Eternal Father, strong to save
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave.
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep
Oh hear us when we cry to thee
For those in peril on the sea.

Roadhouse
1st Apr 2009, 16:09
Thoughts and prayers for family and friends.

bluesilk
1st Apr 2009, 16:25
What a dreadful day. Don't have the words except to say my thoughts and prayers are with those lost and their loved ones RIP.

Banksman
1st Apr 2009, 16:28
thoughts and prayers go to everyone involved :sad:

9Aplus
1st Apr 2009, 18:25
Sad day indeed.
Condolences to families.
RIP
:sad:

disting1
1st Apr 2009, 18:43
My thoughts also to all those on board and also to all those working for Bond. Must be a terrible time for them coming so soon after the first one.

Aser
1st Apr 2009, 19:05
My condolences to all involved :sad:
what a terrible year...

Regards
Aser

norunway
1st Apr 2009, 19:24
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings.
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air,
Up, up the long delirious burning blue.
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew;
And while with silent uplifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God!

Thinking of everybody in Bond and on the Miller at this time.

Jigsaw
1st Apr 2009, 19:30
Such a terrible accident, my thoughts are with you all at Bond/BP Miller.

rotorrookie
1st Apr 2009, 19:37
Very sad news:( my condolences to their friends and families. lets pray for those still missing

tuscan
1st Apr 2009, 20:40
As a passenger of 20 years and hundreds of flights it is always shocking and thought provoking when such disasters happen. My thoughts are not just with those involved but also with other pilots and passengers who will have this on their minds in the future, those who have lost friends, colleagues and loved ones. I always reflect on my own life and family during long flights over water, most of the lads just sleep, I never could and doubt I ever will. Being an Aberdonian from Dyce I have been brought up with the oil industry and many family members and friends are out there on a regular basis. My heart sinks every time the news breaks of another crash. You feel more involved when your local (although I have moved away now). Long term residents of Dyce vividly recal every one.

For those of you involved in the industry I hope that the investigation will help to improve your/our future safety.

Onward and Upward.

Tuscan (just visiting from Private Flying)

snoopy1
1st Apr 2009, 21:25
I am writing on behalf of our family who would just like to say we are thinking about the families of the Crew and Pax and so sorry for what you are going through. We too lost someone through similar unfortunate circumstances with G-Blun and we are very sorry to hear about another such tragedy and more losses of valuable human life. Our thoughts are with you.

L'WAAPAM
1st Apr 2009, 21:26
A Very sad day,

RIP guys and condolences to family and loved ones,

L'

cyclicmick
1st Apr 2009, 21:37
I would just like to add my condolences to the families of all those lost today.

VeeAny
1st Apr 2009, 22:37
Having read the other thread and following the suggestion from Splot that someone may wish to start another condolences thread, I will.

Regardless of who is involved in this awful incident I for one offer my condolences to their families and friends.

From several sources now (including his mother) I believe that one of my best friends was the Captain of this flight, I still hold on to a faint glimmer of hope that he and the others who are still missing will be found.

I sit with tears in my eyes as I type but we love you mate, and we are all hoping you will come home to us.

GS

stan27
1st Apr 2009, 23:03
Veeany, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. You have my deepest heartfelt sympathy and I pray that the miracle everyone is hoping for happens. This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts are with the families and friends of those left behind.

Stan

alouette3
1st Apr 2009, 23:22
Condolences and God speed to all who have gone. Hopes and prayers that there are survivors.
God Bless to those left behind:family,friends,colleagues and pilots around the world.
Alt3.

Roadhouse
1st Apr 2009, 23:31
Heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to family and friends of those who are lost and still missing. Having just gone through the same thing here in Newfoundland, I can very much relate to what those close to this accident are experiencing. Godspeed.

Whirlygig
1st Apr 2009, 23:33
G, my thoughts are with you and the family and friends of those who've died and those who are going through the agony of not knowing. I sincerely hope those missing will be found alive.

Sympathies,

Whirls

Ned-Air2Air
1st Apr 2009, 23:48
VeeAny - Sorry for the loss of your friend. Enjoy those memories you have of him as those can never be taken from you.

To all the friends, family, and work colleagues of those who died today I would like to extend our deepest sympathies for your losses from everyone here at HeliOps.

May your loved ones Rest in Peace and never be forgotten.

Ned
:(:(:(

chester2005
1st Apr 2009, 23:55
RIP all that are lost
Thoughts , prayers and heartfelt wishes to all that have lost

Chester:(

Slotty
1st Apr 2009, 23:56
Miss you guys. Sad day.

Nuada
2nd Apr 2009, 01:15
All about this so tiny world and our common profession, our heads are bowed together.
God Bless all....

Captain-Beanie
2nd Apr 2009, 02:35
Thoughts are with all the guys that sadly crossed over today, a sad day for us all...

gwelo shamwari
2nd Apr 2009, 02:37
God Speed...

S.M.S
2nd Apr 2009, 03:43
my condolences :(

stabout
2nd Apr 2009, 05:34
Condolences and God speed a very sad day for all those involved. R.I.P

T4 Risen
2nd Apr 2009, 06:01
vee any check pm's please.

Rotormaniac
2nd Apr 2009, 06:43
I heard this morning that a member of the flight crew was a gentleman I had the greatest pleasure of knowing... my condolences are sent to the familiy and friends he left behind, rest in peace my friend we will always remember you.

supapuma
2nd Apr 2009, 07:05
Get in touch...

"The other half"

JimL
2nd Apr 2009, 07:12
So sorry for all concerned.

Jim

papa68
2nd Apr 2009, 07:15
What a terrible tragedy to have occurred so quickly on the back of recent happenings. I can't imagine how those intimately involved must be coping right now.

My family's thoughts and prayers are with you all. For those of you venturing out to do your job, both pilots and oil rig workers, take care and get back to your families safely.

RIP
P68:(

R44-pilot
2nd Apr 2009, 07:21
Condolences to all involved. Prayers going out to all involved, families and friends. :( R.I.P
Special prayers that they find some hope with the missing 8......

Capt. Phuong
2nd Apr 2009, 07:24
Hi!
Deeply condolences for Their family and Bond also on a very sad day.

collector
2nd Apr 2009, 08:24
Condolences to all involved...RIP :(

Attila
2nd Apr 2009, 08:46
My most sincere condolences to all families, friends and colleagues at this sad, sad time.

jock04
2nd Apr 2009, 09:22
My deepest condolences to the familes & friends of all involved.
R.I.P.

BobbyBolkow
2nd Apr 2009, 10:07
Heard the news yesterday afternoon and spent the rest of the day in quiet reflection.
As a past (Old) Bond jockey I still know many of the guys up there and hoping against hope that it isn't any of my old buddies.
My thoughts are with the families who have lost loved ones in this terrible tradgedy and with those at Bond who will have to work through this and pick up the pieces!
Another grey day for the industry.

Rest in peace guys and may the angels look after you.

NorthSeaTiger
2nd Apr 2009, 10:37
Rest in Peace guys

NST

helihog
2nd Apr 2009, 11:53
Condolences to all, my thoughts and prayers are with their familes, what a sad day.

TipCap
2nd Apr 2009, 12:05
Having flown the North Sea for more years than I like to remember, I would like to offer my sincerest condolences to all at Bond Offshore and the families affected by this tragedy.

Personally, I don't know too many of you guys across the road but rest assured you are in my thoughts.

I will think of the sadness you are going through and hope that the support we other pilots can give may be helpful at this time

TC

rotorpol
2nd Apr 2009, 12:06
My condolences for all affected by this tragedy.

I hope our thoughts will help the families and friends of crew and passengers.

This is the tough part of our business..

Good trip wherever you go...

DirtDiver
2nd Apr 2009, 12:24
My and mine collegues minds are with every one who is involled at this terrible accident!!

May the POB's RIP!

NST
2nd Apr 2009, 14:13
As an Offshore worker I would just like to pass my condolences on to the families of the crew and passengers.

g0lfer
2nd Apr 2009, 14:21
As an oil industry worker who flies helicopters for fun, I offer my condolences to all involved.

PoloJamie
2nd Apr 2009, 14:51
My sincerest condolonces to everyone involved in this tragic event.

VeeAny
2nd Apr 2009, 15:22
Now that Sky news have posted the names of the victims which have been released this afternoon, I think it appropriate to name my friend who was the captain of the aircraft, he was Paul Burnham who some of you will know from Biggin Hill Helicopters both during my time there and after I'd gone.

Several of us have been at his mums place in Kent for most of the day, where some members of his family have been (and officially still are, more of that later) waiting for news on Paul. His mum is stood here with me at the moment.

I cannot think of any words at the moment that will make this any better, I am sure some of us will come and write some words about him here in the next few days.

My thoughts are also with the families and friends of the others affected by this in particular those of Richard Menzies who was named as the Co Pilot.

pitot212
2nd Apr 2009, 15:26
A very, very sad day indeed. I too would like to offer my condolences to all the families and loved ones involved.

diginagain
2nd Apr 2009, 15:47
I, too would wish to offer my thoughts and condolences to the families and friends of those we lost yesterday. All of my colleagues shared a feeling of disbelief as the events unfolded, not far from where our rig is standing.

Long Box Jock
2nd Apr 2009, 15:58
I too would like to offer my condolences. Especially to the Family and Friends of Paul, who I worked with and knew at Biggin. An outstanding pilot and individual. A really, really sad day.

MightyGem
2nd Apr 2009, 17:27
A very sad time for all involved. Diginagain, glad to hear you are well.

Lplates
2nd Apr 2009, 20:01
Like many other colleagues I'm still in shock and find it difficult to believe what has happened.

I only new PB for a short period but will always remember his friendly nature and how he would go out of his way to make the new guys feel welcome. It was fun flying with him.

He certainly has many close friends here and will be truly missed.

Thoughts of RM's family at this time also.

Big Tudor
2nd Apr 2009, 20:46
Sincerest condolences to all families and friends. Many of those on board were close colleagues of my brother.

Once again the North Sea oil family has lost sons. May they rest in peace and may those who are grieving be blessed with the healing that only time can bring. Their memory will carry on forever.

biscuit74
2nd Apr 2009, 21:02
LIke Tuscan I spent quite a few years, maybe too many, flying as SLF out to N Sea rigs & platforms.
I knew several members of the drill crew who were killed yesterday. Sometimes the price is high.
We will mourn you all.

As well as the families and friends of those killed, my thoughts are also with those still out there waiting to return, or about to head out. Nerve wracking at a time like this.
Many passengers know little about aviation, and I know many retain hidden fears.

Bally Heck
2nd Apr 2009, 21:11
The flag that hung half-mast today
Seemed animate with being
As if it knew for whom it flew
And will no more be seeing.

(Betjeman)

With sorrow for the pain of the bereaved.

Ioan
2nd Apr 2009, 21:19
RIP Rich, you were a fantastic guy who we'll remember always. Still can't believe this has happened. My thoughts and condolences for the friends and family of everyone on board.

TiPwEiGhT
2nd Apr 2009, 21:22
My thoughts are with the family and friends of those lost.

May you rest in peace.

Fly safe all,

TiP:(

neilia
2nd Apr 2009, 21:52
My thoughts and condolences to all the friends and family of those lost. I knew RM briefly through ATPL theory, a lovely guy who loved helicopters and was completely dedicated to his goal of North Sea flying.
A very sad day.

BOOMER1
3rd Apr 2009, 02:53
My thoughts and prayers for all involved, on this yet another dark day in aviation.

SARCO
3rd Apr 2009, 05:18
Had high spirits after Feb 18th, now crushed and saddened after this week.

My thoughts are with you all.

fluffy5
3rd Apr 2009, 07:19
my condolences, I met Paul a couple of times, great chap.

fluffy

RotorsRunning
3rd Apr 2009, 07:37
I knew Paul briefly during his time at BHH, a great guy, my condolences to the friends & families of all involved.

RR.

Sgtfrog
3rd Apr 2009, 17:42
Paul,
I can't believe you're gone, I will miss you mate...

"May whatever you believe in protect you in the dark places that you must walk."
(Anon)

SF

rapman
4th Apr 2009, 09:18
My heart goes out to all the families and friends who have lost loved ones in this very sad and tragic accident.

Unfortunately I know all to well the pain that they are suffering. In time you will take some comfort from the findings of the AAIB who will investigate this accident in a professional and meticulous manner.

R.I.P.

Bravo 99
4th Apr 2009, 19:13
I tought Richard to fly and i was asked for a recomendation for him for the post, of which without hesitiation he got my praises.
He was a bright enthusiastic inteligent and able pilot, larger than life, he was like a younger brother to me, words fail me at his loss

RIP dear friend I hope the time that you had on the rigs was all that you expected.

our thoughts are with K his father and all of the family at this tragic time.also with paul and his family and all of the miller crew at this time.

AJB & CHB

vulcan558xh
6th Apr 2009, 11:28
And if I go while you're still here...

Know that I still live on,
Vibrating to a different measure
behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me,
so you must have faith.

I wait the time when we can soar together again,
both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to the fullest.
And when you need me,
just whisper my name in your heart,
....I will be there.

Colleen Hitchcock

maxwelg2
10th Apr 2009, 01:28
I thought it fitting that we should have a poem/lament from our national bard. I'm sure Rabbie Burns wouldn't mind me sharing this one.

This is called "A Mother's Lament", and for me applies to anyone who is taken away from us too soon.

Fate gave the word, the arrow sped,
And pierc'd my darling's heart;
And with him all the joys are fled
Life can to me impart.

By cruel hands the sapling drops,
In dust dishonour'd laid;
So fell the pride of all my hopes,
My age's future shade.

The mother-linnet in the brake
Bewails her ravish'd young;
So I, for my lost darling's sake,
Lament the live-day long.

Death, oft I've feared thy fatal blow.
Now, fond, I bare my breast;
O, do thou kindly lay me low
With him I love, at rest!

May all the friends and family take some comfort in the knowledge that their loved ones are in the prayers of many across the world and this industry, especially over here in Newfoundland where we are still mourning the loss of our fellow colleagues on Cougar 491.

God Bless.

chcoffshore
11th Apr 2009, 09:02
RIP gentlemen, a very sad loss.

Senior Pilot
17th Apr 2009, 03:10
BBC Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7997950.stm) on the memorial service:

The 16 men who died in the North Sea helicopter crash disaster were called "heroes" at a memorial service.

Prince Charles and Prime Minister Gordon Brown joined hundreds of relatives of the victims at the Kirk of St Nicholas in Aberdeen.

A candle was lit in memory of each of the men who died as their names were read aloud.

The men died when their Super Puma crashed off the Aberdeenshire coast two weeks ago.

Camilla, Duchess of Rothesay, and Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond were also in attendance at the memorial, as were about 100 workers from the Miller platform, from which the helicopter had been returning.

A screen was erected on Union Street to relay the service outside, and was watched by hundreds more people.

The service was conducted by the Reverend Andrew Jolly, chaplain to the North Sea oil and gas industry.

He said: "This occasion must be for us all today a time of great sadness and sorrow.

"Those of us here and those who join us outside and offshore and around the world cannot begin to imagine the pain and sorrow the relatives of those who perished on 1 April, 2009 must be feeling at this time."

He said those affected would never forget what had happened.

He added of the book of condolence: "It's important I believe at this time that such a book is created, for it serves to remind us of those who are the heroes of this industry.

"They have paid the ultimate price for the richness harvested below the seabed."

Mr Jolly said he would fly out to the Miller platform on Thursday to conduct a further memorial for those who could not attend.

Wednesday's service also honoured a 17th man who died in an unrelated offshore accident on the same day as the Bond Super Puma accident. David Stephenson, 44, of Willow Bridge, Northumberland, was a crewman on the Well Servicer, operated by Technip.

Speaking after the service, Mr Salmond said: "Today's service was an important opportunity for the families, friends and colleagues of those lost in this tragic accident to come together and remember them.

"The service was simple, dignified and enormously moving. It will mean a great deal to the families, as will the turnout from thousands of people to make their own tribute.

"Our thoughts are with the loved ones of the victims, and also with those in the emergency and voluntary services whose heroic efforts on the day of the accident sadly proved to be in vain."

He added: "Safety is the ultimate priority for those who work in the North Sea. Let that stand as a memorial we can give to the lives of those who died so tragically in this accident."

Aberdeen businessman Sir Ian Wood, chairman of the multi-million pound energy services firm John Wood Group, said: "The first emotion from the oil and gas industry is deep sorrow and sympathy for the families."

He said a safe environment was needed in the industry.

The memorial, which started at 1400 BST, was broadcast live on BBC Two Scotland, BBC Radio Scotland Medium Wave and on the BBC news website.

The Super Puma helicopter had been returning from BP's Miller oil platform when it crashed about 11 miles north east of Peterhead on 1 April.

All 14 passengers and two crew members on board were killed.

Eight of the victims came from the north east of Scotland, seven from the rest of the UK, and one from Latvia.

Early discussions have taken place on a possible permanent memorial for the victims of the Super Puma crash.

The matter will be discussed by the newly-formed Helicopter Accident Issues Task Group.

On Tuesday, Grampian Police said the bodies of 13 of the victims were being returned to their families. They said the other three would be released as soon as possible.

The wreckage was recovered from the seabed. It included the black box flight recorder, the fuselage with the engines and rotor gearbox attached, the separated rotor head with the main rotor blades still attached, and the separated tail.

An initial report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch found the helicopter had suffered a "catastrophic" failure in its main rotor gearbox.

Exo.
20th Apr 2009, 14:12
I had one of my first flights in the UK with Paul at BHH. He was a good man and a good pilot. As a reminder of why I wanted to fly in the first place, I still have the interview he did years ago in the newspaper.

My condolences to the friends and family of all those involved.

VeeAny
16th Sep 2009, 09:22
Shortly after the accident it was decided to dedicate the 'Helicopter Safety Uk' website, research and safety events in memory of Paul Burnham.

I have only just recently put together a short page on the site about Paul, it can be found here Helicopter Safety | Dedicated to Captain Paul Burnham (http://www.helicoptersafety.org/dedication.asp).

It is my way to ensure we do not forget and to honour a good friend.

Earl of Rochester
3rd Aug 2010, 06:11
A memorial fund for 16 men who died when a Bond Helicopters Super Puma helicopter crashed in the North Sea on 1st April 2009 has raised £370,000.

BBC News - North Sea helicopter crash fund raises £370,000 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-10828179)