PDA

View Full Version : Heli down in Ireland

ForceTrim
2nd Apr 2009, 12:39
Unconfirmed reports circulating that an overdue Weston based Hu269 has been found by SAR with 2 possible fatalities. A tragic 24 hrs in the helicopter world if this report is accurate.

FT

mg1
2nd Apr 2009, 12:47
Just heard this reported on rte radio - 'reporting 2 feared dead'- said the coastguard spotted the heli over the bog of allen.
thoughts with all concerned

mg1
2nd Apr 2009, 13:01
Independent.ie

A training instructor and a student pilot have died in a helicopter crash in the Bog of Allen in Co Kildare.
The pair took off from Weston Airport near Dublin at around 5pm yesterday, but failed to return.
A search was mounted today and the Coastguard rescue helicopter from Dublin Airport spotted the wreckage in an isolated area of bog near the Kildare-Meath border at around midday today.
The Irish Aviation Authority is co-ordinated an investigation into the crash.

rotorspin
2nd Apr 2009, 13:14
Damn and blast :(

mr.plow
2nd Apr 2009, 14:08
another sad day..

R22 Driver
2nd Apr 2009, 14:26
was a schweizer 300. crashed 4 miles south of enfield after striking wires. initial thoughts are that they were practising PFL's at the time. my thoughts are with the family of both people involved.

VeeAny
2nd Apr 2009, 15:01
What a bloody awful day for helicopters.

My thoughts are with the guys involved in this and their families and friends.

These things have far wider reaching consequences than we perhaps can imagine.

Gary

petemate
2nd Apr 2009, 15:05
Oh man...not another one,I was a student there.Does anyone know who was onboard.Dont want to start rumours.Please pm me if you know,I have friends there.

Prayers and thoughts we the whole heli world at the mo

Pete

Paddyviking
2nd Apr 2009, 15:46
I have to agree with you VeeAny
Flying offshore as I do I accept the risks
but those at home
are begining to question my choice of career
Lets hope these accidents gives us all a wake-up call
and makes us take a fresh look at safety in our industry

I cannot imagine what the families of involved in these terrible accidents
are going through--my thoughts are with them

pv

Trans Lift
2nd Apr 2009, 16:15
Another sad day in this uncertain industry. RIP mate. We're going to miss you.

ppheli
2nd Apr 2009, 16:21
Irish Times Report (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0402/breaking55.htm)

FLY 7
2nd Apr 2009, 16:22
Bad news headline events like these are very sobering.

Fortunately, the statistics may not be so bad. According to the BBC news today, during 40 years of offshore helicopter operations in the UK, there have been about 60 million passenger movements and a little over 100 fatalities. If correct, that's 2.5 fatalities pa per 1.5 million passenger movements.

Likewise the H/S.300 has a very good safety record. As trainers, quite a few will have been crashed without harm to the occupants, owing to good safety features. And those few fatalities have usually been due to a variety of avoidable pilot errors.

Enda Conefrey
2nd Apr 2009, 17:39
RIP to the two lads and heartfelt condolences to the families and friends.

chester2005
2nd Apr 2009, 18:26
so much for things going in 3s

I was asked last night "are you sure you want to do that for a living"

Thoughts to those who are lost and have lost

Chester:(

highonsnow
2nd Apr 2009, 20:05
I've just heard from a friend of mine over Skype who the Instructor, as I knew him, but I don't feel it's my duty to announce a name.

Deeply saddened by this tragic accident, RIP, wish it wasn't so.

tu154
2nd Apr 2009, 20:41
Just been on the news here. Looks pretty conclusive that they hit a powerline, why will be another matter.
RTE news now updated to include the names.
RTÉ News: Two dead after Kildare helicopter crash (http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0402/kildare.html)

helicrazi
2nd Apr 2009, 20:58
RIP C.C. go easy mate :sad:

The Ferret
3rd Apr 2009, 03:05
Tragic news. Sincere condolences to both families. Colm you will be sorely missed, especially by everybody on this side of the Atlantic - RIP and keep it in the green up there.:sad::sad:

KBM
3rd Apr 2009, 08:36
Having been fortunate to spend time in the air with Colm, I would like to express my condolences and best wishes to all of his family and friends.

A sobering reminder of the dangers and risks involved in our industry.... What a week!

KBM:(

savagehead
3rd Apr 2009, 16:08
I have had the pleasure of flying with Colm and attending ground school with Dermot.

Two lovely guys!
My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of both men. RIP

Whirlybird
3rd Apr 2009, 16:28
This is, of course, tragic. But let's get things in perspective. How many people do you think have been killed in car crashes in the last few days? You don't know? Of course you don't - it's so common that it no longer gets reported by the media. :{

bluestack
3rd Apr 2009, 20:30
This isn't the media, it's a grouping of people in a small industry.

Had we all been rally drivers, and one crashed, I'm sure we'd all be saying the same as we are here.

You were a top bloke Colm, it was a pleasure to have known you, RIP.

mini
3rd Apr 2009, 21:56
Latest scenario being suggested was that they may have been practicing an auto and hit a powerline on the way down.

It was mentioned that the powerline they hit was not live at the time. Unusual.

Could it be that the powerline was a local installation (BNM)/obsolete and not marked on charts?

Anyone with knowledge or experience on this?

Ber Nooly
3rd Apr 2009, 22:12
Only high tension powerlines are depicted on the charts. The line involved here looked more like a normal "telephone pole" line, for want of a better description

Trans Lift
4th Apr 2009, 01:30
Colm you will be sadly missed by us all. It was a pleasure to know you and I'm so sorry that you have left us so soon. Take it easy up there and teach those angels how to fly..........RIP