PDA

View Full Version : "Old" and still starry eyed

tunder1
2nd Apr 2009, 08:44
I have been reading on this (and other) forums for years now, and I figured it was time to get some input based on my own situation (I'm probably not alone in this). I'm 30 y old, live together with my girl, who says she supports my decision, whatever it may be. Sure, I've seen similar posts, but here goes..

I have always had a dream of flying. (blah blah) Started out when I was really young, with model airplanes, simulators and so on.. Being relatively economically realistic, I decided to (at the age of about 20) get a univeristy degree and work, as in a "normal" life. This has gone all well, and I have achieved my degree (almost 2), and have a good deal of experience from "normal" jobs. I am currently back in school, to gain better qualifications etc. But here is the thing; I still, more and more, think about flying for a living. Last year I started my PPL with the intention of it being just for recreation, and I absolutely love it. Love it. A friend of mine, who is flying the super puma offshore said to me prior to the intro ppl flight that it was the dumbest thing to do, because I he knew how I would react. But knowing me all my life he still said I should do it. So I did. And he was right.
This has caused two results; For one, I love it as much as I thought I would. And two, I has gotten me to think that I would never be able to really sink into comfortability with a normal 8-4 job again..
Also, I'm fully aware of the situation emplymentwise, and of course the cost associated with this horrificly expensive education. Still, I am currently in a position where I can finance just about 100% of the cost of this run, but on the other hand, thats all I have to my name right now..

I think you see what I'm getting at..

So my question is: Do I continue to be this "starry eyed dreamer", keeping it safe, saving my money, and work a job that is "ok" with a decent income, have a family etc, always wondering..?
Or, do I ante up my savings and my life as it is right now, and go for it?
Do I want to exchange "content" and perhaps "happy", for chance of fulfilling a dream with a risk of loosing a lot, putting me back years. (both eco and socially)

I have the class 1 medical done also btw. Did it just to "know" :D and btw, sorry if this post is a little cluttered...

I know there are no definitive anwers to my questions, but if some of you would share a thought...:O

quant
2nd Apr 2009, 10:24
threads of note:

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/51690-perpetual-am-i-too-old-how-old-too-old-thread-merged-several-times.html

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/335548-growing-evidence-upturn-upon-us.html

BSmuppet
2nd Apr 2009, 11:27
When I first signed up to PPrune, my first thread was about headsets.

Annnnnnnnyway, when I posted it, I got a message saying that my post will first be checked by a mod. this was a few weeks ago and it never got put up.

I ccame to the conclusion that any first thread is checked by a mod - to make sure it isn't spam or to make sure it isn't a nonsensical subject - i.e something that has been asked for time and time again.

So how on earth did this first post get through??????? F me, its the second "am i too old" post today!

tunder1
2nd Apr 2009, 11:55
I know, lot of "age-threads". :bored:
That was not the intention, the topic just came out like that. My aim was more in the direction of choice between could-have, would-have, should-have, or lost it all vs ever wondering....;)

BSmuppet
2nd Apr 2009, 12:08
Tunder01,

If your question was simply "Am I to Old", then the answer would be a resounding NO.

However as you have pointed out, your question is somewhat different.

"Or, do I ante up my savings and my life as it is right now, and go for it?
Do I want to exchange "content" and perhaps "happy", for chance of fulfilling a dream with a risk of loosing a lot, putting me back years. (both eco and socially)"

My friend, we can not answer this. Whatever you choose, your life and your family's life will change by either one of 2 extreme. You will either get a job with agood money and your family will be set up for life PLUS you will have reached your dream. Or you could make your family broke becasue you never got a job. From what I have heard, there is no in-between.

One thing I have learnt is that some pople, even after everything they have spent, will never get an interview, let a lone a job. I'm prepared for that eventuality due to my status. The question is are you prepared for this and can the family survive?

tunder1
2nd Apr 2009, 12:22
I know definite answer to questions like these are almost impossible to give, but what I was looking for, were opinions like yours that are based on experience (or any other basis for that matter..)

:)

Grasscarp
2nd Apr 2009, 14:16
If you go for it and it works out you will be very very happy. If you go for it and although qualified dont immediately get work it will be an enormous achievement. If you dont go for it you will never know what you could do and have a gnawing "if only" type of existance. Really you have to go for it! I started flying much later than you, managed to get through it all, got some freelance work. And the flying training spawned teaching work and increased my knowledge to the extent I have now a very good ground post in the aviation industry.

isi3000
3rd Apr 2009, 14:47
So how on earth did this first post get through???????

Tunder1 hasn't mentioned age being a problem in the first post :=

?

tunder1
6th Apr 2009, 07:17
yep, that was kind of my plan.. I'll have my PPL sometime this summer, and I thought it'd be a good idea to take the atpl gs during the fall and winter, and then go to florida or somewhere else in the US.
The JAA ATPL exams are valid for 36 months right?
So then I can get my licences converted upon return (in Norway, where Im at)
I just hope the J-1 visas are still issued next year.... :ooh:

Anyone have experience with taking the ATPL gs before any flight training above PPL? I see the challenge of taking it all in with only the relatively shallow basis of the PPL theory..... :\

smith
6th Apr 2009, 20:47
Oh come on, I think the mods need to put up a new sticky entitled

"the perpetual am I doing the right thing, yes I know only I can make the final decision myself but what would you do ad nauseum thread"

johnnyDB
7th Apr 2009, 11:37
Yup, i too often plough through this site to see if there is something new, i haven't already read somewhere before...