PDA

View Full Version : Andulas Airlines for Gib?

nivsy
1st Apr 2009, 17:59
Local press are saying Andulas Airlines will fly from Madrid to Gibraltar twice a day commencing the end of April.

Any further news and what equipment is likely to be used?

Nivsy

IB4138
1st Apr 2009, 18:18
An ex BE (BA Regional) Emb 145 is their only aircraft.

malagajohn
2nd Apr 2009, 10:01
At the moment , they are flying from Sevilla and Malaga to Marrakech and Nador - the Marrakech servcies are twice weekly

They only have one aircraft at the moment , so its hard to see how they will do a twice daily from GIB to Mad - BCN has also been rumoured as well

I would doubt there is a market for a twice daily service from GIB at the moment

barry lloyd
2nd Apr 2009, 12:33
Confused here:confused:

Would that be Al Andalus Airlines by any chance?

nivsy
2nd Apr 2009, 12:38
Andulas Lineas Aereas will be headed by Fernando Guerrero, ex-manager of the bankrupt firm Air Madrid - it appears.

Nivsy

man friday
2nd Apr 2009, 13:01
acording to their website Andalus - Bienvenido (http://www.andalus.es)

they're flying Gib, madrid ,barcelona and bilbao

no dates as yet, but i'll believe it when they're parked on the apron!!

malagajohn
3rd Apr 2009, 09:15
Todays Diario Sur says the airline will start flying Gib - Mad from 30th April

24 services per week

How they can do this and still manage the current flights ex SVQ and AGP to Morroco , remains to be seen

Andalus estrenará nuevas rutas. SUR.es (http://www.diariosur.es/20090403/turismo/andalus-estrenara-nuevas-rutas-20090403.html)

IB4138
3rd Apr 2009, 12:34
Mon-Fri: GIB 08.20 MAD 09.40
MAD 10.30 GIB 11.45
GIB 18.10 MAD 19.30
MAD 20.15 GIB 21.30

Sat: Only morning rotation operates.
Sun: Only evening rotation operates.

HZ123
3rd Apr 2009, 12:42
How nmany frames do they have as if it is only one / two have they other routes planned as at this time I cannot see enough yield can be forthcoming for only 24 ops a week? I am sure someone can tell me I am wrong.

malagajohn
3rd Apr 2009, 12:46
Only one a/c at the moment

Not sure what they plan to do with the services out of SVQ and AGP to Morroco

Should also be interesing to see how the pax loads will be to MAD - Iberia were not too succesful in spite of the connections they offered

nivsy
3rd Apr 2009, 13:21
One of the problems that I could see with Iberia is that did not operate the route at the best times of the day for pax to take full advantage connections and that the Airbus was perhaps just a bit too big for the route after the first few months. They were ofcourse for a period of time competing with GB/BA on the route whiich ironically went to no flights a day to 3 daily (2 by BA and 1 by IB).

If they are using baby Embs on the route you never know......it just might work. When I went with BA the airplane was generally quite well packed - with Iberia not quite so.

I admire them for trying anyhow if it gets of the ground.

Nivsy

learjet50
3rd Apr 2009, 13:30
Hi

I understand a Fly Be E145 is going on lease ??

TheQuietLife
4th Apr 2009, 16:43
on the route whiich ironically went to no flights a day to 3 daily (2 by BA and 1 by IB).

It was never 3 a day to MAD.

The problem was that for the brief period when IB and GT were operting the route IB still had their flight at that stupid lunchtime slot which was of little value, the GT slot was a bit too late but was far more usable for both business and leisure pax - indeed the business day trip market (to the extent there was one developing) would overnight it and fly BA both ways to get a full day in.
Had IB switched to a morning rotation when GB arrived I believe it would have been more likely to work - although it would have taken time to grow to A319 levels.

There is certainly (if it can be given time to develop) market for a twice daily in the 50 seater ranger with good flight times.

Although it would be better if it was Air Nostrum for connections, oneworld lounge access in mad etc. Or spainair, aireuropa, etc to diversify.

That said, good luck to them, if they have the resources to allow it time to develop I think it will work. Indeed, assuming they have planned with such resources I think their biggest worry is someone trying bcn-gib before they try it, and using that to in turn muscle them out.

TartinTon
4th Apr 2009, 18:23
Interesting that you seem to think that BA/IB were in competition when in fact they have agreement from the EU to effectively pool routes to/from the UK. There is no competition between BA and IB!!

nivsy
4th Apr 2009, 19:25
This route was not a "pooled route" and was certainly politically motivated. The price search engines between the two carriers were never linked and normally BA flights to Madrid were cheaper than using Iberia.

Agreed it never went to 3 flights a day however that was the intention in the early days....with Iberia from may 2008 changing their slot from lunch time to evening departure from Gib.

Nivsy

TheQuietLife
4th Apr 2009, 20:12
Interesting that you seem to think that BA/IB were in competition when in fact they have agreement from the EU to effectively pool routes to/from the UK. There is no competition between BA and IB!!I agree with you that they were not competing on this route - but remember this was GT partnering with IB (even the BA uniform staff in the checkin area in MAD would say that the flight was nothing to do with them!), also is not a route UK to Spain, but Gibraltar to Spain.

Remember also that IB codeshared onto the GB service, but not the other way around.

Regarding price, IB are strange (in my opinion) when it comes to which routes they allow to be comepative. When booked with IB code this was always, in my experience, priced at very expensive price - if not actually full IATA Y!. GB priced it as a route to try and make it sucessfull (yes with fully flex Y available too for the blue chip and govt). Same was true with biz pricing, they were trying to make it work, IB seem to refuse to adopt that policy on a number of routes and GIB was one of them..