heroes and families.

INFO ABOUT FABB, the FLORIDA ASSOCIATION OF BRITISH BUSINESS. Helping Brits Make it in America. Established in 1997. See website www.fabb.net (http://www.fabb.net) Annual membership in FABB is $125 which is tax-deductible. (For companies of 10 employees or more $175). FABB offers cheap flights to the UK, calls to UK for only 6c a minute, major medical insurance for Brits from only $70 a month and immigration advice for Brits who need a Green Card. We organize and promote British events around South Florida. 95% of our members are are resident English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh professionals in every field. We also have a few French, German, South African and American members. FABB's Patron is British showbiz celebrity Mike Winters, a Miami Beach resident.
FABB: Tel.(954) 565-3429 FAX (954) 565-1525 Email: [email protected] MAIL: 1501 NE 35 Street, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334