PDA

View Full Version : Rating renewal advise please

EGCC Wannabe
1st Apr 2009, 21:17
I'm another low-houred fATPL who is currently part-time instructing.
My MEP expired last November, my MEIR is due to expire this month.
I'm after advice on what to renew or keep current, bearing in mind I have no airline interviews pending.
Money is very tight, one hours ME flying takes me 23 hours instructing to pay for it.

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.

TheBeak
1st Apr 2009, 21:46
Do the MEIR renewal in a sim, I am pretty sure you can.

Mikehotel152
2nd Apr 2009, 07:59
And what would you subsequently do about the expired MEP Rating when you obtain a job interview? Presumably you need to renew before you could start line training? :confused:

cessnagirl
2nd Apr 2009, 08:05
Egcc Wannabe:

Just Google "ir Renewals".

You'll Get A Diverse List Of Places.

-shop Around And Go With The One That Best Suits You.

-know What It Is You Need To Do And Get Something That Fits In With Your Requirements.

Good Luck,

Cg

nick14
2nd Apr 2009, 09:17
I was under the impression you didn't require an MEP class rating. You have an ME/IR valid and that is all you need for first TR.

Besides Multi Engine PISTON, surely by that point it will be turbo prop or jet, unless of course you do end up flying MEP's around

Mikehotel152
2nd Apr 2009, 10:48
:O point taken...

Serves me right for not engaging brain before posting.

MIKECR
2nd Apr 2009, 12:05
A current MEIR rating is required for the initial type rating, but not subsequent TR's. An MEP rating doesnt have to be current....as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike when it comes to TR's:)

Read Lasor's...the bible.

clanger32
2nd Apr 2009, 12:36
but as a thought on the subject....is it handy to have your MEP up to date, or does it really make no difference whatsoever...? (In respect of perception my [non piston!] employers?)

the_weakest_link
2nd Apr 2009, 18:06
In my experience a CURRENT MEP rating will only be of any use to you if you are going for a job involving flying an MEP.
The fact you have had one shows you're capable, the fact it is not current only shows you don't currently need it.
When your log book is checked in the interview process and it is evident that the only MEP flight in over a year was a flight test, the question then could be "why has the candidate spent good money on something not required?", and will they continue such wastage if employed?
That said, if you're thinking of applying for jobs flying MEP's, then it will definately help to have it current. Bear in mind however, that most MEP ops will be single pilot, and thus will have comparitively high minimum hours requirements!
All the above is only my opinion based on personal experience.

EGCC Wannabe
2nd Apr 2009, 21:25
Thanks for the replies guys and gals.
I was confused as to whether you could renew the MEIR without a valid MEP.

Thanks again.

boeingbus2002
2nd Apr 2009, 22:04
Another thought..does the school where you instruct have any twins?
Although you may not be instructing on that type they may have opportunities to ferry an aircraft around for charters/maintenance. This could be freebie flights as you are in the right place at the right time! Without current rating you couldnt do this.
If these opportunities do not exist, then perhaps back to plan A!

portsharbourflyer
2nd Apr 2009, 22:05
Eggc,

For a charge to the CAA (about 75 pounds ) you can get an IMC issued onto your licence on the grounds of your IR. This will be valid for 24/25 months from the date of your last IR test.

This will give you IMC priviliges to use while you are instructing. If you renew in the sim then the next renewal will have to be in the aircraft. If an interview does arise then it will only take a day or two to renew the IR in the sim.

Otherwise this still provides you with some instrument capability while allowing you to delay an IR renewal for another year.