PDA

View Full Version : UK Domestic flights photo at security

T250
1st Apr 2009, 17:31
Last week I flew from a London airport on a budget airline to Scotland.

At security, outbound at the London airport (BAA airport), my boarding pass was checked by the security officer and I was then asked to face the camera in front of me to have a photo taken.

I then proceeded through security.

How does this system work exactly? I take it it is due to security, however I fail to see how this works exactly as I then sat in the departure lounge before moving to the departure gate, where only my boarding pass was consulted by the gate staff. So where does this photo at security come into play?

This photo process was not used on the return flight at security (again through a BAA airport in Scotland) so why do they need a photo at the London airport?

qwertyplop
1st Apr 2009, 18:16
Heathrow airport first to fingerprint - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1580993/Heathrow-airport-first-to-fingerprint.html)

T250
1st Apr 2009, 18:27
That link answers most of my questions, yet when I returned to the London airport I departed from (both BAA airports) the airport i departed in Scotland to return to London had a mixed departure lounge, and yet I wasn't photographed.